• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide?

rocala

Some years ago there were two suicides in my area, both horrific and very public. From the little info that I have, it seems that both were unplanned spontaneous events. This was for me truly frightening. It felt like a 'gremlin' exists and can come up any time. I have never truly overcome this fear.

I would be very interested to know of the experience or knowledge of others in this area.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would be very interested to know of the experience or knowledge of others in this area.

From what I've been told, someone who kills himself for personal reasons only pauses the issues that need to be worked out. They will surface again in a future life until they are worked through.

I don't think this applies to someone who suicides for a cause as long as the motivation is not mixed. Gandhi who almost fasted to death is one example. Tarek el-Tayeb Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who set himself on fire, might be another.

Daemon Sophic

Some years ago there were two suicides in my area, both horrific and very public. From the little info that I have, it seems that both were unplanned spontaneous events. This was for me truly frightening. It felt like a 'gremlin' exists and can come up any time. I have never truly overcome this fear.

I have more experience in this area than most would care to.

A lack of impulse control is perhaps the unifying feature of most suicides and homicides. In patients who have bipolar disorder (with phases of depression and phases of mania) the vast majority commit suicide while in mania not in depression.
It is one of the reasons for restricting access to firearms, especially in people with psychiatric problems. The decision to kill oneself is often made spontaneously, in a background of mental instability. Then the time that it takes to drive to a large bridge or climb a cliff and jump off, as well as the time it takes to succumb to drugs, or set up a noose is enough to calm them down. But there is not enough time between picking up a gun and firing it at yourself, to take a time out and reconsider before pulling the trigger. :(
No gremlins or demonic possessions. Just impulse control issues in a background of depression.

However, to commit suicide in public view is rather unusual, except in certain cultural situations, and where the person is trying to make a statement, usually “against” someone who upsets them. A “This will show them!” sort of statement. These tend to be the more dramatic suicides.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

A lot of suicides seem spontaneous, meaning the people around them didn't see it coming. But in my experience most suicidal people have been thinking about it for a long time, and have planned out exactly how they would do it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Hope this not gonna freak out RF members, but yes I have one suicide attempt behind me, it is many years ago now, I was 16 years old when I made my attempt and as you understand, I failed in the attempt and survived.
The cause of my attempt was because I was content being bullied at school. Every day since I was 7 until 16 years old. And yes it do unfortunately end in suicide for some.

rocala

How do we know they were spontaneous?
We do not of course know. Hence my use of the term "seems". To elaborate, the case that got to me most was a shopping trip by a nearby family. They lived in a tower block. Having left the block the mother 'realized' she had left something behind and went back up. A few minutes later she landed next to her small children, who were splattered with her blood.
I find it hard to imagine that was planned.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
We do not of course know. Hence my use of the term "seems". To elaborate, the case that got to me most was a shopping trip by a nearby family. They lived in a tower block. Having left the block the mother 'realized' she had left something behind and went back up. A few minutes later she landed next to her small children, who were splattered with her blood.
I find it hard to imagine that was planned.
That sounds suspicious or psychotic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

People often do give signs and indications. Most people ignore them and don't want to talk about, or they say something incredibly stupid and offensive (you arent thinking about doing anything "stupid/crazy" are you?). But there are signs, there are indications. Not always, but usually.
Please, read this information and never be afraid to speak with someone you are concerned about, and be direct. Don't beat around the bush. Your conversation may be what saves a life.

5 Warning Signs of Suicidal Behavior That Are Easy to Miss – Bridges to Recovery
(And a side note, we committ crimes. Suicide is a tragedy, not a crime)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
A lot of suicides seem spontaneous, meaning the people around them didn't see it coming. But in my experience most suicidal people have been thinking about it for a long time, and have planned out exactly how they would do it.
I know of two people who took their own lives and in both cases it had been long term planned. Nobody was surprised at the time when the act was carried out.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am very sorry to read that Amanaki. Bullying is a truly terrible thing at times.
Thank you @rocala :) the problem with those kind of thoughts is that they can arise in different forms later in life. I had those thoughts 3 times in my life, but I only acted out the first time. So yes it's a challenge to live with. But one get "used" to it :)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Premium Member

My brother committed suicide at a young age. It can creep up on anyone. It was a horrific ordeal to process. I still can't deal with picturing those last minutes before he did it and how incredibly, painfully sad he must have been. That's the worst part.
Depression can be very serious but hopefully people can be aware when they are that low and get some help if they want to. Because there is no reversing that one.