• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studying Mathew

Hello,
I'm Kevin, 69 yrs old, living in England. Finding my way back into faith, and having difficulty landing somewhere! However, I would like someone to help me study Mathew's Gospel. I've no idea how to go about this other than to start with The Sermon on the Mount. I've no theological training, my background is as a very much lapse Anglican. I've tried to enter the RC Church but my divorce/remarriage prevented that. At present I'm looking at Anglo-Catholicism.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Church of England and the Church of Rome share so many ideas and values.
The Anglo-Catholic Communion is evidence of it.

Lain

Hello,
I'm Kevin, 69 yrs old, living in England. Finding my way back into faith, and having difficulty landing somewhere! However, I would like someone to help me study Mathew's Gospel. I've no idea how to go about this other than to start with The Sermon on the Mount. I've no theological training, my background is as a very much lapse Anglican. I've tried to enter the RC Church but my divorce/remarriage prevented that. At present I'm looking at Anglo-Catholicism.
Thanks.

I am studying St. Matthew's Gospel and other Scriptures and here is how I go about it, perhaps the means and resources will help you also:

1) Read it through myself out loud (for everyone in the era the Scriptures were written in read out loud and not silently to themselves, the meaning is better caught in my experience when this is done) and listen to an audio Bible of it. Ignore as much as possible the chapter/verse divisions for they are artificial.

2) Read commentary on it from the Saints or other righteous men. If you become Anglo-Catholic or Roman Catholic you will see the importance of the Church Fathers who are considered divinely inspired. They are perhaps the greatest of all sources on learning what Sacred Scripture means. I'd recommend either St. Theophylact's Commentary (which is explicitly for beginners and is an easy and beautiful one, one voice speaks) or the Catena Aurea/Golden Chain which is a compilation of many Church Fathers organized by St. Thomas Aquinas, he puts all of their commentary into conversation as one so reading through it is like hearing conversation between some of the most righteous men of all time as they speak about Sacred Scripture.

3) Prayer before and after reading or study of commentaries on the Gospel. Here as follows is St. John Chrysostom's (one of the greatest Fathers) prayer before reading Sacred Scripture, the Our Father as taught in St. Matthew's Gospel by the Lord Jesus also is good (in fact it is perfect by definition):

"O Lord Jesus Christ, open You the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Your Word and understand and do Your Will, for I am a sojourner upon the Earth. Hide not Your Commandments from me, but open my eyes, that I may perceive the wonders of Your Law. Speak to me the hidden and secret things of Your Wisdom. On You do I set my hope, O my God, that You shall enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Your knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the Saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For You are the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from You comes every good deed and every gift. Amen."

God bless you brother.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,
Thanks.
That actually is more of a controversial question than you might think. I suggest asking for either an Anglican or a Catholic opinion about that, since it is what you are interested in. Every drop of Matthew is packed with references to other scripture. Literally everything in it is alluding to something else at all times. Every story, every question, every answer and every image. They all point outwards and not back towards Matthew such that it doesn't explain itself. Mathew anticipates that you have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the scripture that comes before it. It also has some unusual features like magic numbers 14 and 42, and its difficult to find any reason for them in the text. Many people read Matthew only as a story or else as a strictly historical account and will overlook things like this as trifles to be considered later.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hello,
Thanks.
You might try reading a chapter (why not start at the beginning) and read a commentary verse by verse... Maybe John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary ?

Also, try reading it side by side with another translation (I like Phillips, The Message, and NLT) - they are all available for free on the internet. Biblestudytools.com offer multiple comparisons by verse.

Just remember you don't have to understand it all on the first go-round. It is like building a house, you start with the foundation, then walls, then roof etc.

Read it the first time and the Holy Spirit will give one insight and then another the next time around

Have a great journey

pearl

You might try reading about Matthew's Gospel before reading for itself. Its difficult for us here in the 21st cent to grasp the mindset of those of the first century considering time and culture but it is these who penned the Gospels.
There were no Christians in the time of Jesus, only the Jews. Some Jewish background might be helpful.

Hidden Hebrew in the Gospels | immanuEL (etrfi.info)

I'd like to thank all those above who have replied to my post. There is so much information for me to consider, thank you. I know things can be viewed at a variety of levels and I get a sense of just how deep that can be by the replies given. I have much to do! For now, a simple reading of the gospel and a straightforward commentary will be my approach.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I'd like to thank all those above who have replied to my post. There is so much information for me to consider, thank you. I know things can be viewed at a variety of levels and I get a sense of just how deep that can be by the replies given. I have much to do! For now, a simple reading of the gospel and a straightforward commentary will be my approach.

Based on having read Matthew in all of the different ways written about above...

Commentaries, prayer, hearing it read aloud (and reading it aloud myself), looking up every cross reference (and from more than one listing of cross references), getting extensive information from study guides and about the cultural situations and context.

All of those. (and more than just a little, but fully through with all of those)

None of them are nearly as important as just listening.

To listen well, put aside the ideas and commentaries and issues and doctrines, and so on, every last way of distraction, from a - z, and just purely listen, trying to hear all that is being said.

It will be fine to look at commentaries and such (I've read/heard from at least a dozen extensively), but only look to those as just opinions and only after listening to hear the real messages.

Last edited:
Based on having read Matthew in all of the different ways written about above...

Commentaries, prayer, hearing it read aloud (and reading it aloud myself), looking up every cross reference (and from more than one listing of cross references), getting extensive information from study guides and about the cultural situations and context.

All of those. (and more than just a little, but fully through with all of those)

None of them are nearly as important as just listening.

To listen well, put aside the ideas and commentaries and issues and doctrines, and so on, every last way of distraction, from a - z, and just purely listen, trying to hear all that is being said.

It will be fine to look at commentaries and such (I've read/heard from at least a dozen extensively), but only look to those as just opinions and only after listening to hear the real messages.
Thanks for that. For me, listening to the words of biblical texts as well as reading directly, cause difficulties. I'll probably try my tried and trusted method and then once I understand the broad meaning, at that point I can sit back and listen.

halbhh

Thanks for that. For me, listening to the words of biblical texts as well as reading directly, cause difficulties. I'll probably try my tried and trusted method and then once I understand the broad meaning, at that point I can sit back and listen.
:) heh, my wording didn't say what I meant.

By 'listening' I did not mean audio or spoken words aloud.

I meant as I read silently, I don't think about doctrine, ideas, arguments from the past, theories, etc..... I don't let all those other voices talk over the text.

I silence all of that mental noise, and distractions. For a while.

So, instead of listening to even a better commentary like Ellicott or whomever, someone's arguments, etc. -- I just silence those voices, and my own.

"Ears that hear" is the wording in the gospels about this.

"Whoever has ears, let them hear." -- Christ in Matthew 11:15 He who has ears, let him hear.

Paraphrase: Anyone willing to be humble and hear what I'm saying, that is who my words are for, those that can 'hear'.

While many will instead just think only their own stuff, other stuff -- their own theories/preconceptions, whatever -- some will actually listen to Him, and then He will teach them new things, even if they have already read the text before many times.

Last edited:

halbhh

Hello, this is such a great topic, and I've tried so many ways, and so some of ya'll may also be interested in what I've found over much time and trying many ways of reading/studying scripture, things you all have pointed out, helpful things, and one more thing so helpful to add.

I've tried extensively (fully through many books) reading commentaries, prayer for understanding, hearing it read aloud (and reading it aloud myself), looking up every cross reference (and from more than one listing of cross references), getting extensive information from study guides and about the cultural situations and context. ...

All of those. (and more than just a little, but fully through many books, all the gospels and most epistles and books like Isaiah also, with all of those)

None of them have been as helpful in the end for my learning as truly listening. (in one's mind, being silent and trying to hear what the words are saying)

To listen well, I needed to put aside the ideas and commentaries and issues and doctrines, and so on, every last way of distraction, from a - z, and just purely listen, trying to hear all that is being said.

So, while I still continue to use commentaries and cross references when in bible study groups, and at times alone, and listening to others read and more...when I read alone the main way I need to read is: I don't think about doctrine, ideas, arguments from the past, theories, etc..... I don't let all those other voices speak up, over the text.

I silence all of those other voices. For a while.

And my own voice also. I also silence me, in addition to all the other viewpoints....

"Ears that hear" is the wording in the gospels about this.

"Whoever has ears, let them hear." -- Christ in Matthew 11:15 He who has ears, let him hear.

