• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid moment of the week

Vee

Premium Member
A couple days ago I went to my car to get a box I had in the trunk. I pressed the button to open the trunk on the key fob, threw the car keys inside and closed the trunk :rolleyes:
Lucky for me the car was parked on my street and I went home and got the spare key. When I think that could have happened anywhere else it still makes me nervous. I wonder where my head goes sometimes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A couple days ago I went to my car to get a box I had in the trunk. I pressed the button to open the trunk on the key fob, threw the car keys inside and closed the trunk :rolleyes:
Lucky for me the car was parked on my street and I went home and got the spare key. When I think that could have happened anywhere else it still makes me nervous. I wonder where my head goes sometimes.

This is why i always keep spare car keys in my handbag. It's never happened yet that I've shut my keys in the car but it could at any time.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I am a big believer in Murphy's Law. I never trust myself not to make a stupid mistake, so I always try to have a backup plan for WHEN it happens

exchemist

Veteran Member
I like it when younger people post stories like this.

They make me feel that perhaps cognitive decline is not setting in, after all.:D

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Much to the frustration of people around me, I refuse to lock my car doors. The idea of locking the keys in is just one reason why I don't.

The biggest one is I don't want people breaking my windows. I lived in a neighborhood when my oldest son was young in which every car on the street was broken into at periodic intervals. You'd wake up, and see a line of broken windows.... the only car on the block that didn't have broken windows was mine. I just left the door open for the thieves, and made sure to keep nothing of value in the car. Some stuff would be strewn around, but who wants grocery bags, receipts, and pop bottles?

lukethethird

unknown member

I keep my key fob in my pocket for when i accidentally lock my keys in the car.

Audie

Veteran Member
Following Biden up among balloons?

Nah

Which that shoot down was among
the srupidest. You just made a mistake
on "autopilot". Biden / balloon was
considered for days.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I don't own a car and I can't drive. I never forget to bring my keys with me when I leave my apartment and I can't lock myself out of it because I have to lock it from the outside. In theory I could leave my building without my keys and not be able to get back in, but that's never happened to me before. I typically don't have 'stupid moments' like this because I double check everything before I go or leave somewhere.

lukethethird

unknown member
I might add that keeping my key fob in my pocket at all times for when I lock my keys in the car has not prevented my fob from going through the wash cycle.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My dad always had a sore point about keys, and I guess a lot of it rubbed off on me. Of course, there are solutions if one locks one's keys in one's car, though it might entail the expense of a locksmith. I don't know how much they charge for that. There are also subscription services like On Star which can open your car remotely. But then, I guess if one locks the keys and the phone in the car, then it would be even worse.

In critical situations, such as cases where someone locks their keys in their car with a baby inside, they might call the police or fire department to come out to break in.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My dad always had a sore point about keys, and I guess a lot of it rubbed off on me. Of course, there are solutions if one locks one's keys in one's car, though it might entail the expense of a locksmith. I don't know how much they charge for that. There are also subscription services like On Star which can open your car remotely. But then, I guess if one locks the keys and the phone in the car, then it would be even worse.

In critical situations, such as cases where someone locks their keys in their car with a baby inside, they might call the police or fire department to come out to break in.

My husband knows how to use a clothes hanger to open the car doors. We have older vehicles, though, so I wonder how much the locks differ with the newer stuff.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband knows how to use a clothes hanger to open the car doors. We have older vehicles, though, so I wonder how much the locks differ with the newer stuff.

Well, I suppose there's always ways of breaking in to a car. Although I've heard that carjackings happen largely because car thieves are not as able to hot wire a car as they once were. The anti-theft technology has gotten much better than it used to be. But by the same token, it's a bigger pain if you forget your keys or your passcode or whatever other device one might depend on to be able to use all this technology.

This is the reason why I don't like thieves. Not just because they steal from others, but because of all the measures that have to be put in place to prevent thievery that also end up being inconveniences to honest people. What if we didn't need to lock up our cars and homes? What if we didn't have to click on pictures of fire hydrants to prove that we're human and not dogs (although dogs can also identify fire hydrants, I think)?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This happened to me a few years back, and where I only had the one key. I always lock fully - doors already locked - and when I called a car mechanic (or locksmith) he wasn't too optimistic. However, he managed to prise a rear window open a bit and either got the window down or the door open, and hence got access to the boot. Can't remember the details now. I will not do this again because I don't have a car anymore. :D

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I employed a locksmith to rekey my doors. He was one of these "old school" guys, knew it all could do it all. I'm trying to remember why he needed to but he opened one lock with a lock pick. It amazed me how easy it was for him to open a locked door. Made me think.

Incidentally, he told me he made a steady income from people who locked themselves out of their houses. He said it was very rare that he couldn't get in with the lock pick. Click, open door, $75 please.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Locking my keys in my car is a normal thing for me. Normal enough I've gotten pretty good with a wire coat hanger at either retrieving them or finding a way to open the door up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On Mr Van, I installed a keybox (with an easy
to remember combination) holding a spare key.
I also carry a couple gallons of spare gas.
Inside is a hidden safe with spare cash, jacks,
tools, food, clothing, & spare consumables.
Experience.
The stupid part is driving him all over the
country buying things to give away.