1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide?

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by rocala, Aug 13, 2020.

1. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    Some years ago there were two suicides in my area, both horrific and very public. From the little info that I have, it seems that both were unplanned spontaneous events. This was for me truly frightening. It felt like a 'gremlin' exists and can come up any time. I have never truly overcome this fear.

I would be very interested to know of the experience or knowledge of others in this area.

2. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Religion:
    seeking
    Not a gremlin. Satan and his demons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Piculet

Piculet Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Religion:
    Islam
    Spontaneous makes me think drugs and/or psychosis.

4. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +53,993
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    And depression.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +21,112
    Religion:
    בת נח
    How do we know they were spontaneous?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +21,870
    Religion:
    Love
    From what I've been told, someone who kills himself for personal reasons only pauses the issues that need to be worked out. They will surface again in a future life until they are worked through.

I don't think this applies to someone who suicides for a cause as long as the motivation is not mixed. Gandhi who almost fasted to death is one example. Tarek el-Tayeb Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor who set himself on fire, might be another.

7. Sirona

Sirona Hindu Wannabe

Ratings:
    +560
    Religion:
    Hinduism
    Shouldn't there be a Call helpline number such-and-such PSA when such a topic comes up? o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Piculet

Piculet Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Religion:
    Islam
    Not so spontaneous.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +2,260
    I have more experience in this area than most would care to.

A lack of impulse control is perhaps the unifying feature of most suicides and homicides. In patients who have bipolar disorder (with phases of depression and phases of mania) the vast majority commit suicide while in mania not in depression.
    It is one of the reasons for restricting access to firearms, especially in people with psychiatric problems. The decision to kill oneself is often made spontaneously, in a background of mental instability. Then the time that it takes to drive to a large bridge or climb a cliff and jump off, as well as the time it takes to succumb to drugs, or set up a noose is enough to calm them down. But there is not enough time between picking up a gun and firing it at yourself, to take a time out and reconsider before pulling the trigger. :(
    No gremlins or demonic possessions. Just impulse control issues in a background of depression.

However, to commit suicide in public view is rather unusual, except in certain cultural situations, and where the person is trying to make a statement, usually “against” someone who upsets them. A “This will show them!” sort of statement. These tend to be the more dramatic suicides.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Left Coast

Left Coast Plant-Based Plebeian

Ratings:
    +4,980
    Religion:
    Buddhish
    A lot of suicides seem spontaneous, meaning the people around them didn't see it coming. But in my experience most suicidal people have been thinking about it for a long time, and have planned out exactly how they would do it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +21,112
    Religion:
    בת נח
    My thoughts exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Amanaki

Amanaki Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,542
    Religion:
    Sunni Islam
    Hope this not gonna freak out RF members, but yes I have one suicide attempt behind me, it is many years ago now, I was 16 years old when I made my attempt and as you understand, I failed in the attempt and survived.
    The cause of my attempt was because I was content being bullied at school. Every day since I was 7 until 16 years old. And yes it do unfortunately end in suicide for some.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    We do not of course know. Hence my use of the term "seems". To elaborate, the case that got to me most was a shopping trip by a nearby family. They lived in a tower block. Having left the block the mother 'realized' she had left something behind and went back up. A few minutes later she landed next to her small children, who were splattered with her blood.
    I find it hard to imagine that was planned.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +23,402
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Mental illness IS NOT demons or Satan! Cease with your dismissal and downplaying of severe mental illness.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Rival

Rival Noahide

Ratings:
    +21,112
    Religion:
    בת נח
    That sounds suspicious or psychotic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    I am very sorry to read that Amanaki. Bullying is a truly terrible thing at times.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +23,402
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    People often do give signs and indications. Most people ignore them and don't want to talk about, or they say something incredibly stupid and offensive (you arent thinking about doing anything "stupid/crazy" are you?). But there are signs, there are indications. Not always, but usually.
    Please, read this information and never be afraid to speak with someone you are concerned about, and be direct. Don't beat around the bush. Your conversation may be what saves a life.

5 Warning Signs of Suicidal Behavior That Are Easy to Miss – Bridges to Recovery
    (And a side note, we committ crimes. Suicide is a tragedy, not a crime)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +2,479
    I know of two people who took their own lives and in both cases it had been long term planned. Nobody was surprised at the time when the act was carried out.

19. Amanaki

Amanaki Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,542
    Religion:
    Sunni Islam
    Thank you @rocala :) the problem with those kind of thoughts is that they can arise in different forms later in life. I had those thoughts 3 times in my life, but I only acted out the first time. So yes it's a challenge to live with. But one get "used" to it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. wandering peacefully

wandering peacefully Which way to the woods?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +785
    My brother committed suicide at a young age. It can creep up on anyone. It was a horrific ordeal to process. I still can't deal with picturing those last minutes before he did it and how incredibly, painfully sad he must have been. That's the worst part.
    Depression can be very serious but hopefully people can be aware when they are that low and get some help if they want to. Because there is no reversing that one.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1