• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide-Sin

Apotheosis

Anyone care to debate that suicide is a sin, and that those who commit suicide deserve hell? I personally see no way for a "good" diety to condemn a person who commited suicide to hell, without switching from "good" to "bad".

(And yea, one of my best friends committed suicide last night, shot himself in the head. This coming after another suicide in June. I sure as hell hope this is the last one, but who knows?)

Ori

Angel slayer
Sorry about your loss.
I think suicide could be considered a sin, but not one thats worthy of hell.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Apotheosis said:
Anyone care to debate that suicide is a sin, and that those who commit suicide deserve hell? I personally see no way for a "good" diety to condemn a person who commited suicide to hell, without switching from "good" to "bad".

(And yea, one of my best friends committed suicide last night, shot himself in the head. This coming after another suicide in June. I sure as hell hope this is the last one, but who knows?)
Apotheosis, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I sure hope he knew Jesus as his personal Saviour.

Committing suicide is not the Unpardonable Sin. Rejecting the Holy Spirit's call to salvation is.

Apotheosis

No, I wouldnt say either of them thought much about religion, and they certainly were not "rightous" people, but I hope they find the peace they couldnt find here. I dont recognize Jesus as my Saviour, simply because I dont have any clue as to whether he actually is or not.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Apotheosis said:
No, I wouldnt say either of them thought much about religion, and they certainly were not "rightous" people, but I hope they find the peace they couldnt find here. I dont recognize Jesus as my Saviour, simply because I dont have any clue as to whether he actually is or not.
Well, Apotheosis, I'll definately pray for you in this time of loss, and if there's any questions I can answer for you, please feel free to ask.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
hi Apotheosis,

i'm sorry about your freind but if he knew what is real faith is he wasn't about to do so whatever happen.

actually i search for the suicide according to Muslims & Christians point view.

The Bible mentions four specific people who committed suicide: Saul (1 Samuel 31:4), Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23), Zimri (1 Kings 16:18), and Judas (Matthew 27:5).

but there problem is i didn't find any evidence that show whether they may go to Heaven or to Hell.

Quran mentions suicide as a sin in a verse which is:

{And do not kill yourselves. Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you}, [Chapter 4, verse 29].

and prophet Muhammed ( peace be upon him ) said:

" ((Indeed, whoever (intentionally) kills himself, then certainly he will be punished in the Fire of Hell, wherein he shall dwell forever)) "

i hope that i helped you with my poor information. vbmenu_register("postmenu_212393", true);

joeboonda

Suicide is a sin, but not a sin that is worthy of Hell. Only the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which is hardening your heart to the point that you do not receive Christ as your Saviour, turning a deaf ear to the gentle knocking of the Holy Spirit on your heart until you no longer hear the knocking, and thus you reject the Lord Jesus, that will put you in Hell. But as Christians we still have a sinful nature, and are human and can and will sin, and perhaps even take our own life, which is bad, because we are not trusting God to care for us, but we will not go to Hell for it. Anyway that is my opinion.

jonny

I believe that suicide is a sin, but that the Lord will be merciful when he judges us. He knows the intentions of our heart. We will not know how the Lord will judge us until we are standing before him. What we do know is that he has promised to be our advocate and plead for our salvation if we do our part.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Suicide Is considered by most religions to be sinful. But God sees into our hearts and minds and his judgements are made out of love not hate. He knows men can act out of despair and forgives all those souls that repent.

Terry

The Black Whirlwind

i am sorry for your loss, may the Force be with you. Suicide is not sinful, some even consider it to be honourable (like samurai), it is a lack of willpower. They cannot bear what fate has wrought, and so they feel they must end themselves, to stop their pain. This is my understanding, anyway.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
1. I do not believe in the concept of sin.

2. I believe that anyone has the right to end his/her life. I only wish assisted suicide services were available, so people could end their lives with some degree of dignity, instead of blowing their brains all over the place. (I also had a friend who did that, so I sympathize with you, Apotheosis.)

FREE DR. KAVORKIAN!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Apotheosis,

I really am sorry to hear of the loss of two of your friends through suicide. The question of sin is a difficult one; yes it is sinful, but there again, "While the balance of the mind was impaired".............

I will of course have to face that, when I die; I can only hope that God is merciful.

I have always seen suicide as a problem -as highlighted by my friend Rich; I have never liked the idea of 'making a mess' for others to clear up, and the other 'Must Not' in my mind, is to make a third party suffer the though that he/she was instrumental in the death - ie when someone jumps infront of a train, or a bus.

How on Earth could one human subject another to the pain and anguish that he would no doubt feel, having been forced to be instrumental in the death. And yes, Rich, that is an argument for assisted suicide, but we both know that that will never be accepted (IMO) because legally, it is a minefield.:eek:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
michel said:
I have always seen suicide as a problem -as highlighted by my friend Rich; I have never liked the idea of 'making a mess' for others to clear up, and the other 'Must Not' in my mind, is to make a third party suffer the though that he/she was instrumental in the death - ie when someone jumps infront of a train, or a bus. How on Earth could one human subject another to the pain and anguish that he would no doubt feel, having been forced to be instrumental in the death.
I agree 100%. That is why I support assisted suicides.
And yes, Rich, that is an argument for assisted suicide, but we both know that that will never be accepted (IMO) because legally, it is a minefield.:eek:
Sad, but probably true.

jonny

michel said:
And yes, Rich, that is an argument for assisted suicide, but we both know that that will never be accepted (IMO) because legally, it is a minefield.:eek:
They made it legal in Oregon. Get it on the ballot and let the people decide.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I should ask, are people who don't believe in such a thing as sin okay to enter in this debate? (I don't want to step on any toes here.)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
I should ask, are people who don't believe in such a thing as sin okay to enter in this debate? (I don't want to step on any toes here.)
You can do whatever you please feathers, the fact that you do not believe in Sin is no criterium to prevent you from posting. I am interested though; what word do you have with which to replace the word sin?:)

robtex

Veteran Member
I am sorry about your friend. If your head clears up a little tell us what you liked about him or her and what they were like. I hope you get some time with his/her family.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jonny said:
They made it legal in Oregon. Get it on the ballot and let the people decide.
Unfortunately, the voting in Ohio is presently controlled by Bu****e Christians--the ones who reelected George W. Bush. I'm afraid it would be impossible to get an assisted suicide issue on the ballot, let alone pass it. :(