• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sufi Art.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have to say after i discovered for my self how sufi practitioners have made some amazing art it has become a new interest for me

Enjoy the sufi art

sufi-dance1.jpg

images

EGixaOYXUAIJgLb.jpg

depositphotos_110255144-stock-illustration-sufi-whirling-dervish-religous-dance.jpg

Vee

Premium Member
I've always found the dervish dances very beautiful. There is a harmony to the movement that is fascinating. A few years ago I read a book about Rumi. That was the first time I've ever heard about dervishes. I've seen videos online, but never had the opportunity to see them dancing live. Do they perform publicly?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've always found the dervish dances very beautiful. There is a harmony to the movement that is fascinating. A few years ago I read a book about Rumi. That was the first time I've ever heard about dervishes. I've seen videos online, but never had the opportunity to see them dancing live. Do they perform publicly?
Yes they do perform in public, especially in Turkey :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes they do perform in public, especially in Turkey :)

From what I read, the "dance" is sometimes performed not by sufis but by others as a tourist attraction.

Beyond that, the Chisti order centered in India uses the arts as a means of worship. The art goes way beyond those pictures. For example, the interior of the dargah (tomb/shrine) of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya is even more beautiful in real life than in this image as I found when I visited India years ago.

Capture.PNG

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
From what I read, the "dance" is sometimes performed not by sufis but by others as a tourist attraction.

Beyond that, the Chisti order centered in India uses the arts as a means of worship. The art goes way beyond those pictures. For example, the interior of the dargah (tomb/shrine) of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya is even more beautiful in real life than in this image as I found when I visited India years ago.

View attachment 49914
The whirling is orginally a form of meditation, but the dervish today use it to show non muslim how beautiful it looks to as a performance.

The art i show in this OP is only a tiny fraction yes

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"The Republic of Turkey banned all Sufi orders and abolished their institutions in 1925, after Sufis opposed the new secular order."
The dancing is for tourism and for the benefit of performers, not for Sufis.

"Persecution of Sufism and Sufi Muslims over the course of centuries has included acts of religious discrimination, persecution and violence both by Sunni and Shia Muslims, such as destruction of Sufi shrines, tombs and mosques, suppression of Sufi orders, murder, and terrorism against adherents of Sufism in a number of Muslim-majority countries."
Persecution of Sufis - Wikipedia

In India, we have nothing of the sort. Sufism thrives in dargahs, although Saudi-trained Mawlanas perhaps cry against it. Hindus visit Sufi shrines in equal numbers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"The Republic of Turkey banned all Sufi orders and abolished their institutions in 1925, after Sufis opposed the new secular order."

"Persecution of Sufism and Sufi Muslims over the course of centuries has included acts of religious discrimination, persecution and violence both by Sunni and Shia Muslims, such as destruction of Sufi shrines, tombs and mosques, suppression of Sufi orders, murder, and terrorism against adherents of Sufism in a number of Muslim-majority countries."

In India, we have nothing of the sort. Sufism thrives in dargahs, although Saudi-trained Mawlanas perhaps cry against it. Hindus visit Sufi shrines in equal numbers.
Yes sufism is banned in turkey, but still it is practiced in hidden locations :) but what tourists see is just a dance performance

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is India.

ksrfatvoqo-1579662180.jpg

At least it has been. Recently I've sadly read about anti-Muslim laws and actions by the Hindu majority.

The times before I visited, most recently in 2012, we visited Muslm dargahs, Hindu temples and the Jain City of God.

And I believe it's still true that there are more Muslims in India to day than in any other nation.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At least it has been. Recently I've sadly read about anti-Muslim laws and actions by the Hindu majority.
The times before I visited, most recently in 2012, we visited Muslim dargahs, Hindu temples and the Jain City of God.
And I believe it's still true that there are more Muslims in India to day than in any other nation.
Well, conflicts also keep happening (1,390 million people in all, how would everything be at peace?), then people come to their senses.
I do not think your last input is correct. Figures from Wikipedia: Indonesia (266 m), Pakistan (212 m). We probably have the third largest number of Muslims in the world (207 m).
Then, there has never been an exact count on religions. That is not permitted by our constitution.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well, conflicts also keep happening, then people come to their senses.
I do not think your last input is correct. Figures from Wikipedia: Indonesia (266 m), Pakistan (212 m). We probably have the third largest number of Muslims in the world (207 m).
Then, there has never been an exact count on religions. That is not permitted by our constitution.

I must have read someone's opinion on the topic rather than verifying it myself.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

Sad :cry: my heart crying because of persecution of sufi muslims

Michael345

It is sad and so wrong to ban sufism :emojconfused:
Sufism is so beautiful and peaceful. in my belief the true islam.
Interestingly, I have never heard of the concept of Sufism before. I began to get involved in the study of Islam not so long ago, and for the first time, I came across this word here. Each time I learn that Islam is deeper than meets the eye. I have read the entire Bible several times, now I want to know more about another religion. Will I master the Quran?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Interestingly, I have never heard of the concept of Sufism before. I began to get involved in the study of Islam not so long ago, and for the first time, I came across this word here. Each time I learn that Islam is deeper than meets the eye. I have read the entire Bible several times, now I want to know more about another religion. Will I master the Quran?
Sufism is the mystical path within Islam, a sufi focus inward to purify the spiritual heart:)

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

That's a shame that sufis have experienced such persecution, but I suspect that for you this is a game of upmanship over Muslims.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That's a shame that sufis have experienced such persecution, but I suspect that for you this is a game of upmanship over Muslims.
For me all are the same, whether Sunnis, Shias or Sufis or any other religion which believes in existence of God / Allah. - ignorance. It is not a game for atheists, it is a game played by the religonists, imposing their thoughts on opponents.

Michael345

Interestingly, I have never heard of the concept of Sufism before. Not so long ago I began to get involved in the study of Islam and first came across this word here. I decided to find more info on the internet and found a lot of research papers about Islam. Each time I learn that Islam is deeper than meets the eye. I have read the whole Bible several times, now I want to know more about another religion. Will I be able to master the Quran?
I was looking for more information and found one wise saying of a Sufi spiritual mentor: "The goal of this world is man, and the goal of man is the moment; the goal of the body is to acquire the spirit, and the goal of the spirit is to regulate the senses. The goal of regulating the senses and organs is to improve the heart, and the goal of the heart is beloved. " I am very impressed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was looking for more information and found one wise saying of a Sufi spiritual mentor: "The goal of this world is man, and the goal of man is the moment; the goal of the body is to acquire the spirit, and the goal of the spirit is to regulate the senses. The goal of regulating the senses and organs is to improve the heart, and the goal of the heart is beloved. " I am very impressed.
Yes, to purify our heart spiritually is main path for all sufi :) to never hate anyone or anything