• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supporting Muslims as members of our communities

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Many will be aware of a large number of Muslims being shot in mosques last Friday in New Zealand. Muslims in two mosques located within Christchurch were targeted. They were unarmed and gathered together peacefully for worship. 49 were killed and over 40 were injured from gunshot wounds. The attack had been planned and perpetrated by a 28 year old Australian National who had set up base in the city I live. He actually lived just down the road from me. There appears to have been at least two other accomplices and police are continuing their investigations.

I am in shock as are many in my community. Yesterday community leaders met together with Muslim leaders to discuss how we can support our Muslim community. I was invited as I’m currently the chairman of our cities interfaith council a role which I feel largely unworthy to fulfill.

Many Muslims were feeling unsafe in our communities. The police investigation is ongoing and it is unclear if all perpetrators and accomplices are in custody. In the interim there are to be no meetings in mosques for safety reasons. As an outpouring of support many are approaching Muslim neighbours and associates with gifts and expressions of love and support. Most New Zealanders are appalled by the actions of these far right terrorists. At the meeting yesterday I mostly listened to the concerns of others as we collectively tried to find our way forward.

I’m wanting to discuss and reflect on the journey towards pulling together as a multicultural and multifaith community to support our brothers and sisters in the wake of an act of terrorism and hate. I also wanted to share my personal journey through this horrific time. Thanks for taking the time to read my OP and consider a topic that really affects each and everyone of us.

As it happened: 49 killed, 48 injured in Christchurch terror attack
What's the update of how things are going? Here, it is old news. Even with our own mass shootings... The U.S. just moves on and does very, very little to address the problems of gun violence.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the update of how things are going? Here, it is old news. Even with our own mass shootings... The U.S. just moves on and does very, very little to address the problems of gun violence.

We have now banned semi automatic weapons effective immediately.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release...tary-style-semi-automatics-and-assault-rifles

We should have done it after the Aramoana massacre in 1990 but the government was too conservative.

Aramoana massacre - Wikipedia

sooda

Veteran Member

We're big on sending thoughts and prayers.