• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study of Matthew

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
1/ What laws of the Tanakh are still relevant for Christians?
That's sortofa tough one as there are different takes on this even within Christianity. To me, it's basically the "law of love", namely we should act out of respect for not only all people but also all of Creation. IOW, "Do unto others..." matched with "Do no harm...". This is actually quite similar to Gandhi's approach as well.

2/ As Christians, in what manner should we conduct ourselves amidst the Jewish people?
As brothers and sisters in God, imo. Thank God there's been much improvement between the Jewish and Christian communities on this.

3/ Does the remnant refer to the Jewish people or something else?
It refers to the Jewish remnant returning from exile from Babylon, but it can have the symbolic message of returning to believing in and the obeying of God.

4/ What do these verses from Matthew 5:29-30 mean?
Hyperbole, imo, namely to try and eliminate that which may cause our downfall, such as materialism, envy, self-centeredness, etc.

5/ Is Jesus changing Mosaic law with Matthew 5:31-32? What authority does He have to do this?
The view is that it was not changed by Jesus and the Church but synthesized into the "law of love". This is not all that different from Hillel's classic statement about what Torah's mainly about, whereas he said "Do not do that which you do not want done unto yourself". However, Jesus' approach was more radical as Hillel still felt that the 613 Commandments must still be followed, but with some flexibility allowed.

Good questions, and please note that my responses above are opinions, not answers.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
[OK, the collection plate will now be passed around, so please be very generous :)]

Your responses are welcome, so please contribute.
I was going to give you $100 but you kept talking. After 3 paragraphs you were down to a $10 offering. By the time you finished, I took $10 out of the offering plate. :D (An old joke but VERY appropriate! :D

What a different tone that was commonly heard back then in eretz Israel whereas it was more the wealthy and those in higher positions in society that were viewed as being more blessed by God. We are to be "the church of the poor", not the health & wealth "gospel" of hedonism, materialism, and pride. It's "us" not just "me".

I love this.

The part that used to be more confusing to me was how could Jesus say that he didn't come to abolish the Law and yet the Church began to walk away from the get-go, even with the apostles themselves? It wasn't until much later that I got it straight (or think I do) that what Jesus was doing was basically streamlining (simplifying) the Law, much like telling your teenage kids to "Clean up the room!", and undoubtedly they would do that immediately, right? :rolleyes: IOW, it's the "law of love" from God and all that He preached.

I have a different take (I will comment on this through Chapter 5 in another post). Yes, I agree that he simplified but I think it goes a step further (as explained by the famous/infamous Paul). One still needs the law to know what sin is for how does one know he need forgiveness if there isn't a law? So the law is the teacher and Jesus is the forgiver and now we live with the Royal Law of Love where mercy rejoices over judgments (James).

He also covers "heaven" and "hell", neither of which show up directly at least in the Tanakh. IMO, I'm not sure either exists, plus I'm not sure if I'd even want to be in heaven if both @KenS and @sealchan were to be there. :p

I have an inside scoop... @sealchan is on one side of your house and I'm on the other.... FOREVER! :)

The issues of anger and lust I tend to view in more an indirect way. If you get angry because I just purposely stomped on your foot, or if I look at an attractive women and drool a bit (at my age, that happens anyway), I don't think this is what Jesus was referring to because these simply are "built in reactions since we're humans and I do believe God made us that way. Instead, I think it's more likely a prolonging of such emotions-- "attachments" as the Buddhists call them. IOW, "Get over it!".

To be addressed in my next post.

Finally, the one thing I saved for last is, I believe, terribly important, and that is an overview of what Jesus was saying, namely that Christianity is a lifestyle, not just a set of beliefs. It's a call to action-- not a call to sit back in a rocking chair with p.c. thoughts running through our heads.

It's doing, not just thinking, imo. It's what can I do to try and leave this place at least a bit better then it was before I was born. It's which "tools" do I want my kids and grandkids to have so they're not just spectators but are part of the solution. It's standing up for what we know is right and moral, thus not necessarily expedient nor popular. It's commitment.

This is SOOO good. A friend came up to me after the Sunday service and said he heard Mother Theresa say "Do you want to change the world? Go home and love your family!". I thought it was an excellent statement.

It is a "lifestyle". I think a problem can arise when we try to force people to "live the lifestyle" the moment one makes a commitment and forget that one grows into maturity and it is a journey. That's when we get back to The Law at the expense of grace. Not everyone has lived so long as Metis to be as perfect as he is. :D

Kenny

Premium Member
When the Buddha achieved enlightenment after resisting temptation he resolved to teach what he had learned.

