• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studying religions

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have basic knowledge of various religions, but it's limited to what I've read from forums and wikipedia articles and other online sources. I've never really explored the depths of any religion but I'd like to start. Admittedly, between writing a large novel, going to the gym and keeping up with chores, work, life, etc. it's hard to motivate myself and I have limited time for study.

Some religions I've been interested in are (in this order) Taoism, Hinduism (Advaita Vedanta especially), and perhaps even Buddhism (I don't know exactly what sect, but something that relates to the nondualism philosophy - I presume that'd be Zen?).

My worldview is very inspired by Alan Watts, the Advaita concept of Brahman, the Taoist concept of Tao...

So, if anyone is a practitioner of any of these that I've mentioned, would you mind giving me advice on where to begin? I don't expect to become a monk or anything, or practice ritualistic prayers or mantras, I would just like to understand the principles enough to apply them to my way of life. Thank you!

PS: I'm horrible with Sanskirt vocabulary, which is why it's been very hard for me to do in depth research on Hinduism. It feels like answers to life's questions are written down in the Upanishads but in order to understand these answers you have to decode a complex language (it feels that way for me :D)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I believe reading the Tao Te Ching is a good place to start for Taoism. Also, look up some Tai Chi videos on YouTube. Do some beginner Tai Chi exercises. That’s how I started practicing Taoism.
Your energy and body will feel great after Tai Chi.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I have basic knowledge of various religions, but it's limited to what I've read from forums and wikipedia articles and other online sources. I've never really explored the depths of any religion but I'd like to start. Admittedly, between writing a large novel, going to the gym and keeping up with chores, work, life, etc. it's hard to motivate myself and I have limited time for study.

Some religions I've been interested in are (in this order) Taoism, Hinduism (Advaita Vedanta especially), and perhaps even Buddhism (I don't know exactly what sect, but something that relates to the nondualism philosophy - I presume that'd be Zen?).

My worldview is very inspired by Alan Watts, the Advaita concept of Brahman, the Taoist concept of Tao...

So, if anyone is a practitioner of any of these that I've mentioned, would you mind giving me advice on where to begin? I don't expect to become a monk or anything, or practice ritualistic prayers or mantras, I would just like to understand the principles enough to apply them to my way of life. Thank you!

PS: I'm horrible with Sanskirt vocabulary, which is why it's been very hard for me to do in depth research on Hinduism. It feels like answers to life's questions are written down in the Upanishads but in order to understand these answers you have to decode a complex language (it feels that way for me :D)

Nondual (and dual, and both, and neither!) would include zen.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for.....books?

For a straightforward intro to Buddhism I might suggest Turning the Wheel of Truth - Commentary on the Buddha's First Teaching. Ajahn Sucitto.

For an indepth look - In the Buddha's Words. Edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
Or online:
- Access to Insight

For the nondual thing - Between Heaven and Earth. Translation and Interpretation of the MMK. Michael Eido Luetchford.

Or if you want the full-on thing - the MMK (Nagarjuna).

Or the works of Dogen.

Final thought cos of your interest in Taoism:
The Tao of Zen. Ray Grigg.
(Zen is basically Buddhism passed through Taoism).

This is just from my limited experience, Buddhism is obviously a very broad church (hehe) and I'm just a lurker on the back row.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Alan Watts was invaluable and has affected my approach with the grand scheme of things.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Alan Watts was invaluable and has affected my approach with the grand scheme of things.
I read only one of his books a long time ago, very good. Advaita focus (non duality) , if I remember correctly

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me just say that Hinduism is so diverse that it's darn near impossible to even define. However, let me recommend reading the Gita with commentary as it's really a great book, imo.

Buddhism is also diverse, but still the teachings of Old Sid are paramount. Look up the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path as it is a very philosophical religion, although some question as to whether it is a religion at all.

Here's a good source: BuddhaNet - Worldwide Buddhist Information and Education Network

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Studying revealed religions and to find truth in them becomes easy with investigating by the method of "claims" and "reasons" given by its founder/s, one gets to know, please. Right?

Regards

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

I used to read Alan Watts but after a while I gave up thinking about it because it just didn't make sense to me. There is a pretty good book with informatiion regarding various religions called, "Religions of America," by Leo Rosten.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

So, if anyone is a practitioner of any of these that I've mentioned, would you mind giving me advice on where to begin? I don't expect to become a monk or anything, or practice ritualistic prayers or mantras, I would just like to understand the principles enough to apply them to my way of life. Thank you!I

If I thought a person's soul could transmigrate to higher or lower being/body, I might follow those teachings. Or Nirvana. I prefer the Bible's teaching, I was born on earth, I like God's creation on the earth, I am happy to understand what God is going to do to rid this earth of all forms of viciousness, I'm happy thinking that I can enjoy life without end on a beautiful earth one day, hopefully soon. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So, if anyone is a practitioner of any of these that I've mentioned, would you mind giving me advice on where to begin? I don't expect to become a monk or anything, or practice ritualistic prayers or mantras, I would just like to understand the principles enough to apply them to my way of life.
Advaita does not want you to become a monk or do mantras and prayers. Just abandon all prejudices and see the truth in this one sentence, "Sarvam Khalu idam Brahma' (All this here is Brahman - Mandukya Upanishad). And Brahman is not a God, it is the stuff that constitutes all things in the universe - humans, animals, vegetation and non-living objects.

If you can go through a hundred pages of this book, that will explain everything about Advaita in detail. You can download the book without any cost.
A History Of Indian Philosophy Vol.1 : Dasgupta, Surendranath : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive (Chapter X)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@The Sum of Awe , for the most part I would advise you to give some time to commentators and gauge to which degree you see wisdom in what they say.

Religion as I see it is above all a living activity, meant to learn and change as it expresses itself and fulfills its purpose.

In practice, quality transmission is at least as important as the sources themselves.