• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Camp Caters To Atheists & Agnostics

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Camp Quest is a sleep-away camp for the children of atheists, agnostics, humanists and other nonbelievers, though kids from religious families are welcome, too.

Most of the time, the kids do normal camp stuff such as hike, compete in relay races, sit around campfires. But the overarching philosophy is that life without religion is a perfectly healthy, viable option.

Started in 1996, Camp Quest emphasizes critical thinking and the scientific method. Counselors lead philosophical discussions about topics such as the nature of happiness.

Katie Hladky, an atheist pursuing a doctorate in American religious history, teaches daily lessons about world religions and their belief systems.

Hladky won't bad-mouth faith or tell the kids what to think, she said.

"I feel really strongly these kids shouldn't be indoctrinated," she said. Many of the campers, who range in age from 8 to 17, "don't know what they are" yet when it comes to beliefs.

But Hladky doesn't shy away from controversial discussions. When talking about Islam, she told the campers about the debate in France about whether women are oppressed by wearing burqas or whether it should be their personal choice. She detailed the diverse views within Christianity on homosexuality.

Despite the emphasis on open-mindedness, poking fun at faith isn't forbidden.

Article here

tarasan

Huh.....boring! Give me a camp full of fundies for more interesting banter.

true true hmmmm i wonder if by free thinking they mean point out all the flaws in religion while hearing none of the counter arguements against it, it said at the top it was for athiest, agnostic and humanist kids, so isnt just critiquing something reinforcing a specific stereotype in them? I would feel better if they put religinos apologists in the camp with the kids as well, but its sounds more like these would be "free thinkers" are just being thought what to think, just like everyone else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
true true hmmmm i wonder if by free thinking they mean point out all the flaws in religion while hearing none of the counter arguements against it, it said at the top it was for athiest, agnostic and humanist kids, so isnt just critiquing something reinforcing a specific stereotype in them? I would feel better if they put religinos apologists in the camp with the kids as well, but its sounds more like these would be "free thinkers" are just being thought what to think, just like everyone else.

I imagine that it's just fun to occasionally get together with like minded people, since most of the time we're
surrounded with those of different stripes. Occasionally, I meet with other libertarian capitalist heathens &
we get to discuss the country & humanity without having to wallow in explaining the basics to the contrary minded.

tarasan

I imagine that it's just fun to occasionally get together with like minded people, since most of the time we're
surrounded with those of different stripes. Occasionally, I meet with other libertarian capitalist heathens &
we get to discuss the country & humanity without having to wallow in explaining the basics to the contrary minded.

so let get this striaght when Christians do it its, brainwashing, but when athiests do it its just like minded people getting together?

am i reading this right?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
so let get this striaght when Christians do it its, brainwashing, but when athiests do it its just like minded people getting together?

am i reading this right?
I have never seen Revoltingest refer to indoctrination as brainwashing. Don't assume.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

am i reading this right?

The idea of this camp is to promote logical reasoning in children. Essentially they are teaching kids to think for themselves by using facts and real-world data. They are not teaching children that stories written in a book are literally true, and that they should just believe it because they say so.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I understood what you meant, Tarasan. That's an interesting point. Although I would argue that the Atheist/Agnostic camp provides an atmosphere where kids can safely question (or not), whereas a Christian-only camp may not welcome differing opinions.

I say "may not," of course. I don't know for sure.

tarasan

The idea of this camp is to promote logical reasoning in children. Essentially they are teaching kids to think for themselves by using facts and real-world data. They are not teaching children that stories written in a book are literally true, and that they should just believe it because they say so.

okthis is assuming alot about my faith, there is alot about the bible that we teach isnt literally true so i dont see your point, and like I said before if you only had athiests teaching things about religion are we really meant to think tehy will give unbaied information? better to have both athiest/thiests in there as well so the kids would get the two perpectives instead they are only given one, this is the critique athiests give to religious camps why is it ok for them to do it?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Wait, there's a difference between educating and indoctrinating?

tarasan

I understood what you meant, Tarasan. That's an interesting point. Although I would argue that the Atheist/Agnostic camp provides an atmosphere where kids can safely question (or not), whereas a Christian-only camp may not welcome differing opinions.

I say "may not," of course. I don't know for sure.

like I said in a purely athiestic enviroment do we really think that they would give a neutral view on religion? I think not, ultiamtely the difference between our cames and their is that we do not cliam to teach things down the middle, we are very open about saying that we are here to teach kids christianity. they however are trying to make it appear that they are drawing it down the line when I really dont see that its the case.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
like I said in a purely athiestic enviroment do we really think that they would give a neutral view on religion? I think not, ultiamtely the difference between our cames and their is that we do not cliam to teach things down the middle, we are very open about saying that we are here to teach kids christianity. they however are trying to make it appear that they are drawing it down the line when I really dont see that its the case.
Ah, I see. *nods*

I think a camp run by both atheists and theists would be really interesting. The kids could watch adults argue. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

am i reading this right?

No, you're misreading.
Review my post....no mention of brainwashing.
As for other people's opinions, you'd have to ask them.

Last edited:

tarasan

Ah, I see. *nods*

I think a camp run by both atheists and theists would be really interesting. The kids could watch adults argue. :p

I would like to think that in a perfect world the kids could see the athiests/ thiests get along and have the comfort in knowing that rather than being they are infact just searching people trying to find what the universe is all about.

I think it would be very helpful for the kids to see a non-threatening engagement between both sides.

but like I said in a perfect world.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I would like to think that in a perfect world the kids could see the athiests/ thiests get along and have the comfort in knowing that rather than being they are infact just searching people trying to find what the universe is all about.
I agree, that would be wonderful. In fact, I'd participate! ;)