• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student protests in Turkey

danieldemol

Premium Member
'For over a month students and teachers at Turkey’s Bogazici University, which is one of the most prestigious universities in the country have been protesting against the appointment of a former political candidate and academic as the Istanbul-based university’s rector...

...Turkey’s handling of the protests has faced criticism from the US, UN and the European Union. UN Human Rights said on Twitter, “We call for prompt release of students & protestors arrested for participating in peaceful demonstrations, and urge the police to stop using excessive force. We condemn homophobic & transphobic comments by officials, inciting hatred & discrimination against LGBT people.”'

Read more here: Explained: Why are students protesting in Turkey?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
US, UN and the European Union. UN Human Rights
Of those only the EU should be commenting on that topic. The rest of us are not going to impress anybody with our track records. Talk is cheap. Certainly I agree with the comments, but virtue signaling often does more harm than good.

USA is currently not very good to its own student protestors. UN is a human rights stinker. EU is at least somewhat decent on human rights currently. When the wrong people talk about virtues the message is that virtue should be nothing but words, and that isn't the message we ought to be sending.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Of those only the EU should be commenting on that topic. The rest of us are not going to impress anybody with our track records. Talk is cheap. Certainly I agree with the comments, but virtue signaling often does more harm than good.

USA is currently not very good to its own student protestors. UN is a human rights stinker. EU is at least somewhat decent on human rights currently. When the wrong people talk about virtues the message is that virtue should be nothing but words, and that isn't the message we ought to be sending.
I assume by 'currently' you are meaning during the Trump administration, but he is gone now.

The UN has members who are human rights stinkers, but I don't see why you accuse the UN as an entity of being a human rights stinker. Its track record may not be perfect, but it is probably learning from its mistakes.

Virtue should be more than words, but often starts with words, so don't underestimate the power of words to bring about real change.