• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sufism a path of humanisme?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There has been a question on my mind for som time, are sufism a islamic humanistic path?

Yes because sufism put love for all humans as the most important aspects of being a human being.
Worship of Allah and love of all humans should always come first.

So humanist.

Last edited:

epronovost

There was been a question on mt mind for som time, are sufism a islamic humanistic path?

Yes because sufism put love for all humans as the most important aspects of being a human being.

So humanist.

A form of humanism philosophy did developed itself in medieval Islam.

Though, generally, especially in more contemporary time, humanism isn't simply defined as a philosophical movement that puts human wellbeing and equality at the center of ethics and morality, but also one that emphasizes skepticism, freedom of thought and speech as well as a certain form of naturalism. It's why humanism is often associated with secularism and religious tolerance in general.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A form of humanism philosophy did developed itself in medieval Islam.

Though, generally, especially in more contemporary time, humanism isn't simply defined as a philosophical movement that puts human wellbeing and equality at the center of ethics and morality, but also one that emphasizes skepticism, freedom of thought and speech as well as a certain form of naturalism. It's why humanism is often associated with secularism and religious tolerance in general.
All of what you describe i agree with within sufi teaching too :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sufism in general has a very humanistic approach to religion. Sufis, like other mystics, are trying to reach God or the ultimate Truth by following a certain path. In doing this, they disregard the dichotomy of the physical world and the divine, or better to say that they get rid of the veils separating them.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Sufis, like other mystics, are trying to reach God or the ultimate Truth by following a certain path. In doing this, they disregard the dichotomy of the physical world and the divine, or better to say that they get rid of the veils separating them.
What is the method, or path, in which Sufis seek ultimate truth? Like for example, a Hindu or Buddhist, I’d say their method is meditation.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Are Sufi's also vegetarians and eco-friendly? That would then make them neo-humanists (not just love for humans but for all of Allah's creation).

Neo-Humanism is a kind of extended Humanism, because not man but the Supreme Consciousness (God) is taken as central and the Supreme Consciousness is present in everything and everyone, also in animals and plants etc.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are Sufi's also vegetarians and eco-friendly? That would then make them neo-humanists (not just love for humans but for all of Allah's creation).
There are sufis who are vegetarian yes, i am vegan my self.
It is not required to be vegetarian.
Only pork is not allowed to eat

Altfish

Veteran Member
There was been a question on mt mind for som time, are sufism a islamic humanistic path?

So humanist.
No.

Humanists don't believe in gods. You fail at the first obstacle.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Maybe you do.
BUT Rule 1 is that they do not believe in gods; if you fail that test then you are not a Humanist.
That is why they seem to me more like Neo-Humanists, because a Neo-Humanist will love the Supreme Consciousness (God) rather than only people and that Supreme Consciousness is seen as the base of every particle, life etc., etc.
It is a kind of extended Humanism or perhaps spiritual Humanism.
But God is not seen as something external to reality but as abolute reality (beyond time and space).
That is why I don't see Sufism or other purely tantric paths as religion.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

So humanist.

Well it can be argued that worship in Islam is vicariously humanist

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Interesting....

“Verily, in the creation of the heavens and of the earth, and the succession of night and day; and in the ships that speed through the sea with what is useful to man: and in the waters which God sends down from the sky, giving life thereby to the earth after it had been lifeless, and causing all manner of living creatures to multiply thereon; and in the change of the winds, and the clouds that run their appointed courses between sky and earth: [in all this] there are signs [of Allah’s attributes etc.] indeed for people who use their reason.” [2: 164]

I'm sure @Conscious thoughts would agree

Deidre

I dabbled in Sufism a few years back, and it's not really humanist. Its tenets revolve around the belief in Islam that Allan is the one alone that exists forever. The rituals and such are what differ, and what make it more of a mystical ''form'' of Islam.