• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student body president facing impeachment over Trump Jr. invite

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Florida student president faces impeachment over Trump Jr. visit

This was kind of funny.

The University of Florida's student body president is facing calls for impeachment after paying Donald Trump Jr. $50,000 in student tuition fees to speak on campus.

Five student government senators allege president Michael Murphy abused his power when he brought Trump Jr. to campus for a speaking engagement last month. The impeachment resolution was first obtained by the Tampa Bay Times.

The senators argue that the university's student government policies prohibit using tuition funds "in support of or against a political party at any level," according to the resolution.

"Mr. Murphy not only endangered students marginalized by the speakers' white nationalist supporters," the resolution says, "but also abused his power to advance a particular political party at the expense of the students he should represent."

They might have a case, so this is one impeachment which might be successful.

Shad

Veteran Member
Florida student president faces impeachment over Trump Jr. visit

This was kind of funny.

They might have a case, so this is one impeachment which might be successful.

If tuition funds were used seems like an easy case.

I really hate paid speaking events and lectures by those that are not part of staff or have anything to do with education. Seems completely backwards to have people profit in such a manner under the guise of "helping students or education"

*I do not mean professors and guests that have a relevant expertise for program subjects.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Student government has the appearance of a government but is a tool for universities to control students. I have seen this personally. The student government can be compelled to put forward projects that the university wishes to be paid for by student fees -- such as a new student building or more money to get a more sprawled out campus that takes more time to traverse. Its basically anything that the university doesn't want to pay or which is unpopular which can be propped up as beneficial for the students. I have seen the students vote against one of these measures and had their will overridden, with the student government rubber-stamping the override. These student government bodies have no ability to do anything outside of what the universities will for them to do. They are dress up, and they are for increasing costs. They are to get student approval for increased fees. As long as they do that they can do a lot of fun things, have votes, have parties, have projects and whatever.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Student government has the appearance of a government but is a tool for universities to control students. I have seen this personally. The student government can be compelled to put forward projects that the university wishes to be paid for by student fees -- such as a new student building or more money to get a more sprawled out campus that takes more time to traverse. Its basically anything that the university doesn't want to pay or which is unpopular which can be propped up as beneficial for the students. I have seen the students vote against one of these measures and had their will overridden, with the student government rubber-stamping the override. These student government bodies have no ability to do anything outside of what the universities will for them to do. They are dress up, and they are for increasing costs. They are to get student approval for increased fees. As long as they do that they can do a lot of fun things, have votes, have parties, have projects and whatever.
All I got to say is they should have had a slave auction.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
White nationalists?

I caught that too, along with the claim that he was endangering students that would supposedly be marginalized. I guess that is just soft speak to shut down any voice they don't like much like shouting down someone as racist even when they are not. This is where all the PC madness has led us, there were warnings all along that were not heeded.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree with what you're saying here. Back when I was in school, I never took student government all that seriously. I'm not saying it doesn't have some kind of academic or educational purpose, but it's not like it's any kind of real "government." It's probably something more like the Physics Club.