• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suffering in heaven

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Do you have afterlife beliefs that involve a heaven-like realm? If so, does suffering exist in this realm? If not, what about minor suffering like frustration? Minor disagreements with other people? Boredom?

I wonder if a perfect life can exist even without some form of inconvenience... If not, would it still be perfect?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm an atheist, so the concept of heaven and hell do not rock my boat BUT I find the descriptions one hears about heaven to be awful.
24/7 praising some superbeing, no thanks
What about all your fellow humans who managed to pass the entrance exam? They will be the most boring people imaginable, I want rock stars, comedians, rebels.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I believe in a resurrection of consciousness in a new body hundreds, if not, thousands of years into the future, and that each and every single person who died will come back in some way, because there's good reasons to bring back dead people. I suspect in a few hundred more years even deceased pets will come back too. In this more perfect form you will be able to change your genetics by will, and all negatable suffering will be gone. I suspect that every person will get their own sovereignty with a galaxy named after them, and they will hold dominion over it until humans, and the post-humans, finds ways to exit the Universe before the heat death, or somehow finds a way to reverse it. This type of living will appear as if we are in Heaven already, as the Gods of our respected space real estate. The Universe is so vastly massive and big that I suspect no matter how many humans are created, there will always be a galaxy with someone's name on it. What you do in this life represents how vast and large of a galaxy you get, and we will start to shift into a post-moral society, even allowing people like Hitler and Stalin to come back and they'll host their own galaxies. Space is so vast that there will be no need for war, as resources will be springing up everywhere and we'll find useful ways to take anything and develop useful energy with it. We won't just be Earthseed anymore, we will be a seed for the entire Universe. And that is the physical embodiment of Heaven.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I have a concept of personal apotheosis, a joining with the Gods, becoming one of the many. I suppose it's like heaven but it doesn't actually require death to achieve.

Ah. Reminds me of nirvana. I wonder if even the Buddha experienced annoyance after achieving enlightenment?

Do your beliefs come from a religious tradition in particular?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I'm an atheist, so the concept of heaven and hell do not rock my boat BUT I find the descriptions one hears about heaven to be awful.
What about all your fellow humans who managed to pass the entrance exam? They will be the most boring people imaginable, I want rock stars, comedians, rebels.

Eh... My idea of heaven would be an eternal library with information of all of existence. You wanna talk about boring?

Then again, a time machine that could move around freely through time and space would be cool a la the Tardis.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Eh... My idea of heaven would be an eternal library with information of all of existence. You wanna talk about boring?

Then again, a time machine that could move around freely through time and space would be cool a la the Tardis.
That's infinitely better than what is normally described - can we add all music to that list please

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My idea of heaven would be an eternal library with information of all of existence.
You're not alone. It reminds me of this: Academy on High

Included in the learning is debate! So, the saga continues and no one gets bored.
Agreed. I don't see any reason for that not to be included. It would be a sort of "field trip" for the students of the academy.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Do you have afterlife beliefs that involve a heaven-like realm? If so, does suffering exist in this realm? If not, what about minor suffering like frustration? Minor disagreements with other people? Boredom?

I wonder if a perfect life can exist even without some form of inconvenience... If not, would it still be perfect?
Of course it would. It's all those so-called inconveniences that make life so frustrating sometimes.

King Phenomenon

Occasionally you'll stub your toe.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Do you have afterlife beliefs that involve a heaven-like realm?

I believe in an afterlife that exists in an eternal spiritual realm that is not bound by time or space and is not limited to heaven or hell as depicted in the Bible. I do not believe what the Bible teaches about the afterlife, nor do I believe that human spirits are eternally trapped within a heaven or a hell, as depicted in the Bible. On the contrary, I believe that spirits (both human and non-human) are free to travel between the spirit realm and the physical world as often as they like, either through a spiritual vortex (read more here) or a spirit portal (such as mirrors, windows, and doorways). It's also my belief that there are "earthbound spirits," which are human spirits who refuse to cross over into the spirit world because they have unfinished business or because they don't realize that they are dead. If a human spirit is confused and unaware of their death, then it can get stuck in the physical world and will need the guidance of a psychic medium to cross over into the spirit world. My beliefs about the afterlife are based on my forty-three years of experience as a psychic medium, which includes the last fifteen years as a practicing medium and an experienced paranormal investigator. In my opinion, the evidence of paranormal phenomena that I've documented or that was documented by other paranormal investigators that I either personally know or believe to be honest in their investigations has validated my beliefs and my experiences as a medium.

If so, does suffering exist in this realm? If not, what about minor suffering like frustration? Minor disagreements with other people? Boredom?

Based on my knowledge and experiences as a psychic medium, I believe that a human spirit's experience is primarily determined by them and can be either negative or positive, including how they react to death and even what kind of person they were while alive. I have been communicating with and interacting with these spirits for fifteen years, and these experiences have convinced me that a person's character in this life can carry over into the afterlife and determine what their personal experience will be in the spirit world.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Occasionally you'll stub your toe.

It's kind of funny to think about

Maybe on the other end of the spectrum, there's an upper level of hell where people experience minor inconveniences like this from time to time. Nothing too awful. Every once in a while you step on a lego, though

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I do not believe there will be any suffering in the heaven-like realm, which is a spiritual world, which contains many worlds.
I do not think there will be any frustration, disagreements with other people, or boredom. Everyone in heaven will be content so they won't disagree with others. There will be endless opportunities so there will never be any boredom. Inconveniences are particular to this physical world, they don't exist in a spiritual world where there is nothing physical.

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

Maybe that is subjective. I believe there is afterlife without sorrow and evil. And I don't think people that are there, will be bored or frustrated.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe suffering occurs when people do not accept what is. My wife in Heaven spends her time in a convent where men are not allowed. If she has a great desire for men then being there causes suffering. It makes me wonder why she is happy to stay in Heaven instead of coming back to life like me. Maybe it is because she suffers even more here because of her sinfulness.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe that is what Jesus said, that people don't come to the light because they love the darkness.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I believe that is what Jesus said, that people don't come to the light because they love the darkness.
Well the darkness is great for sleeping, concerts, sex, fireworks ... I'm sure there are more but nothing wrong with darkness