• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff To Put In The Yard

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

After the dogs ran over a good part of the grass, and last year's construction killed off what was left, my backyard is 90% dirt.

Its driving me nuts, as the kids are constantly tracking it in. We've sectioned off the dogs to another part of the yard and filled that with mulch, but I don't really want mulch on both sides.

What will grow over the dirt at this time of year? I don't really care what it is, as long as its nontoxic. I've considered transplanting some creeping charlie from alongside the river, but I'm told it won't take over(though I am not sure if people are just trying to keep me from doing it, as I've heard that that is what creeping charlie does). Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Any ideas?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

After the dogs ran over a good part of the grass, and last year's construction killed off what was left, my backyard is 90% dirt.

Its driving me nuts, as the kids are constantly tracking it in. We've sectioned off the dogs to another part of the yard and filled that with mulch, but I don't really want mulch on both sides.

What will grow over the dirt at this time of year? I don't really care what it is, as long as its nontoxic. I've considered transplanting some creeping charlie from alongside the river, but I'm told it won't take over(though I am not sure if people are just trying to keep me from doing it, as I've heard that that is what creeping charlie does). Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Any ideas?

Invest in some turf, instant lawn.

Or artificial grass, I don't like it but it is quick and simple and fairly maintenance free

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Pumpkins or rhubarb will quickly take over everything :D

Pumpkins would be awesome! Rhubarb is great, too, but the leaves are toxic, so that's a no go.

Invest in some turf, instant lawn.

Or artificial grass, I don't like it but it is quick and simple and fairly maintenance free

Is the instant lawn hard to get going?

I'm not sure I could do artificial. I'd feel like I belonged on the Brady Bunch.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Any ideas?
There is no time of year for grass, it should grow at any time except winter. But there are a few dozen kinds of "grass" and not all may be fit for your climate and soil. Speaking of soil, you need a thin layer of soil, not just dirt and it must be watered daily until it has taken root. If you have dew in the morning that's enough but better get the hose out. Starting a lawn takes some work in the beginning.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Pumpkins would be awesome! Rhubarb is great, too, but the leaves are toxic, so that's a no go.

Is the instant lawn hard to get going?

I'm not sure I could do artificial. I'd feel like I belonged on the Brady Bunch.

If the patch is raked and smooth with good soil, the turf is laid out (green side up) and watered regularly until the turf has rooted.

Then all you have to do is treat it like a lawn.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?
Creeping Charlie only grows well when you don't want it.
I recommend wood chips. Buy'm by the truckload from
a bulk supplier.
They won't die.
They'll keep feet pretty clean.
And they look really neat.
Grass can grow up thru them if the family ever calms down.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Grass seeds have been unsuccessful; I'm told this is the wrong time of year for that.

Grass seeds should grow, spring, summer and autumn (i guess depends when your spring starts, i.e. no dropping below freezing at night)

When we lived in England a house we bought needed the front lawn patching. There was seed in the shed when we moved in so tried that, it failed, the box was dated 4 years previously. Bought a new box and it was sprouting within a few days.
Age makes a difference.

ChristineM

Premium Member
a bulk supplier.
They won't die.

Wood chips are great but can float away in the rain, particularly if the land is on a slope

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If the patch is raked and smooth with good soil, the turf is laid out (green side up) and watered regularly until the turf has rooted.

Then all you have to do is treat it like a lawn.
Care must be taken early on. Running on new sod is not conducive to its health.

I spent a summer sod busting. Instead of rolls we folded it.

Don't forget the all important lawn ornaments:

BD105MAIN.jpg

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My yard is dirt.

Any ideas?
Sun or shade?

Do you have many trees? (Fun fact: the biologies of tree root systems and grass root systems are antagonistic toward each other)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
a bulk supplier.
They won't die.

We actually managed to get the city to truck in a bunch of woodchips last year; still have a big pile of them that we refill the dog's side of the yard with. I don't put them on the people's side because they're almost as unpleasant on the foot as shoes are.

Stuff growing that you don't want is about right... a few owners before us was an old woman with an exotic flower garden. Exquisite plants, and they just come up everywhere... its troublesome only because I don't know what the bulk of them are, or if they're toxic, and I have a kid that eats yard plants to get a reaction out of you... not a good mix, so I pull out anything I don't recognize.

Sun or shade?

Do you have many trees? (Fun fact: the biologies of tree root systems and grass root systems are antagonistic toward each other)

Its sunny for the bulk of it, with a bit of shade in the back. There's a medium sized apple and small mulberry tree, but the apple tree grows straight up, so gives no shade.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We actually managed to get the city to truck in a bunch of woodchips last year; still have a big pile of them that we refill the dog's side of the yard with. I don't put them on the people's side because they're almost as unpleasant on the foot as shoes are.

Stuff growing that you don't want is about right... a few owners before us was an old woman with an exotic flower garden. Exquisite plants, and they just come up everywhere... its troublesome only because I don't know what the bulk of them are, or if they're toxic, and I have a kid that eats yard plants to get a reaction out of you... not a good mix, so I pull out anything I don't recognize.

Its sunny for the bulk of it, with a bit of shade in the back. There's a medium sized apple and small mulberry tree, but the apple tree grows straight up, so gives no shade.
I would not worry too much about a child eating rhubarb leaves. It takes a LOT of leaves to kill a person. If a child ate a significant amount the most likely result would be nausea and diarrhea. That might even fix the "I am going to shock Mommy" attitude:

Are Rhubarb Leaves Poisonous?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I would not worry too much about a child eating rhubarb leaves. It takes a LOT of leaves to kill a person. If a child ate a significant amount the most likely result would be nausea and diarrhea. That might even fix the "I am going to shock Mommy" attitude:

Are Rhubarb Leaves Poisonous?

I could just tell him they're collards... can't imagine him eating those willingly...:rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I could just tell him they're collards... can't imagine him eating those willingly...:rolleyes:
It seems that we know of rhubarb's toxicity from its recommendation to be used as a substitute for certain vegetables during WWI . At least that is what my linked source claims.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How about Astroturf?
Or if that's too spendy, old carpeting?
And if there are areas you don't want trodden,
put old appliances or plumbing fixtures there.
Go full blown Sanford & Son.