• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study Says All Stem Cell Lines Tainted

Pah

Uber all member
January 24, 2005
Study Says All Stem Cell Lines Tainted
By Karen Kaplan, Times Staff Writer

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-sci-stemcells24jan24.story]Complete article[/url
All human embryonic stem cell lines approved for use in federally funded research are contaminated with a foreign molecule from mice that may make them risky for use in medical therapies, according to a study released Sunday.

Researchers at UC San Diego and the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla report that if the stem cells are transplanted into people, the cells could provoke an immune system attack that would wipe out their ability to deliver cures for diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and diabetes.

The finding is a setback to the Bush administration's controversial policy that provides federal funding only for research using embryonic stem cell lines that were created before August 2001. Evidence that all such lines are contaminated supports long-standing concerns among researchers that the lines eligible for federal money are insufficient to propel research forward.

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
They knew this a long time ago! It's Bush's way of saying "Let them eat cake".
I was thinking that and also thought I would not be able to substantiate it. I'm really glad you said it :jam: if HelpMe asks :biglaugh: