• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studying Christianity!

I think I am going to begin studying about Christianity.

Since Easter, I have been journeying into Christianity. For some more private reasons, I can no longer go into the areas of worship of my old religion, and I need to have a fresh start.

(Certainly, trigger-moments of sadness is just not healthy, and moving on is something I feel like I need to do. It is certainly not worth an old congregation if its association harbours thoughts of conflict and tears.)

I am not sure what I am these days, whether I am a Hindu or a Christian, or both, or neither. So I am taking some time to study them both. I have begun reading Christian literature since this Easter, and I hope to be more informed about my spiritual journey in the coming months!

At the moment, I am pondering with:

a) Anglicanism (Anglican Church of Canada)

b) United Church (United Church of Canada)

c) Unitarian Universalism (Canadian Unitarian Council)

d) Vaishnavism (personal faith, and my present beliefs - unfortunately no other temple nearby!)

Quakerism and Unitarian Christianity are also of present interest for me, and I certainly look forward to studying about Christianity beyond it's theological strictures, such as a 'Christianity without the Bible' for example!

Treks

I wish you all the best in your explorations. May whatever higher power is out there guide you to your right path. <3

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Quakerism and Unitarian Christianity are also of present interest for me, and I certainly look forward to studying about Christianity beyond it's theological strictures, such as a 'Christianity without the Bible' for example!

Then Quakerism + Jesuism sounds like the ticket. Were I to return to Christianity, or incorporate it, that would be the route. The Jefferson Bible is, imo, central to Jesuism.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Since Easter, I have been journeying into Christianity. For some more private reasons, I can no longer go into the areas of worship of my old religion, and I need to have a fresh start.

(Certainly, trigger-moments of sadness is just not healthy, and moving on is something I feel like I need to do. It is certainly not worth an old congregation if its association harbours thoughts of conflict and tears.)

I am not sure what I am these days, whether I am a Hindu or a Christian, or both, or neither. So I am taking some time to study them both. I have begun reading Christian literature since this Easter, and I hope to be more informed about my spiritual journey in the coming months!

d) Vaishnavism (personal faith, and my present beliefs - unfortunately no other temple nearby!)

Good luck! May I suggest that the best way to study Christianity is by reading the Gospels or have you already read them? :)

Then Quakerism + Jesuism sounds like the ticket. Were I to return to Christianity, or incorporate it, that would be the route. The Jefferson Bible is, imo, central to Jesuism.

Because of my familiarity with the Bible itself, my goal for this new year is actually to learn and read the New Testament Apocrypha, and study the words attributed to Christ outside Biblical tradition.

The Jefferson Bible is great though; a definite product of his own time, and Jefferson definitely loved Christ, but in his full humanity. :)

Because early Christianity was essentially without any official canon, I do not want to restrict myself to just the Bible. But finding a community? That will be a toughie. We have many welcoming churches here in my locality though!

Good luck! May I suggest that the best way to study Christianity is by reading the Gospels or have you already read them? :)

I've read them many many years ago! It's been such a long time. I'm excited to read them again! I think I'll start with the Gospel of John.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Easter 2007 was around the time I had an awakening, or reawakening as it were, with Christianity.
It was how I was raised, but when I had questions about meditation I went East...
and basically stayed there.

Since that time reading Mystic/Contemplative literature has given me a language I can access.
That would be my first recommendation.

In 2007 I'd just finished reading "The Last Temptation of Christ", and for some reason,
it opened my head up ,in a way I can't expressed, to reading with more allegorical eyes.

Without getting too far into it, when I set Christianity on the back-burner I also stopped researching it,
and giving it the same wonder of discovery I was giving Eastern paths like Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism.

It was actually around this time that I 'found' Sufism and wondered why Christianity didn't have this sort of language... heh....

Funny how life works.

Several years later I found myself volunteering in a Christian drop in centre
And then at a retreat at the diocesan centre, where I found a book on Mysticism.
My life was forever changed.
I found a link between where I found my wings and my roots, where neuropathically I am rooted.

Around that time, a retired Anglican priest, who volunteered with me, invited my to his church.
After some long talks, I thought I could probably try it out.
My Friend valued many of the same practices as I, including retreats, vegetarianism and meditation.

I went and the rest is history.

I grew up a Methodist, so I've enjoyed reading about the United Church of Canada.
They seem like a solidly liberal group, but is definitely Protestant Church format.

I went to a UU church for many years, and loved it as you know.
And they were intimately tied to the Friends in the area and I was able to experience them as well.
Two great groups of people.

I was very surprised to feel comfortable in a Christian Church again, and I thank the ACC for that experience,
and the growing closer that has happened during that time.
Growing closer to?..... Roots and being able to express my experience with the Divine in a common Cultural tradition.

The creeds aren't my favourite part and this was a portion of the conversation I had in 2010 with my friend at the drop in centre.

Mysticism has helped me see the words as a threshold to a much larger room,
where the meaning can take form and fly.

At my core I'm a Unitarian and Universalist....
I believe that there is One Source that is in us all.
That we uniquely experience it.
And that we universally have a chance to connect with and experience meaning in our life.

The Trinity strike me as a very Western-Logical way to express the Inexpressible.
Sort of like Hinduism, as I understand/experience it.
Different faces and forms that ultimately bring us back to the One Source.

I'll be very interested to talk with you over your studies.
Please stay in touch.
I have a lot more to say but will close with a few recommendations.

John Shelby Spong has writings that take Christianity into new space, but maybe old space as well. :)
Karen Armstrong's 'The Bible: A Biography' was a great read for the history in the Book.

But short and concise... a book that has changed my life most recently:
'The Way of a Pilgrim'
I implore you to read this before you start your search. :namaste

:hug:
-SageTree

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Gospel of Thomas is said to one of the more esoteric of the non-canon books . I'm waiting to get a copy, then maybe the other gnostic texts. They are said to be much more esoteric and mystical than the canonical books.

dsaly1969

Hmmm... if you have a Unity Church or a Center for Spiritual Living near you, you might consider seeing if one of those would be a good fit. They would be good place to integrate all of your diverse interests (such as Gaudiya Vaishnavism and Christianity). Many of the people I know who used to be involved with ISKCON started attending a local Unity Church and give workshops on the Gita and principles of bhakti yoga (and draw parallels to the teachings of Jesus).

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

have you considered studying the bible? Is you ever want to, there is a very good book
'What Does The Bible Really Teach' which can help you.

SageTree,

Thank you for the recommendations, hun! I've read Bishop Spong's one book, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" and I was absolutely amazed. I too believe in the oneness of God, the great Jehovah, and that through the narrative of Christ's death and resurrection, ALL of creation is reconciled to the bosom of the Father! The Trinity is something I struggle with, but taken with the eye of spiritual vision, it becomes a teaching of God's panentheistic nature.

I also struggle with the Creeds; Athanasius seemed like a nasty person to burn Writings that were probably dear to many Christians. I am now hoping to revel in some of the more Gnostic and alternative Christian Scriptures out there, for they are alternative tellings of Christ, and written to inspire the hearts of many.

I have yet to read Karen Armstrong's literature on Christian subjects. I am more than willing to read anything of her's!

Thank you for your encouragement and support. I hope and pray that perhaps I may choose a congregation that suits me well, and work my way into renewing my commitment at Eastertide.

Many blessings!

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the communion of the Holy Spirit
be with all of you.
"

-- 2 Corinthians 13:14

have you considered studying the bible? Is you ever want to, there is a very good book
'What Does The Bible Really Teach' which can help you.

I'm studying the Bible right now! I'm really digging 3 and 4 Esdras, and as well as 4 Maccabees. I have the New Revised Standard Bible, since I got many recommendations for it.

