• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunni Islam & Extremism

Raahim

مكتوب
Peace be upon you brothers & sisters,

I've been reading lots about terrorism these past few days, especially today due to that attack in München (which ended up not to be done by Muslim extremist but there are some people on the web claiming that the media said that just to calm down the crowd). As far as I know Al-Qaeda & ISIS are declared as Sunni Muslims, right? So is it the issue within Sunni Islam or is it just the coincidence since roughly 80% of Muslims are in the branch of Sunni or is it maybe the divisions within Sunni Islam that cause such acts? Is there even such thing as general teaching of Sunni on jihad (in any meaning)? I'm very fragile at the moment, I try to distance myself from these news and stories because they make me feel bad about Islam but then again I have strong feeling that Allah would never ever accept any kind of violence to others no matter what they are unless it was in war & you were first attacked. So what are your opinions, is it just coincidence due to the bigger number of Muslims in Sunni or is there something in its general teaching?

Since this is in Sunni DIR, I seek no debate but just answers.
Also local masjid is Sunni & I should go there tomorrow to talk with imam but I'm not comfortable asking this question at the moment since I'm new.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Salam, some centuries ago the inquisition was made by catholics. Does that mean catholicism or Christianity in general is bad ?
Should people leave their faith because of a group of people ?
Some people are bad and sometimes they are from a specific branch of the religion.

If you have doubts, it's better to ask now than fews years later.
The Imam will understand it and he is there for that. New in Islam or not.

Raahim

مكتوب
Salam, some centuries ago the inquisition was made by catholics. Does that mean catholicism or Christianity in general is bad ?
Should people leave their faith because of a group of people ?
Some people are bad and sometimes they are from a specific branch of the religion.

If you have doubts, it's better to ask now than fews years later.
The Imam will understand it and he is there for that. New in Islam or not.

Of course I wouldn't blame Christianity in general for actions in the past because not everyone was like that.
It's not about leaving the faith because of group of people but the issue is that such group of people turns majority of non-Muslim against Muslims in general & if (Allah forbid) a war occurs I get paranoid that Muslims will be persecuted because of the global media image on them.

Salam,

Brother I'm not sure why you are not familiar with Islamic sects and sub-sects. To be frank, it has nothing to do with being 80% or 20%. If it were the case you would find one Shia terrorist group per 4 Sunni terrorist group. Let me count one by one: ISIS, Al-Qaeeda, Al-Nusrah, Ahrar-Ashsham and...and...almost countless!!!
But dont worry brother, thought I'm Shia I'm not Munafiq. Sunni Muslims have been divided into four groups(Shafei, Hanafi, Maleki and Hanbali), you will find three of them as peaceful as you want. Especially Shafei Sunni Muslims(I've got a Shafei friend). Even in the case of Hanbali Muslims, you will be able to see so many nice and peaceful Muslims. However, their brain is ready to be washed as they practice "Takfir" a lot. Wahhabism, Salafism, and other extremist sub-sects are grown from Hanbali sect(Though Hanbali scholars reject them, saying they have nothing to do with us!).
Feel free to ask me any question about my sect.
May Allah guide us all through the right path.
And By the way, today is the birthday of Husain ibn Ali(a.s.), we had a happy day, I hope it be happy day for all brothers and sisters.

I am somehow familiar with Islamic sects & sub-sects it's just that I didn't dive deep in them because I would get confused on many things. :D Thank you for your answer. If I have a question I'll send you a message just so I don't "spam". :D

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Of course I wouldn't blame Christianity in general for actions in the past because not everyone was like that.
It's not about leaving the faith because of group of people but the issue is that such group of people turns majority of non-Muslim against Muslims in general & if (Allah forbid) a war occurs I get paranoid that Muslims will be persecuted because of the global media image on them.