Paraphrase: Those that will be humble and truly listen and hear, that is who He is speaking to and wants from us.

You might try reading about Matthew's Gospel before reading for itself. Its difficult for us here in the 21st cent to grasp the mindset of those of the first century considering time and culture but it is these who penned the Gospels.
There were no Christians in the time of Jesus, only the Jews. Some Jewish background might be helpful.

Hidden Hebrew in the Gospels | immanuEL (etrfi.info)

You might try reading a chapter (why not start at the beginning) and read a commentary verse by verse... Maybe John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary ?

Also, try reading it side by side with another translation (I like Phillips, The Message, and NLT) - they are all available for free on the internet. Biblestudytools.com offer multiple comparisons by verse.

Just remember you don't have to understand it all on the first go-round. It is like building a house, you start with the foundation, then walls, then roof etc.

Read it the first time and the Holy Spirit will give one insight and then another the next time around

Have a great journey

That actually is more of a controversial question than you might think. I suggest asking for either an Anglican or a Catholic opinion about that, since it is what you are interested in. Every drop of Matthew is packed with references to other scripture. Literally everything in it is alluding to something else at all times. Every story, every question, every answer and every image. They all point outwards and not back towards Matthew such that it doesn't explain itself. Mathew anticipates that you have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the scripture that comes before it. It also has some unusual features like magic numbers 14 and 42, and its difficult to find any reason for them in the text. Many people read Matthew only as a story or else as a strictly historical account and will overlook things like this as trifles to be considered later.

I am studying St. Matthew's Gospel and other Scriptures and here is how I go about it, perhaps the means and resources will help you also:

1) Read it through myself out loud (for everyone in the era the Scriptures were written in read out loud and not silently to themselves, the meaning is better caught in my experience when this is done) and listen to an audio Bible of it. Ignore as much as possible the chapter/verse divisions for they are artificial.

2) Read commentary on it from the Saints or other righteous men. If you become Anglo-Catholic or Roman Catholic you will see the importance of the Church Fathers who are considered divinely inspired. They are perhaps the greatest of all sources on learning what Sacred Scripture means. I'd recommend either St. Theophylact's Commentary (which is explicitly for beginners and is an easy and beautiful one, one voice speaks) or the Catena Aurea/Golden Chain which is a compilation of many Church Fathers organized by St. Thomas Aquinas, he puts all of their commentary into conversation as one so reading through it is like hearing conversation between some of the most righteous men of all time as they speak about Sacred Scripture.

3) Prayer before and after reading or study of commentaries on the Gospel. Here as follows is St. John Chrysostom's (one of the greatest Fathers) prayer before reading Sacred Scripture, the Our Father as taught in St. Matthew's Gospel by the Lord Jesus also is good (in fact it is perfect by definition):

"O Lord Jesus Christ, open You the eyes of my heart, that I may hear Your Word and understand and do Your Will, for I am a sojourner upon the Earth. Hide not Your Commandments from me, but open my eyes, that I may perceive the wonders of Your Law. Speak to me the hidden and secret things of Your Wisdom. On You do I set my hope, O my God, that You shall enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of Your knowledge, not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them; that in reading the lives and sayings of the Saints I may not sin, but that such may serve for my restoration, enlightenment and sanctification, for the salvation of my soul, and the inheritance of life everlasting. For You are the enlightenment of those who lie in darkness, and from You comes every good deed and every gift. Amen."

God bless you brother.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, while I still continue to use commentaries and cross references when in bible study groups, and at times alone, and listening to others read and more...when I read alone the main way I need to read is: I don't think about doctrine, ideas, arguments from the past, theories, etc..... I don't let all those other voices speak up, over the text.

You are o corrects. Nothing impacts more than to listen and hear what is being said to you.

Checking up on the commentary is just to double check you didn't hear a wrong voice. There should be some continuity in it.

pearl

None of them have been as helpful in the end for my learning as truly listening. (in one's mind, being silent and trying to hear what the words are saying)

Absolutely! As Catholics one of the ways of 'listening' is the practice of
Lectio Divina, a form of contemplation on Scripture, placing oneself within Scripture, a way of listening to the texts of scripture as if we were in conversation with Christ and he were suggesting the topics of conversation.