In a manner similar to the four noble truths and the eightfold path we have the Beatitudes. They are a concise list of inner psychological attitudes one must cultivate in order to achieve the kingdom of heaven. Your suffering becomes your credit.

Now I noticed that at the end of Chapter Four Jesus is out healing people and the types of maladies which are specified all seem to have to do with the nervous system.

It may be that the central revelation of Jesus is that the power of God to transform your life is available as the right effort made in ones own psychology. Taking care of inner world will resolve ones outer world. If not then your suffering is to your credit.

When we turn to look within we see a world of characters which are truly different voices within us. It is these voices that we should cultivate as a gardener. It is not so much an external Satan or God but the voices within us that must be heeded and confronted. These are the determiners of ones actions. Your inner enemies are a part of YOU, so cast them out or confront them or listen and love them as you would yourself.

Jesus is bringing a new level of self consciousness to the too much politicized and legalistic religion of his time.

I'm not sure that one can make a global statement about the nervous system with "24 those suffering with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, paralytics; and He healed them.." The first part was "various diseases" and it is demonstrated throughout Matthew.

But it would include them.

Certainly I believe you have a valid point in that "Jesus is that the power of God to transform your life".

Kenny

Premium Member
The Sermon on the Mount; The Beatitudes
1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12 "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

I would like to offer a viewpoint here, a viewpoint of spiritual growth and process. A journey, so to speak. (With obvious preaching liberties :) )

Godward.

Poor in spirit: I believe one can't really grow spiritually until one recognizes that one is "poor" in spirit. Like Jesus said, "Only the sick need a doctor". If one doesn't recognize that they are sick (self-righteous), why would one want to acknowledge God? I remember when I share Jesus with a man and a woman at the beach and his response was "For me to want Jesus, I would have to see a need for him. I'm happy with my life the way it is at". Couldn't argue the point and we moved on. But when one recognizes that one needs a doctor "theirs is the kingdom of heaven" - A different way of living for every kingdom has its own laws.

Those who mourn: The next step in growth. Recognizing the need to change is one thing, repentance (mourning to to point of deciding to change) is a "next step". IMV. When one mourns, we are comforted by forgiveness and grace helps us move forward into change.

Blessed are the gentle (meek). Teachable and humble. The next step should be a more gentle attitude towards others as one grows in their "next step" in growth. They inherit the blessing of God in this earth. Every promise is contingent on a change in lifestyle.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: One's rate of change is equal to one's hunger. I really understand this as my wife and I were so hungry we practically breathed and drank from the livings waters 24/7. We were satisfied -- our lives were satisfied -- God satisfied.

Manward:

Blessed are the merciful: Because of all that God has done, we become merciful to others. We received mercy we now give mercy. (My wife and I both had to forgive a bunch of people)

Blessed are the pure in heart: When one's heart is pure towards man (because of God) we not only see God in others but we see God working through us towards others and see God's power working. (Our dads both received Jesus as their Messiah as well as extended family because of what God had done in our lives)

Blessed are the peacemakers: Because now Jesus has become our peace, we become peacemakers in the lives of fellow man. This is a manifestation of being "sons of God".

The last two are the realities of life. When you act like Jesus and look like Jesus, you will be persecuted. Standing up for what is right will bring a quick response from those who love evil. The servant is not greater than the master.

Just my musings.

Kenny

Premium Member
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Personal Musings:

I think that these statements deal more with salvation as it is summarized in the last statement: "48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

WHAAAAAAT? Be perfect like the Father is perfect?

It would appear that the Pharisees thought salvation was achieved by completing the law. BUT, that depends on who one views the law especially when you create your own viewpoints and loopholes... so let me just take one:

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

I see the dichotomy between God's Holiness and man's perception of what is holy. So man created their own interpretation of God's holiness in that adultery was the actually act.

Jesus is setting the God standard of what God's Holiness really is... that is "If you just look and lust" you are an adulterer. It is easy to understand the correct viewpoint because, can you imagine God, pure unadulterated life and light, having a shadow of lust thinking?

So as I read through God's Holiness standard versus man's, I come to the conclusion "OH MY GOD, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO, I'M SUCH A MESS!" Then Jesus smiles and says, "I just wanted you to see that you are poor in spirit, and now that you know it, you are blessed because you now can inherit the Kingdom of Heaven!

What do you think?

Last edited:

sealchan

I'm not sure that one can make a global statement about the nervous system with "24 those suffering with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, paralytics; and He healed them.." The first part was "various diseases" and it is demonstrated throughout Matthew.

