• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff To Put In The Yard

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
How about Astroturf?
Or if that's too spendy, old carpeting?
And if there are areas you don't want trodden,
put old appliances or plumbing fixtures there.
Go full blown Sanford & Son.

When we had our stove replaced, I was muttering about not knowing what to do with the old one. A friend paused and said "If you want the socially acceptable answer, you should probably take it to the dump. If you want my personal answer, you should put it in the front yard and slap a Lynyrd Skynyrd poster over the front, and hang a rebel flag from it." I had a good laugh, but told him I wasn't partial to either Skynyrd or rebel flags, but I could do an Ozzy poster and a British flag instead.

Husband wouldn't let me, though. :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When we had our stove replaced, I was muttering about not knowing what to do with the old one. A friend paused and said "If you want the socially acceptable answer, you should probably take it to the dump. If you want my personal answer, you should put it in the front yard and slap a Lynyrd Skynyrd poster over the front, and hang a rebel flag from it." I had a good laugh, but told him I wasn't partial to either Skynyrd or rebel flags, but I could do an Ozzy poster and a British flag instead.

Husband wouldn't let me, though. :(
If it doesn't become yard art,
it should go to a scrap yard,
not a landfill.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Creeping Charlie only grows well when you don't want it.
I recommend wood chips. Buy'm by the truckload from
a bulk supplier.
They won't die.
They'll keep feet pretty clean.
And they look really neat.
Grass can grow up thru them if the family ever calms down.
Also, ticks hate wood chips, so it's a good way of keeping them out of your yard.

"Irritate Their Feet. Ticks don't like to cross paths lined with wood chips or gravel. Think of it like humans walking over glass—not pleasant. Place a gravel or wood chip buffer zone between lawns and wooded areas to help keep ticks from crossing onto your property".
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/a20706037/how-to-get-rid-ticks-yard/#:~:text=Irritate%20Their%20Feet&text=Ticks%20don't%20like%20to,from%20crossing%20onto%20your%20property.&ved=2ahUKEwjtx6SZzaj4AhXGKUQIHfCmAI8QFnoECAsQBQ&usg=AOvVaw07RRPXXaZhnl6zjxfX-FSG

@JustGeorge you have kids and dogs, so ticks should be a concern.
Actually, all the grass dying could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as far as that goes.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Also, ticks hate wood chips, so it's a good way of keeping them out of your yard.

"Irritate Their Feet. Ticks don't like to cross paths lined with wood chips or gravel. Think of it like humans walking over glass—not pleasant. Place a gravel or wood chip buffer zone between lawns and wooded areas to help keep ticks from crossing onto your property".
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/a20706037/how-to-get-rid-ticks-yard/#:~:text=Irritate%20Their%20Feet&text=Ticks%20don't%20like%20to,from%20crossing%20onto%20your%20property.&ved=2ahUKEwjtx6SZzaj4AhXGKUQIHfCmAI8QFnoECAsQBQ&usg=AOvVaw07RRPXXaZhnl6zjxfX-FSG

@JustGeorge you have kids and dogs, so ticks should be a concern.
Actually, all the grass dying could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as far as that goes.

The dogs get tick/flea prevention in the warm months... think they'll ever make that for peoples? :D

I wouldn't care so much, but I'm having to sweep and mop multiple times a day to keep the dirt down to a dull roar. I wonder what they do to discourage dirt/dust in dry climates.

I've always wanted an inground pool... maybe I oughta just turn the whole thing into a wading pool.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The dogs get tick/flea prevention in the warm months... think they'll ever make that for peoples? :D

There are things you can do.

According to the Farmer's almanac, you can make yourself less attractive to ticks by eating:
Garlic
Any citrus fruit
Cayanne pepper
Apple cider vinegar.

I started eating or drinking all of the above on a daily basis after I found a tick embedded in my chest about 6 weeks ago.

Since then I've only found one on me and he hadn't latched on yet.

Also, in all that time, even though I'm outside in the woods more than not, I've literally only been bitten by one mosquito, so something seems to be working.

I've also been experimenting with a bunch of different repellents. Ironically, the stuff that I like the best (based mostly on lack of stink) is this repellent I found at the Dollar tree this week. It's made with geraniol, a natural plant based oil which has been proven to be effective.

Then there's this stuff called Permethrin that you can spray on your clothes that's supposed to keep ticks off of you for up to 6 weeks:

The CDC has declared tick-borne Lyme disease an epidemic now, so all this is worth looking into.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My yard is dirt.

After the dogs ran over a good part of the grass, and last year's construction killed off what was left, my backyard is 90% dirt.

Its driving me nuts, as the kids are constantly tracking it in. We've sectioned off the dogs to another part of the yard and filled that with mulch, but I don't really want mulch on both sides.

What will grow over the dirt at this time of year? I don't really care what it is, as long as its nontoxic. I've considered transplanting some creeping charlie from alongside the river, but I'm told it won't take over(though I am not sure if people are just trying to keep me from doing it, as I've heard that that is what creeping charlie does). Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Any ideas?
Astroturf.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

After the dogs ran over a good part of the grass, and last year's construction killed off what was left, my backyard is 90% dirt.

Its driving me nuts, as the kids are constantly tracking it in. We've sectioned off the dogs to another part of the yard and filled that with mulch, but I don't really want mulch on both sides.

What will grow over the dirt at this time of year? I don't really care what it is, as long as its nontoxic. I've considered transplanting some creeping charlie from alongside the river, but I'm told it won't take over(though I am not sure if people are just trying to keep me from doing it, as I've heard that that is what creeping charlie does). Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Any ideas?
I always had success with perennial rye grass. It is a cool season grass that germinates rapidly and seems do OK in shade or light.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?
Alternatively, you could just fence the area off and keep the kids out there. They'd probably love it...for a little bit until they realized there were no outlets and they weren't getting back in. They're kids though. They bounce right back. Not like us adults.

