• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for Things That Harm Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This question is not just about abortion but also any other freedom that considerably affects specific groups' well-being, health, or safety.

If you are a conservative, liberal, or otherwise and you oppose, say, the legalization of elective abortion, right to proselytize or openly practice one's religion (which is banned in some countries, such as Saudi Arabia, for all but the majority religion), or same-sex marriage, how do you square that with having friends who may be negatively affected by such legislation?

For example, I have conservative friends who have told me that knowing me has changed their views on apostasy: whereas they previously believed that apostates should face capital punishment, knowing one on a personal level has added a layer to their views on the issue that they didn't consider before. They changed their mind when the issue no longer became a mere distant abstraction to them.

So, if you support or oppose certain things such as the above and know someone who falls into a category of people who will be affected by them, do you take into consideration the effects of said views or a vote based on them on your friend, acquaintance, etc.? How do you address the knowledge that they may be harmed by something you endorse?

KW

This question is not just about abortion but also any other freedom that considerably affects specific groups' well-being, health, or safety.

If you are a conservative, liberal, or otherwise and you oppose, say, the legalization of elective abortion, right to proselytize or openly practice one's religion (which is banned in some countries, such as Saudi Arabia, for all but the majority religion), or same-sex marriage, how do you square that with having friends who may be negatively affected by such legislation?

For example, I have conservative friends who have told me that knowing me has changed their views on apostasy: whereas they previously believed that apostates should face capital punishment, knowing one on a personal level has added a layer to their views on the issue that they didn't consider before. They changed their mind when the issue no longer became a mere distant abstraction to them.

So, if you support or oppose certain things such as the above and know someone who falls into a category of people who will be affected by them, do you take into consideration the effects of said views or a vote based on them on your friend, acquaintance, etc.? How do you address the knowledge that they may be harmed by something you endorse?

Abortion kills the innocent.

It is part of the culture of death pushed on us by the left.

It treats human beings as tools to be used.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

If you are a conservative, liberal, or otherwise and you oppose, say, the legalization of elective abortion, right to proselytize or openly practice one's religion (which is banned in some countries, such as Saudi Arabia,
Love does no harm. It's job is to alleviate suffering.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

***STAFF EDIT***
No one is forcing you to have an abortion. The potential for life has taken precedence over life itself.

Judges lied. This is why Sodom was a horrible place to live. The self-righteous abusing their neighbors

Last edited by a moderator:

KW

***STAFF EDIT***
No one is forcing you to have an abortion. The potential for life has taken precedence over life itself.

Judges lied. This is why Sodom was a horrible place to live. The self-righteous abusing their neighbors

An unborn child is a human life. A child is not property.

Last edited by a moderator:

KW

Not per the bible it isn't. In fact, it can't be considered human until it takes the breath of life.

Again more lies

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.

You don’t believe the bible anyway, so why post that garbage?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

That doesn't answer my question. Let's say you knew a woman whose life could be endangered by an abortion ban, and it is a medical reality that there are many such women. How would her existence in your life factor into your views and/or voting choices considering how an abortion ban could affect her?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
So do cars, but not usually by intent.

Guns are a tool. Violence is a human choice.

Often enough by intent.

Guns are a tool specifically designed to kill.

In the case of abortion it is a legal choice in civilised countries. The American right has taken that choice. Taken the choice of what a woman does with her womb

KW

Often enough by intent.

Guns are a tool specifically designed to kill.

In the case of abortion it is a legal choice in civilised countries. The American right has taken that choice. Taken the choice of what a woman does with her womb

Abortion is murder, killing inconvenient human beings.

Guns are most often bought for self defense.

Guns are a tool. Abortion is killing by intent.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
An unborn child is a human life. A child is not property.

It is not a child it is a fetus,

Using deliberately emotional and incorrect language indicates you don't actually know much about the hunan life cycle but have been told what to say.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Abortion is murder, killing inconvenient human beings.

Guns are most often bought for self defense.

Guns are a tool. Abortion is killing by intent.

Not in civilised countries it isn't murder

Guns still are designed to kill and often do, they are intentionally used to kill. It doesn't matter how much you protest

KW

It is not a child it is a fetus,

Using deliberately emotional and incorrect language indicates you don't actually know much about the hunan life cycle but have been told what to say.

Your euphemisms don’t change reality.

Abortion kills an innocent human being because someone finds her inconvenient.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.

You don’t believe the bible anyway, so why post that garbage?
Hmmm, strange I've quoted more of the Bible to you, than you me. Is bearing false witness part of your Christian duality? The form mentioned is not the same as the spirit given. God knows its spirit because it's God's.

So God creates the form, the body, and when God breaths the breath of life into it, gives it the spirit, it becomes human. Same scenario with Adam. 1st the body is created and then the spirit enters in, or takes possession of the form. If the spirit never enters, the form is born stillborn.

If the form isn't fully formed, the vehicle is of no use. Two spirits cannot inhabit the same body. That is possession of two in one

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone, please keep in mind the OP topic. It isn't whether abortion is "murder" or whether gun ownership should be legal. I'm interested in answers concerning the specific kind of scenario I suggested in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.