I am somehow familiar with Islamic sects & sub-sects it's just that I didn't dive deep in them because I would get confused on many things. :D Thank you for your answer. If I have a question I'll send you a message just so I don't "spam". :D
I would be glad to talk to you my brother. It will be an honor for me.;)
By the way, Sunni-Shia discussions are welcome! Not to ruin brotherhood but to make it firm based on logic.

Raahim

مكتوب
I would be glad to talk to you my brother. It will be an honor for me.;)
By the way, Sunni-Shia discussions are welcome! Not to ruin brotherhood but to make it firm based on logic.

Since this is Sunni DIR debate or discussion are not welcome (not so sure on discussion). I personally couldn't care less who is Sunni, Shia, etc. as long as he/she is a good Muslim. However I don't prefer anyone who is in extremism.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Since this is Sunni DIR debate or discussion are not welcome (not so sure on discussion). I personally couldn't care less who is Sunni, Shia, etc. as long as he/she is a good Muslim. However I don't prefer anyone who is in extremism.
Brother, regardless of being Sunni or Shia, what's your plan for Mahdi(pbuh)? How are you going to help Mahdi and Christ, peace be upon them both?

Raahim

مكتوب
Both believe they have the right to shove their beliefs about gays on other people and discrimination against them or kill them.
Both believe that woman is a slave to a man (through for allegations of sexism, they'll deny it)
Both believe that their God is the true God.
Both believe that non Muslims will burn in hell.
Both believe that destroying public property is acceptable.
Both are at the end, bigots.
(Except for a very few Sunni Muslims in India and the west)

You do know this is Sunni DIR?

1) No one has the right to harm homosexuals despite having an opinion as their act to be unclean (sex)
2) Women got their rights because of Islam in Arabia & they are only slaves of Allah, men should protect and take care of them
3) What's wrong with believing that there is no god but Allah
4) Every good person will be rewarded
5) Quran forbids destroying public property

:D

Raahim

مكتوب
Brother, regardless of being Sunni or Shia, what's your plan for Mahdi(pbuh)? How are you going to help Mahdi and Christ, peace be upon them both?

Forgive me brother, I am still learning and Quran is in my focus now more than hadith (although I do read them, but I don't study them) I don't have clear view on Mahdi ﷺ

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Forgive me brother, I am still learning and Quran is in my focus now more than hadith (although I do read them, but I don't study them) I don't have clear view on Mahdi ﷺ
Brother, it's my fault. I guessed you are a new Muslim however I was not sure. I've got a low IQ!
Keep it one brother. Ask God to help you and I will pray for you. By the way, my English is weak, that's why I didnt get what "Sunni DIR" mean, at first!:rolleyes:

Raahim

مكتوب
Brother, it's my fault. I guessed you are a new Muslim however I was not sure. I've got a low IQ!
Keep it one brother. Ask God to help you and I will pray for you. By the way, my English is weak, that's why I didnt get what "Sunni DIR" mean, at first!:rolleyes:

Inshallah my knowledge on Quran will grow. Your English is good, don't feel bad about it. :D
Thank you brother.

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”

I've been reading lots about terrorism these past few days, especially today due to that attack in München (which ended up not to be done by Muslim extremist but there are some people on the web claiming that the media said that just to calm down the crowd). As far as I know Al-Qaeda & ISIS are declared as Sunni Muslims, right? So is it the issue within Sunni Islam or is it just the coincidence since roughly 80% of Muslims are in the branch of Sunni or is it maybe the divisions within Sunni Islam that cause such acts? Is there even such thing as general teaching of Sunni on jihad (in any meaning)? I'm very fragile at the moment, I try to distance myself from these news and stories because they make me feel bad about Islam but then again I have strong feeling that Allah would never ever accept any kind of violence to others no matter what they are unless it was in war & you were first attacked. So what are your opinions, is it just coincidence due to the bigger number of Muslims in Sunni or is there something in its general teaching?

Also local masjid is Sunni & I should go there tomorrow to talk with imam but I'm not comfortable asking this question at the moment since I'm new.
I do not believe in Sunni, Shia, Ahmadhiyaa at all.

