• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for creationism in US at all time low

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me this is the key point in that report and one I celebrate

As the poll reveals, the biggest factor in the shift is a jump in the number of Christians who are reconciling faith and evolution. They are coming to see evolution as their God’s way of creating life on Earth and continuing to shape it today.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What I find so telling about the fundy-creationist mind set is this:

"Fundamentalists are vowing to make a last stand for God in Dayton, Tenn., on July 14 when a new statue will be installed on the courthouse lawn. Going up alongside a likeness of William Jennings Bryan is a depiction of Clarence Darrow, Bryan’s pro-evolution adversary in Dayton’s historic Scopes Monkey Trial

The creationist organizing the protests is threatening to bring in a militia to thwart installation of the Darrow statue, which she calls an insult to God and Christians. It will take a lot more than that, though, to stop Americans’ growing acceptance of evolution and apparent shift away from the strict creationist view of the origin of the species."

redneck_christmas_29.jpg

"Anyone who insults us and our god is worthy of retaliation
by a militia. After all, we Christians are
the only true 'mericans."

DavidFirth

No surprise, really. Revelation predicts that Man will go further and further from God. The latter days are approaching fast.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
No surprise, really. Revelation predicts that Man will go further and further from God. The latter days are approaching fast.
I have been hearing this wild accusation for decades.
One wonders just how long the "approaching fast" will take....

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Few jobs come with more long-term security than Christian end times preacher. Everything is always "soon", "imminent", "just around the corner", but nothing ever happens. And as recent failed predictions indicate (along with the reemergence of certain televangelists), no matter how wrong or crooked you are, you'll never run out of faithful Christians who will buy your material and send you money.

If I didn't have any ethics, I'd give it a shot and likely die a wealthy man.

DavidFirth

You'll just have to wait and see,

"He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority."

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

"He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority."

I HAVE been waiting.
Literally, for DECADES.
Still nothing.

Is this just yet ANOTHER failed prophecy?

DavidFirth

I HAVE been waiting.
Literally, for DECADES.
Still nothing.

Is this just yet ANOTHER failed prophecy?

Like I said, you'll just have to wait and see.

God is patient with sinners, He wants to give them plenty of time to repent before that fateful Day of the Lord.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I HAVE been waiting.
Literally, for DECADES.
Still nothing.
One of our local AM radio stations has carried End Times Ministries' broadcast for quite a while now. I listen in now and then and I'm amazed at how the same guy (Irvin Baxter) can keep saying that it's all going to happen "very soon" for at least 20 years, and apparently none of his followers ever notices anything amiss.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One of our local AM radio stations has carried End Times Ministries' broadcast for quite a while now. I listen in now and then and I'm amazed at how the same guy (Irvin Baxter) can keep saying that it's all going to happen "very soon" for at least 20 years, and apparently none of his followers ever notices anything amiss.

To urge repentance using fear,
they say the end is very near.
But then they must
their date adjust
to float so that it's never here.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

And then the made up, out of a combination of the whole cloth and previous mythology the unsupported claim that, "He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.'"

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually, you need to look closer at the trends over a period of time. In reality those who believe in the Creationist view has remained stable from a high of 47% to a low of 40% in 2011. The range is consistent within the variation of polls.

In recent years though there is a drop in those believing in Theistic Evolution from a range of 38 to 40% to a all time low of 31%. This corresponds to the increase in those who believe in evolution without God (Philosophical Naturalism) to a high of 19%. This likely due to a trend among the young.

The history of the pools since 1982 indicate that the Fundamentalist Creationists remain entrenched in their view of both the young and the old.

I hope for a real change, but I am not optimistic.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men