Can I get that book at Chapters? :D

God bless!

The Gospel of Thomas is said to one of the more esoteric of the non-canon books . I'm waiting to get a copy, then maybe the other gnostic texts. They are said to be much more esoteric and mystical than the canonical books.

You can read them online for free, or try borrowing from your local library!

My favourite verse: "Jesus said: I am the light that is above them all. I am the all; the all came forth from me, and the all attained to me. Cleave a piece of wood; I am there. Raise up a stone, and you will find me there." (saying 77, the Gospel of Thomas)

Hmmm... if you have a Unity Church or a Center for Spiritual Living near you, you might consider seeing if one of those would be a good fit. They would be good place to integrate all of your diverse interests (such as Gaudiya Vaishnavism and Christianity). Many of the people I know who used to be involved with ISKCON started attending a local Unity Church and give workshops on the Gita and principles of bhakti yoga (and draw parallels to the teachings of Jesus).

I actually have read a few Unity publications, and still am interested in subscribing to their Daily Word books! However, I am pretty sceptical about health, sickness and that somehow through affirmations one can heal the physical self. However, I do believe in positive affirmations and the metaphysical understandings of the Bible that Unity has to offer.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm studying the Bible right now! I'm really digging 3 and 4 Esdras, and as well as 4 Maccabees. I have the New Revised Standard Bible, since I got many recommendations for it.

Can I get that book at Chapters? :D

God bless!

you can download it for free from our website... there are some other publications on this page which you may find helpful too... 'Come be my follower' is a fascinating look at the ministry and message of Jesus.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Peace and blessings be with you along the road.
And keep in touch, I don't mind walking some stretches of road,
in coversation over these things, where I can be of use.

:namaste

SageTree,

Thank you for the recommendations, hun! I've read Bishop Spong's one book, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" and I was absolutely amazed. I too believe in the oneness of God, the great Jehovah, and that through the narrative of Christ's death and resurrection, ALL of creation is reconciled to the bosom of the Father! The Trinity is something I struggle with, but taken with the eye of spiritual vision, it becomes a teaching of God's panentheistic nature.

I also struggle with the Creeds; Athanasius seemed like a nasty person to burn Writings that were probably dear to many Christians. I am now hoping to revel in some of the more Gnostic and alternative Christian Scriptures out there, for they are alternative tellings of Christ, and written to inspire the hearts of many.

I have yet to read Karen Armstrong's literature on Christian subjects. I am more than willing to read anything of her's!

Thank you for your encouragement and support. I hope and pray that perhaps I may choose a congregation that suits me well, and work my way into renewing my commitment at Eastertide.

Many blessings!

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the communion of the Holy Spirit
be with all of you."

-- 2 Corinthians 13:14

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You can read them online for free, or try borrowing from your local library!

My favourite verse: "Jesus said: I am the light that is above them all. I am the all; the all came forth from me, and the all attained to me. Cleave a piece of wood; I am there. Raise up a stone, and you will find me there." (saying 77, the Gospel of Thomas)

Thanks, I didn't think to look on-line. I forgot we have a library. :D

"Cleave a piece of wood; I am there. Raise up a stone, and you will find me there" sounds like what Prahlada said to Hiranyakashipu: Vishnu is everywhere. :)

dsaly1969

I actually have read a few Unity publications, and still am interested in subscribing to their Daily Word books! However, I am pretty sceptical about health, sickness and that somehow through affirmations one can heal the physical self. However, I do believe in positive affirmations and the metaphysical understandings of the Bible that Unity has to offer.

Many of us who attend Unity don't focus much on the "health and wealth" claims and instead focus on the universal aspects of spirituality which is increasingly becoming a primary focus. While I do think thoughts and beliefs do play some part in influencing life circumstances, I give them a secondary focus in importance.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I like The Gospel of Thomas. It has Jesus teachings without the stories of His life. I wonder why it wasn't canonized.