• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sunday Best"???

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
When you attend your place of worship (whatever that may be) do you dress up especially nicely?

I always throw on a clean set of clothes before I go, and have a shave

It feels the right thing to do as many other members of the congregation wear nice suits or fancy dresses and I want to fit in there so I wouldn't want to look like an all out slob!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a place of worship but since I wear dungarees I'd probably go in a long dungaree dress like this,

51YVb-79nvL._UY445_.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you attend your place of worship (whatever that may be) do you dress up especially nicely?

It feels the right thing to do as many other members of the congregation wear nice suits or fancy dresses and I want to fit in there so I wouldn't want to look like an all out slob!

Back when I attended mass, I failed to understand why God would care about what I was wearing. Wouldn't a God that needs worship want you to do in the apparel in which He brought you here?

WORSHIP NAKED!!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Assuming I've read the same Bible, Jesus probably doesn't appreciate people wearing nice and fancy clothes with jewelry and other accessories. He'd probably ask them why they spent so much money on such a meaningless and worthless thing instead of feeding the poor.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Assuming I've read the same Bible, Jesus probably doesn't appreciate people wearing nice and fancy clothes with jewelry and other accessories. He'd probably ask them why they spent so much money on such a meaningless and worthless thing instead of feeding the poor.
I totally agree

I suppose dressing up is more cultural than it is religious

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would be interesting if we could study this to find the exact reasons why. Jesus pretty much said they have their reward of looking nice at Church, and we have stories of church goers in modern times being offended by the presence of the poor, to the point one church priest (Episcopalian, IIRC) put a statue of Jesus on a park bench and the people going to that church got offended because it looks like a homeless man sleeping on the bench.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wear veshti and shirt always to shrine or temple. Showering before worship gets rid of some of the dross, cleansing the aura.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It would be interesting if we could study this to find the exact reasons why. Jesus pretty much said they have their reward of looking nice at Church, and we have stories of church goers in modern times being offended by the presence of the poor, to the point one church priest (Episcopalian, IIRC) put a statue of Jesus on a park bench and the people going to that church got offended because it looks like a homeless man sleeping on the bench.
The church I go to doesn't have a dress code

But many people still dress up for it

We would certainly welcome anyone who was disheveled or homeless looking

Goodman John

I don't put much stock in 'dressing up' for any religious exercise; doing so just smacks of worldliness and vanity. HOWEVER, I do see the value in having a particular item that might help one in getting in the right frame of mind for prayers and such. For me, I use a prayer rug, courtesy of a Muslim friend of mine. For my purposes, I lay it out to create a 'clean space'- I'd just as soon my thoughts not be polluted with the evil of this world while I'm trying to pray.

For others, it may be a particular shirt or pair of shoes or necklace or what have you- whatever gets you through the day.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I would dress up if I went to a wedding. I would dress up if I visited the President. Why would I treat God less respectfully? So I wear my best.

My best is not as nice as other people's. But I'm not worried. God sees my heart -- which is that I'm wearing my best to show respect for him. Sometimes when I'm looking for clothes, I'll think, "Well this would be nice for synagogue." Synagogue is not a BBQ or going to McDonald's. It is being in the presence of God himself in a special way, coming to worship before him.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

That God is beautiful and loves beauty :)
Taking care of elegance is a nice thing and the official body that brings harmony among friends is a positive thing

happy sunday :)

Terry Sampson

There are practical, cultural reasons, IMO.
  • Assuming that you place a value on your religious beliefs, are single, and hope to marry someday, within your shared-faith community, dressing up would be one of the things to do if you want to attract the attention of eligible marriage candidates. Even the heathen dress up when they go courtin'. P.S. When courting, going naked might seem like a good idea, but it's ill-advised, unless you are a well-built stud or maiden. Most of us really aren't as "fine lookin'" when nekkid as we'd like to think we are.
  • As much as even the most dedicated rebel wants to believe in dressing comfortably, there's an almost-instinctive propensity to value what a well-dressed cad or vixen says to you more than a person who gives less attention to their "packaging".
  • Also, now that I think about it, dressing up is one sign or measure of "wealth". Again, there seems to be a propensity among many to attribute intelligence to the wealthy. My in-laws sure did, which is one of the reasons they didn't think much of me, and my momma was always proudest of me when I put on my three-piece suit and wore a tie and shoes.

Last edited: