• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff n' Things

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm going through my room yet again, which seems to accumulate all the junk and stuff that really has no permanent place to be.

I live in an old four square house. Two of the bedrooms have very tiny closets, other than that, there's no storage other than a shed that was added over the summer. The shed is a pain in the hindquarters to get to, and not really a place you'd store anything other than large items you only use on occasion(not the place for hammers, light bulbs, guitars, etc).

Have you come up with any creative ways of storing items in which they're still easily accessed?

Is there room to put some of those mesh shelving units in the closets? Also a trunk is good to use as a table but you can put stuff in it. And as someone suggested, plastic totes work nicely.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Umm, no. :oops:
I love collecting books but my bookshelf is almost full and the wardrobe with all my clothes is the only place where a small amount of space is still left. That's where i've planned to move all my newly purchased books for the time being but i'm aware that i'll soon run out of my wardrobe space as well. And then i don't know where i'll store my books. Probably stack them on the floor or something. I just cannot afford a new shelf right now. :(

I collect books, too. :) One of the few things we don't have trouble storing. The living room and dining room have several large shelves, done up in pretty ways(other than the one in the dining room corner; its full of not just books, but games and kid craft stuff, so that one's usually a mess).

Cellar with the cat trays. Attic with the spiders. Guitars can be hung on a wall, make a nice display item. A metal toolbox for tools (doh!) that goes under the bed. A suitcase or few full of other bits and bats can join it. I alternate summer/winter clothes that way.

All pretty, yeah i do that, but its all i got, sorry

We had some guitars hung on the wall for a time.. there were two guitars, and a bass. And then every time I turned around, there was a new one! I swear, the things were breeding... (hubby has a problem with bringing in or accepting as a gift every broken guitar presented to him).

I was looking at some decorative toolboxes last night... this may be a way to go for odds and ends.

Good stuff...
For an eyesore like that i would throw a cover over them to match the decor of the room

My grandmother is a hoarder beyond belief, but she hoarded in style. She had these lovely stands with full billowing tableclothes... and underneath was stacks of boxes. Peek under her throwrugs, and you'd find magazines from 1967.

Is there room to put some of those mesh shelving units in the closets? Also a trunk is good to use as a table but you can put stuff in it. And as someone suggested, plastic totes work nicely.

Our closets are so skinny! The one in our room is so skinny, the door couldn't be closed because the hangers were too wide(they're just standard sized hangers). We removed the door.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I'm going through my room yet again, which seems to accumulate all the junk and stuff that really has no permanent place to be.

I live in an old four square house. Two of the bedrooms have very tiny closets, other than that, there's no storage other than a shed that was added over the summer. The shed is a pain in the hindquarters to get to, and not really a place you'd store anything other than large items you only use on occasion(not the place for hammers, light bulbs, guitars, etc).

Have you come up with any creative ways of storing items in which they're still easily accessed?
Call Hillary Farr from " Love it or List it"....talk about an addictive show! I'm building a house right now across the road from an old camp I've lived in for 15 years. The camp has zero closets but 4 bedrooms so I made one room my "walk in closet" and storage for the extra junk I've so far refused to discard.

So the new house has tons of storage of course. But the best way to deal with junk and old clothes is to throw them away. Or give it away if you think anyone would want it.

Golden rule: if you haven't worn it or used it for a year, out the door it goes. It's tough but doable.:)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Call Hillary Farr from " Love it or List it"....talk about an addictive show! I'm building a house right now across the road from an old camp I've lived in for 15 years. The camp has zero closets but 4 bedrooms so I made one room my "walk in closet" and storage for the extra junk I've so far refused to discard.

So the new house has tons of storage of course. But the best way to deal with junk and old clothes is to throw them away. Or give it away if you think anyone would want it.

Golden rule: if you haven't worn it or used it for a year, out the door it goes. It's tough but doable.:)

I do love my house. Its near perfect, other than the lack of storage.

The biggest problems are tools, construction equipment/items, broken electronics, guitars, and chairs(yes, chairs). Toys and clothes are minor problems. Though there are 7 years between the oldest and middle, the oldest is small for his age, and the middle is large for his age, so we can hand most stuff down. Not as lucky between the middle and youngest, though... I'm not even going to attempt to hang onto it all for later. I usually drop off outgrown clothes at donation boxes.

Adult clothes... well, that's another story. Husband will not part with any of his clothes. None. Hell, he won't let me part with mine(I have some that don't fit well after the last child). I ended up packing mine into totes and putting them in the shed(the shed is perfect for that). I'm working on him to find a solution for his... At one point, he did cut the pictures off his old skating T-shirts and made a quilt of them(throwing the bulk of the shirt away, or using it for rags). I thought that was an awesome idea.

I hope you enjoy your new house!

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I do love my house. Its near perfect, other than the lack of storage.

The biggest problems are tools, construction equipment/items, broken electronics, guitars, and chairs(yes, chairs). Toys and clothes are minor problems. Though there are 7 years between the oldest and middle, the oldest is small for his age, and the middle is large for his age, so we can hand most stuff down. Not as lucky between the middle and youngest, though... I'm not even going to attempt to hang onto it all for later. I usually drop off outgrown clothes at donation boxes.

Adult clothes... well, that's another story. Husband will not part with any of his clothes. None. Hell, he won't let me part with mine(I have some that don't fit well after the last child). I ended up packing mine into totes and putting them in the shed(the shed is perfect for that). I'm working on him to find a solution for his... At one point, he did cut the pictures off his old skating T-shirts and made a quilt of them(throwing the bulk of the shirt away, or using it for rags). I thought that was an awesome idea.

I hope you enjoy your new house!
Aw, thanks. I'll enjoy everything about being warm and cozy. Yes, making fun things out of our favorite stuff is great art! I have a bunch of feathers I'm planning on attaching to various trees along my nature trail. You know, with yellow, red, black and white ribbons.

Good luck with your stuff. Maybe a reorganization of placement could help. Where do you live,

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Aw, thanks. I'll enjoy everything about being warm and cozy. Yes, making fun things out of our favorite stuff is great art! I have a bunch of feathers I'm planning on attaching to various trees along my nature trail. You know, with yellow, red, black and white ribbons.

Good luck with your stuff. Maybe a reorganization of placement could help. Where do you live,

That's really inspiring! I might make some art out of some of the stuff I run across, too. Been awhile since I've done that... my husband has managed to make some wall displays involving natural items in the past.

I am in Iowa(USA), in a metropolitan area.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
That's really inspiring! I might make some art out of some of the stuff I run across, too. Been awhile since I've done that... my husband has managed to make some wall displays involving natural items in the past.

I am in Iowa(USA), in a metropolitan area.
I like all of the farms along the highways in Iowa. I'm a bit scared of the area because there always seems to be tornado weather when I pass through.

Yes, let's all make art!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I like all of the farms along the highways in Iowa. I'm a bit scared of the area because there always seems to be tornado weather when I pass through.

Yes, let's all make art!

You must be going through a different part! The storms seem to split over my city, and part goes south and part goes north. Always real disappointing.

I have mixed feelings on the farmland. A farm is usually nice, but it nags at me that almost none of the corn you see is edible(its mostly used for ethanol, and another chunk is used for animal feed), and that out of the 50 states, Iowa is the most geographically altered. We should look more like this:
download (14).jpg

We were thawing a bit last week, but we're covered under snow again. I look forward to going out and finding stones and feathers and such again. :)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You must be going through a different part! The storms seem to split over my city, and part goes south and part goes north. Always real disappointing.

I have mixed feelings on the farmland. A farm is usually nice, but it nags at me that almost none of the corn you see is edible(its mostly used for ethanol, and another chunk is used for animal feed), and that out of the 50 states, Iowa is the most geographically altered. We should look more like this:
View attachment 60824

We were thawing a bit last week, but we're covered under snow again. I look forward to going out and finding stones and feathers and such again. :)
Reminds me of how sad it is to travel through the once beautiful grasslands of the great plains. Every time I go through over the years, the beautiful prairies and grasses have been replaced with fences, dusty, brown corn crops and now fracking stations.

At least we have memories.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Reminds me of how sad it is to travel through the once beautiful grasslands of the great plains. Every time I go through over the years, the beautiful prairies and grasses have been replaced with fences, dusty, brown corn crops and now fracking stations.

At least we have memories.

There are pieces of it here and there, but not much for rolling plains anymore.

Some farmers have committed pieces of land to letting prairie take over(either fully, or by growing the corn farther back from the perimeters. Some farmers, as they retire, are trying to return the land to its natural state(though they're getting roadblocked sometimes from the government).