• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘After more than 30 years of Islamist rule, Sudan has outlined wide-reaching reforms including allowing non-Muslims to drink alcohol, and scrapping the apostasy law and public flogging.

"We [will] drop all the laws violating the human rights in Sudan," Justice Minister Nasredeen Abdulbari said.

A raft of new laws were passed last week but this is the first public explanation of their contents.

Sudan has also banned female genital mutilation (FGM).

Under the new laws, women no longer need permission from a male relative to travel with their children.’

Read more here: https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-53379733

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
‘After more than 30 years of Islamist rule, Sudan has outlined wide-reaching reforms including allowing non-Muslims to drink alcohol, and scrapping the apostasy law and public flogging.

"We [will] drop all the laws violating the human rights in Sudan," Justice Minister Nasredeen Abdulbari said.

A raft of new laws were passed last week but this is the first public explanation of their contents.

Under the new laws, women no longer need permission from a male relative to travel with their children.’

Read more here: Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims
That's wonderful

Cooky

Veteran Member

While that might take them off my "nuke-at-will" list, it's still not good enough.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Yeehaaa, progress, great progress, more to follow i hope.

Now some way to change attitudes may make the new laws workable

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
That job is up to us in religious debates and those like us in similar forums :)

To a small extent but how many Sudanese visit these forums. I think its going to take changes to education and tribal/community practices before the new laws are adhered to.

exchemist

Veteran Member

That's encouraging news.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

This is great news, especially for those living there. And probably others will follow now ... when one sheep crosses others follow