But it would include them.

Certainly I believe you have a valid point in that "Jesus is that the power of God to transform your life".

I concede that the text does say "various diseases" but I still find it noteworthy that everything listed after that seems neurological. I also know that later in the gospel there will be non-neurological healings, but at my present level of understanding I am not clear between the gospels and so I will be looking to see how Matthew specifically describes Jesus' healings...and eventually compare that account with the other godpels.

metis

I have to bug out early so I'll return tomorrow and read the above comments more thoroughly.

The one thing I'm very disappointed in, however, is the fact that I've been doing the leaves outside for several hours today, my back feels like I've been hit by a Mack Truck, and neither of you showed up to help poor ol-- er, I mean mature-- me. :(

metis

One still needs the law to know what sin is for how does one know he need forgiveness if there isn't a law?
Exactly! And I mentioned the same when we discussed it at church.

I have an inside scoop... @sealchan is on one side of your house and I'm on the other.... FOREVER! :)
Ah, a rose between two thorns.

This is SOOO good. A friend came up to me after the Sunday service and said he heard Mother Theresa say "Do you want to change the world? Go home and love your family!". I thought it was an excellent statement.
Beautiful!

About 20 years ago, one of my Indian students invited my wife and I to attend her church whereas there were three nuns there from Mother Theresa's place in India, and that was their main thrust as well.

Not everyone has lived so long as Metis to be as perfect as he is. :D
Well, my wife says I'm "perfect" too, but she uses that as an adjective in front of a noun that I won't post here. :(

metis

The Sermon on the Mount; The Beatitudes
1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12 "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

I would like to offer a viewpoint here, a viewpoint of spiritual growth and process. A journey, so to speak. (With obvious preaching liberties :) )

Godward.

Poor in spirit: I believe one can't really grow spiritually until one recognizes that one is "poor" in spirit. Like Jesus said, "Only the sick need a doctor". If one doesn't recognize that they are sick (self-righteous), why would one want to acknowledge God? I remember when I share Jesus with a man and a woman at the beach and his response was "For me to want Jesus, I would have to see a need for him. I'm happy with my life the way it is at". Couldn't argue the point and we moved on. But when one recognizes that one needs a doctor "theirs is the kingdom of heaven" - A different way of living for every kingdom has its own laws.

Those who mourn: The next step in growth. Recognizing the need to change is one thing, repentance (mourning to to point of deciding to change) is a "next step". IMV. When one mourns, we are comforted by forgiveness and grace helps us move forward into change.

Blessed are the gentle (meek). Teachable and humble. The next step should be a more gentle attitude towards others as one grows in their "next step" in growth. They inherit the blessing of God in this earth. Every promise is contingent on a change in lifestyle.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: One's rate of change is equal to one's hunger. I really understand this as my wife and I were so hungry we practically breathed and drank from the livings waters 24/7. We were satisfied -- our lives were satisfied -- God satisfied.

Manward:

Blessed are the merciful: Because of all that God has done, we become merciful to others. We received mercy we now give mercy. (My wife and I both had to forgive a bunch of people)

Blessed are the pure in heart: When one's heart is pure towards man (because of God) we not only see God in others but we see God working through us towards others and see God's power working. (Our dads both received Jesus as their Messiah as well as extended family because of what God had done in our lives)

Blessed are the peacemakers: Because now Jesus has become our peace, we become peacemakers in the lives of fellow man. This is a manifestation of being "sons of God".

The last two are the realities of life. When you act like Jesus and look like Jesus, you will be persecuted. Standing up for what is right will bring a quick response from those who love evil. The servant is not greater than the master.

Just my musings.
Very nice!

metis

I think that these statements deal more with salvation as it is summarized in the last statement: "48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

WHAAAAAAT? Be perfect like the Father is perfect?
I do believe this is likely an effect of using the Greek as the use of exaggerated dichotomy is rampant and not to be taken as literal, and one especially sees it in Paul's writings.

This Greek influence was so pervasive in eretz Israel that when the Jewish canon was decided upon, they wouldn't accept any books written after about three centuries previous to when Jesus lived because of it.

This actually was a fairly common belief amongst Jewish scholars even before Jesus' time. Even though a "get" (bill of divorce) was allowed under Jewish Law, it was highly frowned upon and viewed as being a highly reluctant last resort. Sometimes rabbis wouldn't even recognize it and threatened the husband with excommunication if they felt it wasn't warranted.
Then Jesus smiles and says, "I just wanted you to see that you are poor in spirit, and now that you know it, you are blessed because you now can inherit the Kingdom of Heaven!

What do you think?
I'm not sure if there is a heaven, nor do I assume that if there is that I would qualify. I figure I'll just try to do the best that I can when I'm alive and then let the Boss decide such matters.

metis

I concede that the text does say "various diseases" but I still find it noteworthy that everything listed after that seems neurological. I also know that later in the gospel there will be non-neurological healings, but at my present level of understanding I am not clear between the gospels and so I will be looking to see how Matthew specifically describes Jesus' healings...and eventually compare that account with the other godpels.
Or were they "faith healings", ala psychosomatic?

Personally, I have trouble with the concept of "miracles".

[oh oh, I'm in t-r-o-u-b-l-e :glomp2:]

sealchan

Or were they "faith healings", ala psychosomatic?

[oh oh, I'm in t-r-o-u-b-l-e :glomp2:]

I used to be bothered by miracles but my firm belief that the Bible was written by literary craftsmen subsumes that issue into a whole other context. I am now free to believe in miracles as much as I believe in warp drive.

The irony of my observation regarding the neurological basis of the specified healings is that I doubt that the author of Matthew would have known about that neurological basis. What this raises is a strange incongruity that there is, in the claim about Jesus' healings, a reflection of the nervous system without a scientific understanding of that. So if this isn't just a coincidence, then what is it?! A miraculous perception of the origin of severe pain, paralysis, demon-possession and seizures? Or was the author of Matthew aware of this bodily basis of these conditions?

Actually a quick Googling suggests that in the 3rd Century BC the Greeks were becoming aware of the nervous system. That puts it into the realm of possibility that the author of Matthew might have had a clue.

Alternately for the literalist...why would there be a focus by God through Jesus on conditions of the nervous system?

metis

I used to be bothered by miracles but my firm belief that the Bible was written by literary craftsmen subsumes that issue into a whole other context. I am now free to believe in miracles as much as I believe in warp drive.

The irony of my observation regarding the neurological basis of the specified healings is that I doubt that the author of Matthew would have known about that neurological basis. What this raises is a strange incongruity that there is, in the claim about Jesus' healings, a reflection of the nervous system without a scientific understanding of that. So if this isn't just a coincidence, then what is it?! A miraculous perception of the origin of severe pain, paralysis, demon-possession and seizures? Or was the author of Matthew aware of this bodily basis of these conditions?

Actually a quick Googling suggests that in the 3rd Century BC the Greeks were becoming aware of the nervous system. That puts it into the realm of possibility that the author of Matthew might have had a clue.

Alternately for the literalist...why would there be a focus by God through Jesus on conditions of the nervous system?
Ya, as I sorta drift in a naturalist direction myself.

Kenny

Premium Member

that would be a great thing to do. Just to make sure I said it right, certainly "yes" to neurological, I'm just saying "not exclusively".

I do believe this is likely an effect of using the Greek as the use of exaggerated dichotomy is rampant and not to be taken as literal, and one especially sees it in Paul's writings.

This Greek influence was so pervasive in eretz Israel that when the Jewish canon was decided upon, they wouldn't accept any books written after about three centuries previous to when Jesus lived because of it.

I'm not too sure. If I'm not mistaken, the Pharisees main efforts was to go back to their Hebrew roots and away from the Roman/Greek influence. Since the books written were almost all before the Greek Empire, I'm not sure how you can Cannon a Geek influence when it was written before.

But Metis, isn't that what happened to the "first" attempt to enter into the Promised Land? They had trouble with the concept of God's ability to perform?

Kenny

Premium Member
Well... "papa" is extremely happy! My daughter and her family are coming over from Texas and my other daughter and her family are flying in from Australia (my son and his family lives close by) and the 10 grandchildren. It will be 2 weeks of a great family get-together compete with a Thanksgiving camp-out with my extended family of brothers, sisters and their offspring. The tribes will complete the feast with quail falling from Heaven... errrr turkeys and that deep fried.

So I will preempt Metis with some thoughts as I don't know how much time will be available. :) Sorry Metis.

Kenny

Premium Member
I have to bug out early so I'll return tomorrow and read the above comments more thoroughly.

