• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for creationism in US at all time low

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been hearing this wild accusation for decades.
One wonders just how long the "approaching fast" will take....

You might have been hearing it for decades, but the refrain has been the same for hundreds of years.
Millennium, by Tom Holland, is a pretty light read which includes coverage of this.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Only in America amongst first world nations would such a thing be even jokingly required.

No such organization exists. I think it just was a sad attempt at humor.

What's funny is how U.S. conservative christians are so oblivious to the fact that they're on the fringe when it comes to climate change and evolution denial, the irony being that their stance is shared only by their scorned foes, the muslims.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One of our local AM radio stations has carried End Times Ministries' broadcast for quite a while now. I listen in now and then and I'm amazed at how the same guy (Irvin Baxter) can keep saying that it's all going to happen "very soon" for at least 20 years, and apparently none of his followers ever notices anything amiss.

To think that one is a part -- albeit a small part perhaps -- of a cosmic battle between good and evil that will very soon come to a head in an apocalypse is far more emotionally satisfying to people who lives are otherwise mundane and dreary than is the notion that changing diapers and making mortgage payments are the high points of their day and month.

Erebus

If anything, science brings people much closer to god than does the literal interpretation of silly goat herder fables.

At one time, this view was not only accepted but celebrated.

I remember studying some Enlightenment era poetry that positively marveled at what advances in science revealed about God's creation. A bit gushy for me, though I'd take that over the fire and brimstone stance any day of the week.

DavidFirth

Peter also prophesied well:

They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."

Ted Evans

Premium Member

They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."

So did Paul.

1 Timothy 4:1 (NASB95)

But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

No Christian can logically deny that is happening today.

Grandliseur

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-divisions-tom-krattenmaker-column/467800001/

All I can say to that is.....yay. :)

I think it kinda reflects the state of this board, where there seems to be 10 "evolutionists" for every 1 creationist.
If this situation hadn't come about, the prophesied end couldn't come. (Yeah, I know, just the ramblings of a delusional believer)

If this were a novel, you would not enjoy the ending, but I shall. Very soon, religion shall be attacked, but to what extend I do not know.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No such organization exists. I think it just was a sad attempt at humor.

What's funny is how U.S. conservative christians are so oblivious to the fact that they're on the fringe when it comes to climate change and evolution denial, the irony being that their stance is shared only by their scorned foes, the muslims.

Yup. I'm sure there is a proper term for it, but I think of it as a geographical version of recency bias.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

That's not the world's most amazing prophecy.

To whit, I predict that the world will drown in a sea of cheese. In the days leading up to this, brother will turn on brother, and the teachings of our forefathers will be discarded in ignorance. Many will question this prophecy in the upcoming times of trouble, but in the end only the true believers will live on past the fromage tsunami.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To think that one is a part -- albeit a small part perhaps -- of a cosmic battle between good and evil that will very soon come to a head in an apocalypse is far more emotionally satisfying to people who lives are otherwise mundane and dreary than is the notion that changing diapers and making mortgage payments are the high points of their day and month.

You're not seriously suggesting that children aren't devilspawn, and that a pooey diaper isn't the epitome of evil, are you?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Like the JW?

Oh, but we have to build more and more places for worship because we keep running out of room. The churches are dying due to a lack of support......for us it is the opposite. Nothing God blesses will fail.

When the world unites under one government, as the Bible prophesies, then all man-made religions will be the first to go. Every freedom man has ever fought for will be stripped away. Are you prepared for the greatest con in the history of mankind? A solution to world peace and security will be offered and accepted.....but it will end in the greatest calamity the world has ever seen. (Matthew 24:21) This is the Bible's warning message. :(