• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Subjective or Objective?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Is god, or any variation thereof, objective or subjective?

I think the only god concept that could be purely objective is the non-personal one. What I like to call the underlying reality, what Star Wars calls the force. We all experience this reality differently as personal god(s).

Onkara

I agree with Tumbleweed's statement, it is subjective. However if you could find an objective truth, could that be an objective attribute of God making God objective?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Subjective. Even the so-called "objective" reality is subjective in how it's viewed. I call it Brahman, as the total aggregate of all existence, and I deify it. The fact that it exists is objective. My deification of it is subjective.

nonbeliever_92

I agree with Tumbleweed's statement, it is subjective. However if you could find an objective truth, could that be an objective attribute of God making God objective?

No. That's like saying I have an idea and I write it down, therefore the idea is objective.

nonbeliever_92

Subjective. Even the so-called "objective" reality is subjective in how it's viewed. I call it Brahman, as the total aggregate of all existence, and I deify it. The fact that it exists is objective. My deification of it is subjective.

yay, things exist.

Onkara

No. That's like saying I have an idea and I write it down, therefore the idea is objective.

Ideas are subjective, what if it wasn't an idea. Rather it is something which can be communicated through ideas yet exists beyond ideas, wouldn't that be objective?

nonbeliever_92

I think the only god concept that could be purely objective is the non-personal one. What I like to call the underlying reality, what Star Wars calls the force. We all experience this reality differently as personal god(s).

What do you mean purely objective? Are there some things that are semi-objective and semi subjective? Is there something that's 75% objective and 25% subjective?

nonbeliever_92

Ideas are subjective, what if it wasn't an idea. Rather it is something which can be communicated through ideas yet exists beyond ideas, wouldn't that be objective?

1) What do you mean by "beyond ideas?"
2) Can you show something of that effect?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
yay things exist and they already have a name, but I'll give them a different one and call it something else anyway!

Did you read the part about "treatment?"

It's not just that all things exist, it's that all things are ultimately One. If all things are ultimately God, then you and I are also God, and are to be treated as such. That's why my signature says "My Lord Siva, what lesson are you teaching me with this form?" I believe that you are Siva (God/Brahman) trying to teach me something. Meanwhile, my spiritual path is about trying to remember that I and all other things are One, that "Aham Brahman". Theistic beliefs are a great way of getting me started.

BTW, the word "Brahman" existed long before the word "Universe." ;)

nonbeliever_92

1) Consciousness. For ideas to exist there must be an arena in which they come and go. That arena is consciousness, name it what we will consciousness must still be there for the act of naming itself to exist.

2) If I could show it to you then equally I could remove it from you. It would then not be evidential enough for you is my point and it would be best if you could show it to yourself, when alone or with others. So try disproving your own consciousness to yourself. That is stronger than anything I can show you.

PS: That is the reason I believe in God regarding your other thread :)

Consciousness is not objective, it's fully subjective. Your brain is, but that's not beyond ideas as it were. How do we know conciousness isn't objective? in simplest terms, you can't measure it.

nonbeliever_92

Consciousness is not objective, it's fully subjective. Your brain is, but that's not beyond ideas as it were. How do we know conciousness isn't objective? in simplest terms, you can't measure it.

If you could measure conciousness, you would see that mine is huge. You can tell because my feet are big.

nonbeliever_92

What do you mean purely objective? Are there some things that are semi-objective and semi subjective? Is there something that's 75% objective and 25% subjective?

And if so how do you measure something's objectivity to subjectivity ratio?

I'd actually desire a response to this.

nonbeliever_92

1) Consciousness. For ideas to exist there must be an arena in which they come and go. That arena is consciousness, name it what we will consciousness must still be there for the act of naming itself to exist.

2) If I could show it to you then equally I could remove it from you. It would then not be evidential enough for you is my point and it would be best if you could show it to yourself, when alone or with others. So try disproving your own consciousness to yourself. That is stronger than anything I can show you.

PS: That is the reason I believe in God regarding your other thread :)

And what do you mean by removing my conciousness? Should I be worried?