The one thing I'm very disappointed in, however, is the fact that I've been doing the leaves outside for several hours today, my back feels like I've been hit by a Mack Truck, and neither of you showed up to help poor ol-- er, I mean mature-- me. :(
:) But I will lift you in prayer today! May your "strength be renewed like and eagle, may you run and not grow weary and walk and not faint" and may the leaves cease in about a month. :D

Kenny

Premium Member
Personal musings on Chapter six:

It would appear to me that this chapter really zeros in on heart motives. Remember a used saying of "Seek the heart and not the hand because if you have the heart the hand goes with it". Relationships and examining heart motivations in your relationship with the Father and with your fellow man. In giving to God and man. In praying to God and praying before man. Treasures in Heaven vs man's concept of treasures. And finally in living a life of trust, a life of faith... I believe that Metis believes in miracles! :)

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
I love this!

7 When you pray, there is no need to repeat empty phrases, praying like those who don’t know God, for they expect God to hear them because of their many words. 8 There is no need to imitate them, since your Father already knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray like this:

9 ‘Our Father, dwelling in the heavenly realms,
may the glory of your name
be the center on which our lives turn.
10 Manifest your kingdom realm,
and cause your every purpose to be fulfilled on earth,
just as it is fulfilled in heaven.
11 We acknowledge you as our Provider
of all we need each day.
12 Forgive us the wrongs we have done as we ourselves
release forgiveness to those who have wronged us.
13 Rescue us every time we face tribulation
and set us free from evil.
For you are the King who rules
with power and glory forever. Amen.’

In the "Protestant" arm, we believe the word "pray like this" is different from "pray this".

Vs 9 starts with acknowledging God in worship really remembering His designated attributes through His names -- among them.
  • Yahweh-jireh = "I AM will provide"
  • Yahweh-rapha = "Yahweh who heals"
  • Yahweh–nissi = "Yahweh My Banner or Victory"
  • Yahweh-mekoddishkem = "Yahweh Who Sanctifies You"
  • Yahweh-shalom = "Yahweh is Peace"
  • Yahweh-raah = "Yahweh My Shepherd"
  • Yahweh-tsidkenu = "Yahweh Our Saving Justice or Righteousness"
Interestingly enough, Jesus actually fulfilled all of these names.

Just worshipping and acknowledging God through His names with thanksgiving and praise brings gratitude, increases faith and, many times, an exchange of our liabilities for God's assets.

vs 10 From that point, to begin declaring the will of God by praying over those who come to your mind and over every circumstance and situation

vs 11 Pray for your needs

vs12 cleansing our hearts by forgiveness and by praying for others (even your enemies)

vs 13 and finishing it off by another dose of praise.

If one does this, then the "could you not tarry for one hour" is not a problem at all. :)

Kenny

Premium Member
28 “And why would you worry about your clothing? Look at all the beautiful flowers of the field. They don’t work or toil, 29 and yet not even Solomon in all his splendor was robed in beauty more than one of these! 30 So if God has clothed the meadow with hay, which is here for such a short time and then dried up and burned, won’t he provide for you the clothes you need—even though you live with such little faith?

31 “So then, forsake your worries! Why would you say, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ 32 For that is what the unbelievers chase after. Doesn’t your heavenly Father already know the things your bodies require?

33 “So above all, constantly chase after the realm of God’s kingdom and the righteousness that proceeds from him. Then all these less important things will be given to you abundantly. 34 Refuse to worry about tomorrow, but deal with each challenge that comes your way, one day at a time.Tomorrow will take care of itself.”

This is just as amazing IMV.

Worry will change your outlook, open the door to sickness and ulcers, and cause your life to be "chasing after things".

vs.

Seek God, His righteousness, His way of doing things and you will find that things chase after you. :)

So "Don't worry, be happy".

metis

I'm not too sure. If I'm not mistaken, the Pharisees main efforts was to go back to their Hebrew roots and away from the Roman/Greek influence. Since the books written were almost all before the Greek Empire, I'm not sure how you can Cannon a Geek influence when it was written before.
Yes, the canon of the Tanakh was to include only those prior to Hellenization as my post stated, but the Christian scriptures were written afterward. I reviewed what I wrote and it appears you may have read it wrong.

But Metis, isn't that what happened to the "first" attempt to enter into the Promised Land? They had trouble with the concept of God's ability to perform?
According the the scriptures, yep.
However, I don't know what "God's ability to perform" actually is. I don't deny that there can be "miracles", but I don't know if there are or whether Nature (all inclusive) is God.

However, with that being said, I do believe there's Something beyond our comprehension that some may call "miracles" but what someone else might call "natural". I don't know if you can make heads or tails of this, however?

But based on a series of experiences that I've had over the last four years, I do believe there is a "Something" that just seems mind-blowing to me.