• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suffering in heaven

MonkeyFire

I believe the angel of suffering should be free of harm and repay its negative karma in full, with the authority she has over her nature.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I doubt very much that the 'afterlife' would be based on self-pleasure after a lifetime of seeking self-pleasure on Earth had resulted in so much suffering and death.
Can a person be happy in heaven knowing a family member at the same time is being tortured in hell?

For those of course, that have such a dogma in their religion.

PureX

Veteran Member
Can a person be happy in heaven knowing a family member at the same time is being tortured in hell?

Like God, "heaven" is incomprehensible to us. Though that doesn't stop is from filling in the unknowable with all sorts of imaginary solutions.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

This is of course just a take on things, but if Heaven and Hell are spiritual states of being, rather than worldly “places”, there’d be no worldly “persons” to speak of in their context.

In my experience, spiritual concepts like those of “Heaven” and “Hell”, do not make much sense from a purely worldly outlook and are more fruitfully explored from abstract perspective.

Think away space (room)… distinction… positioning… time… Imagine a state of “being” outside the worldly box to which such “things/understandings belong* - There is where to explore spiritual concepts from!

*) It is hard for the human mind to do, but not impossible and worth its while.

Humbly
Hermit

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
What makes it worth it's while in your opinion?

Though not all need adjust their outlook in order to partake in worldliness more constructively, I did.

From a more abstract perspective, how things within worldliness relate to each other, becomes more clear to me; my what-how’s-why’s in life, reach harmonious resolutions and my understanding of others increases. That makes it easier for me to interact with my fellow beings in meaningful ways.

Humbly
Hermit

Kelly of the Phoenix

Do you have afterlife beliefs that involve a heaven-like realm? If so, does suffering exist in this realm? If not, what about minor suffering like frustration? Minor disagreements with other people? Boredom?

I wonder if a perfect life can exist even without some form of inconvenience... If not, would it still be perfect?
I don’t see how Christian heaven has no suffering when you can have wars in it.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Do you have afterlife beliefs that involve a heaven-like realm? If so, does suffering exist in this realm? If not, what about minor suffering like frustration? Minor disagreements with other people? Boredom?

I wonder if a perfect life can exist even without some form of inconvenience... If not, would it still be perfect?

You can answer your own question by imagining what it would be like in the Christian version of Heaven and spending ALL of eternity with all of the MILLIONS of Christians trying to force their beliefs upon you and fighting among themselves over what the bible means. Shivers!

Muffled

Jesus in me
You can answer your own question by imagining what it would be like in the Christian version of Heaven and spending ALL of eternity with all of the MILLIONS of Christians trying to force their beliefs upon you and fighting among themselves over what the bible means. Shivers!

I believe that does not occur.