• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday Worship - August 19: What is God trying to teach us with Sunday's readings?

Henry Wasielewski

JOYFULLY CELEBRATE creation, Christ’s life, teachings, Last Supper, Sacrifice and his life with us and in us every day.
MANY
don't think we need to pay much attention to Christ's words and deeds today.
And many don’t remember the readings or sermon after leaving the church.
. . Hopefully, God’s message in today’s Gospel will be made more clear and remembered by this brief preview, churches' special decorations and other enhancements to the celebration.

DISCUSSION of Sunday's Readings:
The First Reading, Psalm and Alleluia have been selected to help make more clear the meaning of each week's Gospel.
FIRST READING (Proverbs 9:1-6): “Wisdom” means God’s teachings, especially in today’s readings.
. . "Wisdom has built her house, she has set up her seven columns; she has dressed her meat, mixed her wine, yes, she has spread her table.
. . Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed! Forsake foolishness that you may live; advance in the way of understanding."
0eb04d6a4861c14862f1320ac4c0b8c5adce87f21faa19475a983e5a3a5c8e05.png

PSALM 34:2-7
. . "Taste and see the goodness of the Lord. I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth.
. . When the poor one called out, the LORD heard, and from all his distress he saved him.
. . Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame."​

SECOND READING, EPISTLE (Ephesians 5:15-20) What does God tell you with Paul's words?
. . "Brothers and sisters: Watch carefully how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, … do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord.
. . be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and playing to the Lord in your hearts,
. . giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father."​

Alleluia (John 6:56)
. . Alleluia, alleluia.
. . Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood
. . remains in me and I in him, says the Lord.

2e99f6a667668053a17364e48d7127f5034630f80ed40f076b37c2937adbc645.jpg

GOSPEL (John 6:51-58) Jesus is speaking of giving you more of his own divine life and strength - his grace. The First Reading, Psalm and the Alleluia were selected to make the Gospel more clear. Do they help you?
. . “Jesus said to the crowds: ‘I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.
. . The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’
. . Jesus said to them, 'unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
. . For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
. . Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me."​

. . IMPORTANT DISCUSSION: Different Christian religions have different beliefs about Jesus’ words and their communion. Explain what you believe about your communion?
. . It is important for each of us to consider what we think about Jesus’ words and our church’s communion.
. . Some religions believe that Jesus meant exactly what he said and that in their communion they receive Jesus himself, with his actual flesh and blood. They usually offer communion at every service.
. . Other churches believe that that in their communion they receive bread and wine or another liquid and that Jesus comes to them in a special way during communion. They offer communion at many of their services.
. . Others believe that in their communion they receive bread and wine or another liquid, and they remember Jesus during this time. They usually have communion a few times during the year. (One religion publishes a bible in which the usual quoted words of Jesus, “This is my body … blood,” are quoted differently, “This means my body … blood,” to indicate that their communion is bread and a liquid. They have communion once a year.)
. . Some religious leaders have said that each of us should think carefully about Jesus’ words and decide if his words match the kind of communion we now receive. If not, perhaps we should seek a church whose communion better matches our belief.​
What do you think of Jesus' words and these various beliefs?

POSSIBLE THEME: What would be a good THEME for Sunday that flows from the readings?
Maybe: "Jesus gives us more of his divine life and strength in communion.”​

How could you help somebody this week? teens? your neighborhood? country?

THE SACRIFICE IN THE MASS (Words of the U.S. Bishops.) (Christ puts all the events of his sufferings on the altar at the consecration of his Blood and they continue to happen until the end of communion.)
. . “CHRIST'S SAVING ACTION, his PASSION, DEATH and RESURRECTION, are once again ENACTED and OFFERED to the Father by Christ himself. ... This ACTION of Christ BECOMES PRESENT again for us, HERE AND NOW, in this time and place, SO THAT WE CAN JOIN in Christ’s perfect offering and can ourselves participate in his PERFECT WORSHIP."

DISCUSS: How could the Gospel's theme be better celebrated this week?
LIST in each category below
an idea for displaying Sunday's theme. Each of these items will help to: keep us alert, keep us thinking about what Christ is trying to teach us today with the readings, and energize us to join others in creating some of the items below.
. . Liturgy:
. . Decorations:
. . Art, Banners:
. . Projected images:
. . Drama, Activities:
. . Bulletins, Handouts:
. . Home activity materials:

SEND your comments, ideas, images -- and photos of family and church decorations, banners, dramas, activities inside and outside church, your worship services and home activities, and weekly Liturgy Workshop in which families gather together to create some of the items above.

DISCUSS all questions that you skipped over.
161-05prf

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Hello.

"MANY don't think we need to pay much attention to Christ's words and deeds today."

I agree, that does seem to be the case. And in my humble opinion the world would be a better place if more people did pay attention to what He taught!

Peace

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As I take communion, I am reminded of the day that I came to Jesus Christ and had the "taste and see that the Lord God is good" experience. As the word communion is the same word for intimacy between a man and woman, the relationship is intimate and it is as if I am renewing my vows to Him at the Table of Communion.