• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun Worship

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
With a lot of people leaving Christianity, other religions, and people such as atheist's and agnostics there's a potential audience. It's powerful, sustains life, real and we did it before. Will it make a comeback?
Why would worshipping a giant ball of nuclear infurnus be in any way appealing to me?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would worshipping a giant ball of nuclear infurnus be in any way appealing to me?

Why are you asking us? Or are you asking yourself?

I'm going to hazard a guess that you've experienced the solar trauma known as sunburn a few times too often in life, though.... :D

Riders

The pagan religions may or will grow in some places because church membership has gone down. Therefore some are dropping out of Christianity. Unfortunate it's not growing anywhere near me.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why are you asking us? Or are you asking yourself?

The half rhetorical question is directed at he author of the post I'm quoting.
It indicates that I know of no such reason and at the same time I invite him to provide such reason if he knows of any.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you've experienced the solar trauma known as sunburn a few times too often in life, though.... :D

Yes, as a matter of fact.
I used to be very sensitive for sunburn. It improved a lot with age though. Not so much a problem anymore as long as I use a good sunblock anyway. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sun worship is an important part of many Hindus’ religious practice. It’s called Surya arghya. Surya is the sun. The devotee faces East in the morning to greet Surya, pouring out water from a vessel while chanting some verses and/or mantras. Usually it’s in or near a river, but can be done anywhere. I’ve thought about doing it.

DE712274-A6E4-4FAC-898B-6EA6B8EBA9A3.jpeg

Typical depiction of Lord Surya below. In later times (post Vedic) Surya (also known as Savitre) has taken on attributes of Narayana (Vishnu) and is often referred to as Sūryanārāyana. The last mantra of the Sūrya Namaskar (sun salutations ritual) is oṃ śrī savitrsūryanārāyanāya namaḥ. Yeah, it’s a mouthful. :D

5E8A58FA-C071-4AD7-AFD1-B04365B91A89.jpeg