• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday Assembly - Secular Social events

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Personally, I don't find secularism itself enough of a reason in common with people to waste my time attending silly events.

Unless I already knew several people who attended from elsewhere in my life, I would not go. It takes five minutes of talking with other atheists before you realize it is not enough in common to base friendship on unless all you want to do is sit around and complain about religion or try to get a date.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Have you heard of Sunday Assembly?
The Sunday Assembly Home » The Sunday Assembly

'Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.'

Surely with merit?

Having said that;
Beware of the Cult of State Fad.

Would you attend a secular social like this?
I would.

Nope.

In fairness, I have yet to be enlightened bu any "secular"/unbeliever/atheist designated "place" to "unworship". It is, in a word, nonsensical.

But I really, really hate the notion of having to give up the secret of the atheist handshake/dance move in the presence of "believers". Religious adherents have a poor track record when it comes to stealing anything pagan or irreligious to eventually, one day, become their own.

I can allow Groundhogs Day though, if they really want that one:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not me. Apart from not believing in God, the key reason I am an atheist is so I don't have to attend Church (j/k).

It strikes me as kinda funny though. There is a massive variation in theists, and everyone accepts that. For some reason, atheists are supposed to share common concord?
I don't get it.

(Having said that, good luck to anyone that DOES want to go. Don't see any problems with it)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Not me. Apart from not believing in God, the key reason I am an atheist is so I don't have to attend Church (j/k).

It strikes me as kinda funny though. There is a massive variation in theists, and everyone accepts that. For some reason, atheists are supposed to share common concord?
I don't get it.

(Having said that, good luck to anyone that DOES want to go. Don't see any problems with it)

Take heart.

There are many, and I mean MANY "believers" that avoid "churchin'" as much as you may.

Doesn't make them any better "adherents" than "atheists". Some, just continue to hope (on the back burner) that professing a "belief" of the divine is better than the alternative.

If only wishing made it so...

Altfish

Veteran Member
The thinking is that the best part of any religion is the social gatherings, the sense of community that services can give. Us atheists miss out on this and this is an attempt to recreate that without all the religious nonsense.

It's not for me though, a couple of hours in the pub is fine for my social requirements

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I'd check it. But itwould need to focus on like science and humanism to keep me.