• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summaries of biblical stories?

vijeno

Hello,

my google-fu seems to be out of order today. I try to find short and sweet retellings / summaries of bible stories, from both testaments, with as little interpretation / preaching / moralizing as possible. All I find is children's stories and diabetes-inducing sucrose stuff.

Thanks a lot for any links!

Vee

Premium Member
Hello,

my google-fu seems to be out of order today. I try to find short and sweet retellings / summaries of bible stories, from both testaments, with as little interpretation / preaching / moralizing as possible. All I find is children's stories and diabetes-inducing sucrose stuff.

The Jehovah's Witnesses website has a section for children: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/children/
If you scroll down there are activities, stories, images for coloring, etc. I don't know if this fits into what you are looking for, but have a look.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hello,my google-fu seems to be out of order today. I try to find short and sweet retellings / summaries of bible stories, from both testaments, with as little interpretation / preaching / moralizing as possible. All I find is children's stories and diabetes-inducing sucrose stuff. Thanks a lot for any links!
Look for My Book of Bible Stories at www.jw.org

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

There is no such thing if you ask me or anyone that knows the gospels. A retelling with *no* interpretation? Just read the original. It has to be interpreted: end of sentence. What you can get are opinions about what it means. You cannot get summaries with no interpretations, because every (and I do mean absolutely every) story can be summarized more than one way. Show me one that cannot.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hello,

that might be a little difficult.

Before each book there is a summary commentary.

John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary

Truth in love

Hello,

I don’t think you will get 0 interpretation, but these are ones we’ve used. (Looks like they updated the art a bit).

Old Testament Stories

New Testament Stories

vijeno

Thanks for the answers! I think cliffnotes is pretty much what I need.

Just as a side note - of course you can never have NO interpretation - reading is interpreting.
There is a difference between "The heroic David bravely fought against the evil Goliath and came out victorious because God was on his side, which tells us that God is always on the side of those who he knows will further the good cause, and so should you" - and "David fought against Goliath and won".

I don't want to wade through endless preaching. I want the stories, is all.