• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suffering

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
In another thread, it was suggested that suffering is a result of past sins. While I have no concept of "sin" in my worldview, I see suffering as a result of attachment and desire.

In your view, from where does suffering come?

To me sin is just a matter of opinion as it just means going against a certain set of principles or laws as established by someone or society. Or maybe it is going against an established principle of the universe in which case it would not be subjective but a law of nature.

Suffering comes from many places that are natural, such as genetics, mishaps, unfortunate events. But most suffering is caused by humans, either by other people, or by a persons way of thinking which harms themselves.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
In another thread, it was suggested that suffering is a result of past sins. While I have no concept of "sin" in my worldview, I see suffering as a result of attachment and desire.

Where does karma fit in here? Some of our present suffering is due to past mistakes, which might be called "sins".

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I make a distinction between pain (which I have this morning) and suffering. Pain (physical or emotional) is inevitable. Pain is just an object in my consciousness. Suffering is a reaction to that object. It's how one reacts to the pain that causes suffering.

The Buddhist parable of the two arrows sort of sums this up.

In the Arrow Sutta, the first arrow is bodily pain, and the second arrow is the associated mental anguish. The idea being that the first arrow is inevitable, but the second arrow isn't.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Great post.

I would agree with that but would like to add a couple of things.

Attachment to and desire of things like virtues such - honesty, truthfulness, selflessness, in short spiritual things brings joy and happiness.

Next is failure to a lead spiritual life I believe brings suffering and misery also. But there needs to be a balance in this life between the material and spiritual.

To avoid misery I believe we need to walk the spiritual path with practical feet.

Clara Tea

Like the Marine Corps, God didn't promise a rose garden. Or, if he did, it had thorns.

This isn't heaven. This is the line where you wait your turn to get into heaven, and you can earn credits for heaven while waiting in line. Along the way is heart ache and sorrow, and no respite from the almighty who has doomed us to this fate (still exacting paying for the sins in the Garden of Eden?).

While some believe that sin is the cause of suffering, sin is really a pass to hell. Sinful rich folks who denude God's nature to earn a buck (fracking, drilling and burning oil, mining without fixing the mess left behind), will find their ticket stamped and post paid.

Do the rich suffer on earth? It wouldn't appear that they do, nor do their cute young girlfriends. If sin is the cause of suffering, why don't these rich folks appear to be suffering?

Most charities give nothing to to the poor (or very little). They keep it all for themselves. The recent Wounded Warrior Project debacle (RE: Colorado luxury resorts) exemplifies the problem. Do you see any of them suffering?

Opisthognathous senators, too weak willed to oppose their masters (not Gods), cave to public pressure and mammon. Do you see any of them suffering?

If it is true that God is all mighty and all knowing, why does he not answer prayers or relieve suffering?

Cancer patients have not sinned to get their suffering (unless you count original sin of being born a human being, and taking on the burdens of mankind from time immemorial).

Sins have a way of biting us. That is, pollute the environment, deal with the pollution. Cheat on your wife, deal with a cheated and bitter wife. Sins doom us on earth as much as in heaven.

We think of God as loving, but all that we see of God belies that.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Will you then avoid attachment and desire, say, with spouse and children and intimate friendships?

Sin IMHO is disobedience to our conscious and the laws and precepts of the Holy BIble.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I make a distinction between pain (which I have this morning) and suffering. Pain (physical or emotional) is inevitable. Pain is just an object in my consciousness. Suffering is a reaction to that object. It's how one reacts to the pain that causes suffering.

The Buddhist parable of the two arrows sort of sums this up.

I view this on a scale. Given the same physical pain, like a broken arm, or a bout of the flu, it's not about either suffering or not suffering, but to what degree the individual suffers. Some folks are in charge of their emotions, while others aren't, and it's on a scale. Some people cry easily, while other rarely cry. The range runs the gamut of many things, including grief, financial hardship, reading a scary story or going to a great movie , and more.

Yerda

Veteran Member

I guess I see it as a result of natural selection. But the attachment and desire idea definitely resonates a bit for me.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
In my personal experience, suffering can have many causes. I think probably the most prevalent cause I've seen is neglect. Not caring enough to eat right, not taking care of one's self, no exercise, no testing one's mind, etc.

Comfort is the enemy. Don't get too comfortable, or later in life you will reap the results of your laziness.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Depends what you mean by suffering. Not being religious i see it as depicted from a religious standpoint as, "yeah, he/she is suffering because they don't subscribe to my version of faith, just goes to show, rock on god"

From a personal standpoint i see your attachment simile. I was very attached to the part of my large intestine that got cut away, and following a badly healed bile duct was seriously suffering almost to the point of death for several months until a second operation corrected the problem.

To me, suffering is persistent pain.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Attachments to what we want life to be and not what it is I think.

Some attachments make me happy, like my grandkids. Some desires which can be fulfilled, like drinking beer, binge-watching the latest on-line series etc... make me happy.

Not all desires/attachments cause suffering. Just the ones we can't have and can't let go of.

“…Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering…”
- Yoda

I think Yoda is quite correct on this matter. :)

But, perhaps that is not all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I see it coming from upbringing and external factors. I'm kin to believe in inherited trauma (trauma deforms the genes passed on to future generations). The word sin isn't in my worldview either since our identities (whether mind or soul) are influenced by our genes but defined by them (no inherited sinful nature).

Colt

Pain and suffering are essential to progressive evolution and by design. There is a mission to suffering.