There is only one group of Muslims.

Just Muslims, follower of Islam, the Qur'an.

:)

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
1. Not how most Sunnis see it.
2. Yes, modern day rights for women in Arabia is on all time high
3. They're always right. No other evidence or theory is right but their theirs
4. Sadly the Quran has contradictory view.
5. Who destroyed the 360 statues of Mecca?

1. I guarantee that most ''Sunnis'' (even though i disagree with the sects) do not wanna harm homosexuals.

2. There are black sheeps in the Muslim community, but that is not what Islam is representing. Overall, Muslims in Arabia do give rights for woman.

3. Of course they think, they are correct. Besides there are Muslims in the community who think differently. Although i have a different perspective that it is right and we do provide substantial evidence apposed to Hindu's and Buddhists no offense whatsoever directed to you.

4. Yes, i agree. People interpret it wrongly, but there are good people too. They are wrongdoers and will be judged according to their actions as well as the good people.

5. The statues he destroyed was because they used their worship place to put idols which we prohibit. What else could have he done? They would not listen and take over the place they built? That is like saying you come to my house and place idols in my house, hundreds, and start worship them. Would i like it? Of course, not. No idols should be in our place, so just leave us alone.

Your points are illogical and they seem to try and degrade Islam whilst failing to.

:)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This is the Sunni DIR. Those who are not Sunnis, please read and understand Rule 10 of the RF Rules before posting any further.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Good thinking asking actual general practicing different Muslims instead of taking implications from the media.

I'm a Muslim native to Makkah and took Islam generation by generation from the land of its birth as far as my ancestors go. My fathers used to receive education from the Grand Makkah Mosque. My belief is that I S I S and Al-Q do not represent Islam correctly. Ever since they started what they do, a huge question popped over the heads of people around here and I, and it is "what the heck are they doing?".

That's what I think of it :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
It is due to the great number of people that are Sunni.

When Muslims were few they were united if someone changed something it wouldn't get far. But nowadays if someone comes up with something different, he will find an audience. This is why the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa salam, has said to follow the majority because they will never agree on something which is wrong or false.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
And to add what I forgot to mention before, a lot of these Daesh and Al Qaeda scum had nothing to do with Islam and it's practices. How many of them do you hear about who have secretly left their homes without permission from their parents to go and join these groups. The Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa salam, has made jihad or any other action going away from your family haram unless it's by permission of one's parents.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Don't care about the news, it never tells the truth.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They invade all the Muslim lands by politics coercion, troops or drones then they complain when people hit back? that's if we truly believed those who did it are on their own, because i believe they are being manipulated and guided by intelligence services in order to justify what they are going to do next to the Muslims living in the West and in other nations.

Raahim

مكتوب
They invade all the Muslim lands by politics coercion, troops or drones then they complain when people hit back? that's if we truly believed those who did it are on their own, because i believe they are being manipulated and guided by intelligence services in order to justify what they are going to do next to the Muslims living in the West and in other nations.

I agree that those who invade others will suffer the consequences, it's one big political game gone out of hands from the players and as in all political games innocent people are the one to suffer the most. Now, let me be very clear that I am far from supporting any kind of extremism, but I'm surprised how some play innocent like all that madness erupted out of nowhere.

muhammad_isa

Now, let me be very clear that I am far from supporting any kind of extremism, but I'm surprised how some play innocent like all that madness erupted out of nowhere.
You're right brother. It's political, and satan causes people without knowledge to become angry much easier. Poverty is also a catalyst.
Daeesh and Al-Quaeda maybe of orthodox sunni roots, but it could just as easily be any sect involved. The teachings of sunni mudhab are not responsible for these militia, although it does suggest to me a misplaced iman. I don't believe that these 'khilifa' groups are involved with correct jihad. Suicide bombs in civilian areas out of desperation is one thing, but relatively wealthy leaders propagating it are following none but satan