It isn't the best time for planting grass, but I still think perennial ryegrass is your best bet.

Bird123

My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?

Instead of planting grass seeds, put sod out. Builders of new homes always use sod winter or summer. Be sure to keep it watered until it really takes root in your dirt. I have never seen a builder have to go back. On the other hand, if it is a super shady spot, it might be hard to get anything at all to grow.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

pearl

Until a few years ago we had the same problem until it got to be terrible, the grass was just dying out, we also have a dog and until recently, very energetic. We had several yards of loom trucked in and seeded, last year. All the work is now paying off as the lawn has filled in. Its only the wrong time of year if the area is in the hot sun, we have a 170 yr old tree which provides good amount of partial shade.
If you are looking for ground cover for areas there are many, ground cover pachysandra is lush, fast spreading and evergreen all year. Happy landscaping.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?

White clover is a good ground cover, that is virtually no mow, as it doesn't get very tall.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am still going with lawn ornaments. Done correctly any change in the future from that will be seen as an improvement by your neighbors.

A garden gnome or two would be nice:

tacky-garden-ornaments.jpg

81lNFOqP2ML._AC_SX466_.jpg

Some ducks to go with your flamingoes:

banana-duck-lawn-ornaments_400x333.jpg

A companion for your dogs:

cfa1705786d8428e2e1c26cba13a295fw-c0xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

And last but definitely not least this 95 inch tall dinosaur:

Jurassic-Sized+Parasaurolopus+Dinosaur+Statue.jpg

Only $5,128 at Wayfair.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I am still going with lawn ornaments. Done correctly any change in the future from that will be seen as an improvement by your neighbors.

Only $5,128 at Wayfair.
Not all garden gnomes have to be dull:
46-176469655.jpg

c245afa5-1b25-4462-94ac-e55969b5053c.jpg

mg43504,1254467314,gartenzwerg_2.jpg

51z6KzCNtWL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
There are things you can do.

According to the Farmer's almanac, you can make yourself less attractive to ticks by eating:
Garlic
Any citrus fruit
Cayanne pepper
Apple cider vinegar.

I started eating or drinking all of the above on a daily basis after I found a tick embedded in my chest about 6 weeks ago.

Since then I've only found one on me and he hadn't latched on yet.

Also, in all that time, even though I'm outside in the woods more than not, I've literally only been bitten by one mosquito, so something seems to be working.

I've also been experimenting with a bunch of different repellents. Ironically, the stuff that I like the best (based mostly on lack of stink) is this repellent I found at the Dollar tree this week. It's made with geraniol, a natural plant based oil which has been proven to be effective.

Then there's this stuff called Permethrin that you can spray on your clothes that's supposed to keep ticks off of you for up to 6 weeks:

The CDC has declared tick-borne Lyme disease an epidemic now, so all this is worth looking into.

Ironically, we found a tick on Ares today, and he eats all those things...

I'll check out the Dollar Tree.

What the heck does Lyme Disease do anyways?

I always had success with perennial rye grass. It is a cool season grass that germinates rapidly and seems do OK in shade or light.

Alternatively, you could just fence the area off and keep the kids out there. They'd probably love it...for a little bit until they realized there were no outlets and they weren't getting back in. They're kids though. They bounce right back. Not like us adults.

It isn't the best time for planting grass, but I still think perennial ryegrass is your best bet.

Instead of planting grass seeds, put sod out. Builders of new homes always use sod winter or summer. Be sure to keep it watered until it really takes root in your dirt. I have never seen a builder have to go back. On the other hand, if it is a super shady spot, it might be hard to get anything at all to grow.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Until a few years ago we had the same problem until it got to be terrible, the grass was just dying out, we also have a dog and until recently, very energetic. We had several yards of loom trucked in and seeded, last year. All the work is now paying off as the lawn has filled in. Its only the wrong time of year if the area is in the hot sun, we have a 170 yr old tree which provides good amount of partial shade.
If you are looking for ground cover for areas there are many, ground cover pachysandra is lush, fast spreading and evergreen all year. Happy landscaping.

White clover is a good ground cover, that is virtually no mow, as it doesn't get very tall.

I'm going to look into all these options.

Only $5,128 at Wayfair.

I'm going with the dinosaur. The 'naugty gnomes' are my sister's thing.

We Never Know

No Slack
My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?

More grass seed :D

"Planting grass by seed or sod in June or July requires some extra care to ensure that the seedlings have enough moisture for healthy growth"

Can You Grow Grass in June & July?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Ironically, we found a tick on Ares today, and he eats all those things...

Most repellents won't keep ticks from crawling on you (ticks are pretty stupid. They'll even attach themselves to clothing that's been treated with pesticide) they'll just keep the tick from biting and latching on to you, which is how they transmit the disease.

If you just find a tick crawling around on you or someone, it's not a big deal if it hasn't attached itself yet.

Even then it usually takes several hours of the tick feeding on you before it can transmit the infection (estimates vary on how long).

The link below has some information about what signs and symptoms to look for.
I'll check out the Dollar Tree.

What the heck does Lyme Disease do anyways?

Nothing good: Lyme disease home | CDC

One good thing is that it's easily treatable once it's diagnosed. Just takes a course of antibiotics.

The real problems set in when it goes undiagnosed for a long time --- months or years --- which it often does because it's hard to diagnose unless it's being looked for specifically.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the patch is raked and smooth with good soil, the turf is laid out (green side up) and watered regularly until the turf has rooted.

Then all you have to do is treat it like a lawn.
Turf on this side of the pond is usually used for fake grass, such as astroturf, and we'd often call what you're talking about sod.