• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sufi Meditation

Amica

Salaam everyone,

I am a Muslim with very stressful life. Upon finding ways to relieve stress, I am interested in sufi meditation. I read a little bit about it, and my understanding is that:

1. Prior to beginning the meditation, I must do wudu.
2. I must recite estigfarah (spelling?), and some other surahs, and make intent.
3. Then I pick Allah's SWT Holy Name or one of His Attributes, and repeat in my mind. I must breathe, in and out, the Holy Name/Attribute.

I tried it for 5 minutes, and it relaxed me. My issues are these:

1. I have back issue and sitting upright is causing problems. Can I lie down?
2. I have a hard time focusing on the heart beats, the breathing and the Holy Name/Attribute all at the same time. What do I do?
3. Is it possible to come into altered state of mind during the sufi meditation for the purposes of seeking knowledge and healing?

fenrisx

Salaam everyone,

I am a Muslim with very stressful life. Upon finding ways to relieve stress, I am interested in sufi meditation. I read a little bit about it, and my understanding is that:

2. I must recite estigfarah (spelling?), and some other surahs, and make intent.
3. Then I pick Allah's SWT Holy Name or one of His Attributes, and repeat in my mind. I must breathe, in and out, the Holy Name/Attribute.

2. I have a hard time focusing on the heart beats, the breathing and the Holy Name/Attribute all at the same time. What do I do?
3. Is it possible to come into altered state of mind during the sufi meditation for the purposes of seeking knowledge and healing?

Where are you located? I would suggest you find a Sufi guide who can help assist in this, it sounds like you know some of the basics, but growth needs a teacher usually.

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
Salaam everyone,

Answer

1. It's better if you sitting in lotus position, and just lean at wall or something.

2. the breathing technique, it's like this :
- take a long breathe in (say 'Ya' silently)
- Breathe out slowly (say 'Allah' silently)
- Do it at least 30 minutes a day for a month.

3. Yes, if you in higher level of sufi meditation.

apophenia

A yoga teacher would be a great help. I also have a back issue, and was becoming very uncomfortable until I began yoga about 5 years ago. It is very compatible with sufi meditation practice. Good teachers also teach yogic breathing (pranayam), which you will find helps to deepen your meditation practice.

The principles and practice of yoga ( Iyengar yoga in my case, in the tradition of Patanjali ) are not in any way in conflict with sufism and Islam, and will allow you to comfortably practice sitting meditation well into your old age. :)

I have also studied for a time with a sufi sheikh, so I am aware of the sufi approach to meditation. You will find the practice of yoga a very helpful complement to your practice if you pursue it, and you will be much fitter and more comfortable too.

Also, at the end of every yoga class and session, you practice meditation lying on your back. This is called savasana, and is a crucial part of yoga/meditation practice.

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
A yoga teacher would be a great help. I also have a back issue, and was becoming very uncomfortable until I began yoga about 5 years ago. It is very compatible with sufi meditation practice. Good teachers also teach yogic breathing (pranayam), which you will find helps to deepen your meditation practice.

The principles and practice of yoga ( Iyengar yoga in my case, in the tradition of Patanjali ) are not in any way in conflict with sufism and Islam, and will allow you to comfortably practice sitting meditation well into your old age. :)

I have also studied for a time with a sufi sheikh, so I am aware of the sufi approach to meditation. You will find the practice of yoga a very helpful complement to your practice if you pursue it, and you will be much fitter and more comfortable too.

Also, at the end of every yoga class and session, you practice meditation lying on your back. This is called savasana, and is a crucial part of yoga/meditation practice.

Yup, it's true ..