• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suffering and evil

idea

Question Everything
I agree with that. I wouldn’t mind never getting old, either.
In fact, that’s (part of) the promise:
“Let his flesh become fresher than in youth.” — Job 33:25
Job 33:25 - Elihu Rebukes Job

With the way our bodies rejuvenate themselves, it’s easy to understand how we could live forever.
It’s harder to explain why, as humans age, the process breaks down.
But imperfection is an inherited condition. — Romans 5:12

Genesis 3 shows that the issue of Jehovah God’s sovereignty (right to rule) was raised, and Adam gave it validity by him choosing to rebel.

Time was / has been required to settle that issue…. Humans have pretty much failed at all forms of rulership, establishing a record of ineptitude & incompetence. For all to see.

Humans have not failed in leadership. The reason there is now 8 billion of us is because most people, most of the time, work together.

8 billion doesn't happen due to failure. Nothing perfect, but the secular world has produced 8 billion. I expect the secular world will also produce interplanetary travel, colonization, and immortality soon as well.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Humans have not failed in leadership.
Oh really? Are you saying people have gotten along with each other? The annals of history have shown otherwise.
Plus, there’s more mental illness than ever before! People are suffering, even in developed lands. On top of that, mankind cannot solve the problems they have created, like the overuse of plastic & oil, and the resultant pollution.
We know what to do, but a negligible few want to do it. The vast majority go along with the prevailing conglomerates, which prefer selfishness and greed.
And now, our home — Earth — is threatened.
The reason there is now 8 billion of us is because most people, most of the time, work together.
Well, at least two at a time…. Come on, 8 billion is due to sex…nothing else. Unfortunately, many of these are born into broken & unloving households, leading either directly or indirectly to increases in the aforementioned mental illness and suffering categories.
IMO, If people would just adhere to the Bible’s standards on sexual relations, that alone would alleviate a big percentage of those problems!

Nothing perfect, but the secular world has produced 8 billion. I expect the secular world will also produce interplanetary travel, colonization, and immortality soon as well.
From observing the way events have unfolded & continue to unfold, I think you expect too much. Sounds like you’ve read a lot of Isaac Asimov novels.

idea

Question Everything
Oh really? Are you saying people have gotten along with each other? The annals of history have shown otherwise.
Plus, there’s more mental illness than ever before! People are suffering, even in developed lands. On top of that, mankind cannot solve the problems they have created, like the overuse of plastic & oil, and the resultant pollution.
We know what to do, but a negligible few want to do it. The vast majority go along with the prevailing conglomerates, which prefer selfishness and greed.
Well, at least two at a time…. Come on, 8 billion is due to sex…nothing else. Unfortunately, many of these are born into broken & unloving households, leading either directly or indirectly to increases in the aforementioned mental illness and suffering categories.
IMO, If people would just adhere to the Bible’s standards on sexual relations, that alone would alleviate a big percentage of those problems!

From observing the way events have unfolded & continue to unfold, I think you expect too much. Sounds like you’ve read a lot of Isaac Asimov novels.

Religious folks are fear mongers, doomsdayers, look down on everyone, think the worst of everyone, want everyone to kill one another to fulfill their Armageddon prophecies.

Secular folks are inclusive, celebrate diversity, support one another, think thd best of one another, work towards scientific advances which make everyone's lives better.

Another reason "god" concept is evil.
I know families who spent their entire life in fear - with stockpiled guns, food storage - Armageddon never came, wasted their entire lives.

Other athiest friends live without food storage - not holding, enjoying life to fullest. Hoping the athiests have more sex than the theists - athiests make better parents.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Which standards? There is no concrete message.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Religious folks are fear mongers, doomsdayers, look down on everyone, think the worst of everyone, want everyone to kill one another to fulfill their Armageddon prophecies.
That's quite a terrible experience you have had.
I can't invite you to get to know "religious" folk that are nothing like that, since it may come over to some, as though I am preaching, but you certainly have met religious folk that have not given you good news. :(

Secular folks are inclusive, celebrate diversity, support one another, think thd best of one another, work towards scientific advances which make everyone's lives better.
Wow. That's all I will say. :)

Another reason "god" concept is evil.
I know families who spent their entire life in fear - with stockpiled guns, food storage - Armageddon never came, wasted their entire lives.
Yeah. That was sad. How unfortunate that they were misled.
If they had listened to the good news... provided they got the opportunity, they would have stayed away from those guns... and those who taught them. :(

Other athiest friends live without food storage - not holding, enjoying life to fullest. Hoping the athiests have more sex than the theists - athiests make better parents.
Hope with their wife... or husband :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Followers of Jesus should be lovers, not haters. In fact, @ John 13:34-35, Jesus said their love would identify them, for people to observe.

I think your experience has been with those who “claim they know God, but they disown Him by their works.”
Titus 1:16

Christendom is full of hypocrisy.

But yet & still, it wouldn’t be in humankind’s best interests to ignore the situation we find ourselves in.

As Jehovah’s Witnesses, we certainly do not “want everyone to kill one another”. Like our God Jehovah, we want people to live. (2 Peter 3:9; 1 Timothy 2:4) Yes, I can speak for all my brothers & sisters. We really do ‘speak in agreement.’ 1 Corinthians 1:10

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Which standards? There is no concrete message.
“No concrete message” in the Bible on fornication / sexual relations? Sure there is!

That’s what I was talking about, the post you quoted:

And it would.

Last edited: