• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Struggling/Anger/Confusion

Patience

Let us dance with the wind and sing with the birds
This is very long, so I apologize ahead of time. I kind of needed somewhere to get it off my chest, and figure out what I should call myself, since I feel like that would help me to keep moving in life and find some sort of direction. I thought of this forum, even though I haven't posted on here much at all, just seems like an appropriate place?

Basically, I was raised Christian half of my life, then transitioned into a more Messianic Judaism/Hebrew Roots belief system. For the past few years I have been going in and out of my faith a bit and at one point grew so skeptical that I almost turned away from my beliefs and God entirely, but then last year started going back again and seeking God like before and I thought I had finally found my place again.

Right now though I am going through another phase, a bit different than before. I am struggling with anger, towards religion, towards family, towards so many things. Whenever I hear people talk about beliefs or anything that has to do with religion, it makes me cringe and I feel so angry. I am starting to realize now that for part of my life, I have been pretending, to myself and others, and making myself believe that I am dedicated to my faith, when I am not in heart at all. Perhaps I felt like I had to maintain an image so that others wouldn't get discouraged in theirs, and I was terrified of blaspheming God, but in the process I have grown angry and bitter. I pretend to like religion and people that I actually loathe, which I think mostly relates to how I loathe seeing how much control/manipulation and narcissistic behaviors are prevalent among the religious people and family that I know, and anything that feels similar to control/manipulation or passive-aggressiveness in beliefs, or anything similar really triggers me. I just want to be free from it all, but I am kind of afraid that at this point if I do anything I might make a drastic decision that I later regret, since I have been going back and forth in heart already for the past few years. I don't want my resentment to cloud my decision making either.

I know this is the area for seekers, though I wasn't sure where else to post it. I am not sure if I know what to believe anymore and I am not sure if I am going to seek anymore religious-wise for a time, but at the same time, I don't know what to call myself if people ask, since I was so religious before, even in dress (people and perfect strangers even always assume that I am religious/spiritual as soon as they meet me, and I often get asked what my beliefs are).

I have been thinking over what I still believe or what I don't believe in, so pretty much:
I don't believe in hierarchy among people
I don't believe in violence
I don't believe in pushing beliefs on others or proselytizing
I still hold to biblical morals and virtues (esp. fruits of the spirit and wisdom), but I struggle to stomach much else in there (I still rest on Sabbath day, it is like a pacifier to me where I have an excuse to get away from everything).
I am now on a Vegan diet and I don't like the idea of killing animals/other creatures for no reason. I don't understand why their life would have so little value to others, when they want to live just as much as everyone else? Though I am not against others eating meat either.
I don't believe in consciousness after death any more, and other than that, I am not really sure what I believe about after death.
I don't really know if I believe if there is any purpose in our lives or not? I don't really understand our reason for being alive for a short time, only to die, and our meager lifespan as compared to the ongoing vastness of eternity, just makes me struggle to understand what the purpose is for such a brief period of consciousness. Sometimes I wonder if anything is real at all.
I think I believe in God, but I am not sure I understand his nature or not. I know what I would like to believe about his nature in who he is, but I fear I might just turn him into a subset of my own desire. I kind of fear that another part of me might be angry at who I think he is in relation to what I have heard about him my whole life, which I also know might not be true. Sometimes I think that if God is there he must take interest in his creatures and care, while other times I think that maybe he just made everything and organized the world from a certain way, and doesn't care to otherwise interact with it.

So I think those are the major things that I still think and feel about, other than that I can't really stomach theology anymore without being triggered.

If you have gotten this far, thank you so much for reading through all these jumbled up thoughts. I really appreciate your time. :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like I know exactly what you're describing. I literally just PMd someone my story which is nigh the same. I don't feel comfortable talking about stuff so personal on public fora, but feel free to PM me. I'm not saying I can make the pain go away, or the confusion, but I can talk with you.

Rival.

Patience

I feel like I know exactly what you're describing. I literally just PMd someone my story which is nigh the same. I don't feel comfortable talking about stuff so personal on public fora, but feel free to PM me. I'm not saying I can make the pain go away, or the confusion, but I can talk with you.

Rival.
Thank you very much, Rival! I am just glad that someone else understands, knowing that makes me feel so much better.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I had a similar experience, but just when I thought I had lost God after years of searching in many places, he found me.

I had a million questions and I was helped to find an answer to all of them in the Bible. Solid, logical answers, not pie in the sky.
Its the big picture that is awesome. Happy to share.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
First off I just want to say whatever decision you make. That is totally up to you. Freewill is an amazing thing. Everything I am about to say is my opinion based on my experiences in life.

I was born and raised Baptist. For the first 10 years of my life I attended church alot. I attended my local family church + many others as my grandpaw was in a gospel band that toured and sold records. It was at this age my grandmaw passed away from cancer. My grandpaw fell into depression and alcoholism and the family foundation was shaken to the core. I stop attending church because of this initially.

Then shortly after in my teenage years I raged. I shook my fist at the sky and cursed His name (God). I picked on religous on message boards, I hated everyone and anything to do with religion. It had let me down. I had faith, I had been a good kid, and this is what I get in return?!?

So this continued on from 10 or so until about 30. After 20 years of doing whatever I wanted, with whoever I wanted with little regard for mans laws, let alone God's laws. I was spent, used up, burnt out, no good. It was then in my darkest hour I challenged God one last time. To show me, prove to me something! Now I am proud Christian. This time not because I was forced into it, not because I was expected to, but because I chose to.

Regardless of what faith or not you choose. I suggest some time away from religion a bit. Let it be a pilgrimage of sorts. Do your own thing for a few years. I would not suggest following the rabbit down the hole as far as I did, because people rarely come back from that. But yeah just live your life for a bit. Mayhap one day you will return, mayhap not. Freewill is a wonderful thing.

Tabu

This is very long, so I apologize ahead of time. I kind of needed somewhere to get it off my chest, and figure out what I should call myself, since I feel like that would help me to keep moving in life and find some sort of direction. I thought of this forum, even though I haven't posted on here much at all, just seems like an appropriate place?

Basically, I was raised Christian half of my life, then transitioned into a more Messianic Judaism/Hebrew Roots belief system. For the past few years I have been going in and out of my faith a bit and at one point grew so skeptical that I almost turned away from my beliefs and God entirely, but then last year started going back again and seeking God like before and I thought I had finally found my place again.

Right now though I am going through another phase, a bit different than before. I am struggling with anger, towards religion, towards family, towards so many things. Whenever I hear people talk about beliefs or anything that has to do with religion, it makes me cringe and I feel so angry. I am starting to realize now that for part of my life, I have been pretending, to myself and others, and making myself believe that I am dedicated to my faith, when I am not in heart at all. Perhaps I felt like I had to maintain an image so that others wouldn't get discouraged in theirs, and I was terrified of blaspheming God, but in the process I have grown angry and bitter. I pretend to like religion and people that I actually loathe, which I think mostly relates to how I loathe seeing how much control/manipulation and narcissistic behaviors are prevalent among the religious people and family that I know, and anything that feels similar to control/manipulation or passive-aggressiveness in beliefs, or anything similar really triggers me. I just want to be free from it all, but I am kind of afraid that at this point if I do anything I might make a drastic decision that I later regret, since I have been going back and forth in heart already for the past few years. I don't want my resentment to cloud my decision making either.

I know this is the area for seekers, though I wasn't sure where else to post it. I am not sure if I know what to believe anymore and I am not sure if I am going to seek anymore religious-wise for a time, but at the same time, I don't know what to call myself if people ask, since I was so religious before, even in dress (people and perfect strangers even always assume that I am religious/spiritual as soon as they meet me, and I often get asked what my beliefs are).

I have been thinking over what I still believe or what I don't believe in, so pretty much:
I still hold to biblical morals and virtues (esp. fruits of the spirit and wisdom), but I struggle to stomach much else in there (I still rest on Sabbath day, it is like a pacifier to me where I have an excuse to get away from everything).
I am now on a Vegan diet and I don't like the idea of killing animals/other creatures for no reason. I don't understand why their life would have so little value to others, when they want to live just as much as everyone else? Though I am not against others eating meat either.
I don't believe in consciousness after death any more, and other than that, I am not really sure what I believe about after death.
I don't really know if I believe if there is any purpose in our lives or not? I don't really understand our reason for being alive for a short time, only to die, and our meager lifespan as compared to the ongoing vastness of eternity, just makes me struggle to understand what the purpose is for such a brief period of consciousness. Sometimes I wonder if anything is real at all.
I think I believe in God, but I am not sure I understand his nature or not. I know what I would like to believe about his nature in who he is, but I fear I might just turn him into a subset of my own desire. I kind of fear that another part of me might be angry at who I think he is in relation to what I have heard about him my whole life, which I also know might not be true. Sometimes I think that if God is there he must take interest in his creatures and care, while other times I think that maybe he just made everything and organized the world from a certain way, and doesn't care to otherwise interact with it.

So I think those are the major things that I still think and feel about, other than that I can't really stomach theology anymore without being triggered.

If you have gotten this far, thank you so much for reading through all these jumbled up thoughts. I really appreciate your time. :)
I have been through all these , I understand how tough confusing and disheartening it becomes.
But I believe at the end of all these confusions , there are some great spiritual realization , behind these clouds is a bright sun . Just wait for these clouds to pass by.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You sound like a lot of modern folks to me. As this was placed in the Seekers DIR, have you considered things from traditions outside of the Judeo-Christian world, say eastern traditions like Buddhism and Hinduism? I personally have found peace with my Advaita non-dual (God and creation are not-two) beliefs. I really don't feel the Abrahamic religions satisfy the spiritual and intellectual needs of many people in today's world. We have entered a New Age of understanding for many.

Rational Agnostic

Actually your post is very interesting. It's best not to be angry at those who practice a religion, even if you disagree with them. Most people cannot cope with the idea that this life is all there is, and so must take up some form of belief system to deal with it. I wouldn't worry about how to label yourself, just enjoy your life and focus on what makes you happy. Personally, I prefer to remain agnostic about many of the deep unanswerable questions, but I do feel a sense of reverence and awe when contemplating the vastness of the universe, perhaps identifying "God" with the universe itself.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hi Patience

I can relate 2 your story. I was very angry and cynical for many years!

I have reached a peace-of-mind that I never thought possible. So people can and do change ...

Anger is a very tricky emotion - especially if you feel like lashing out at others in frustration.

Not sure if the following would help you in your particular situation and mind-set but I highly recommend mindfulness -

http://www.mindful.org/mindfulness-of-anger/

I have more links if you was interested but don't feel like I should "preach" or try to convert you into my way of thinking :)

Best of luck resolving your anger - it can seem overwhelming at times. I know!

Cheers.

Patience

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!

I had a similar experience, but just when I thought I had lost God after years of searching in many places, he found me.

I had a million questions and I was helped to find an answer to all of them in the Bible. Solid, logical answers, not pie in the sky.
Its the big picture that is awesome. Happy to share.
Thanks for sharing!

I was raised with the bible, raised having all the facts drilled into my head, memorized large portions with chapters after chapters, had to read history book after history book relating to bible, learned a bit of the Hebrew language even. I probably could debate anyone about the bible and come back with logical answers in support of a lot of different concepts because of this, but now it all makes me feel sour and resentful. Not sure what happened exactly or how I got to the point where I am at. Not really logical I guess considering with how I was raised. This last year I even tried to start viewing the bible from a different perspective for a time, and it seemed to help for a bit, but didn't last for long, so I probably will take a break for a while from it all, and maybe after that look at it again from a fresh perspective, maybe someday.

It is good to know though, that you were found in it and have the answers that you are looking for! :)

Everyone has to find their own truth.
Thank you!!

First off I just want to say whatever decision you make. That is totally up to you. Freewill is an amazing thing. Everything I am about to say is my opinion based on my experiences in life.

I was born and raised Baptist. For the first 10 years of my life I attended church alot. I attended my local family church + many others as my grandpaw was in a gospel band that toured and sold records. It was at this age my grandmaw passed away from cancer. My grandpaw fell into depression and alcoholism and the family foundation was shaken to the core. I stop attending church because of this initially.

Then shortly after in my teenage years I raged. I shook my fist at the sky and cursed His name (God). I picked on religous on message boards, I hated everyone and anything to do with religion. It had let me down. I had faith, I had been a good kid, and this is what I get in return?!?

So this continued on from 10 or so until about 30. After 20 years of doing whatever I wanted, with whoever I wanted with little regard for mans laws, let alone God's laws. I was spent, used up, burnt out, no good. It was then in my darkest hour I challenged God one last time. To show me, prove to me something! Now I am proud Christian. This time not because I was forced into it, not because I was expected to, but because I chose to.

Regardless of what faith or not you choose. I suggest some time away from religion a bit. Let it be a pilgrimage of sorts. Do your own thing for a few years. I would not suggest following the rabbit down the hole as far as I did, because people rarely come back from that. But yeah just live your life for a bit. Mayhap one day you will return, mayhap not. Freewill is a wonderful thing.
Thank you for sharing your experience! It sounds like you went through a very rough time for a while. I am glad that you have found a place to stand in your faith after all that.

Yeah, I don't think I am the type to go too extreme, though I do think I really need to take another break from religion for a time, thanks for your input on that too. I feel pushed around whenever I am around certain religious people in my day to day life, and the smug attitude has been driving me up the wall, even though they were directing it more at other people than me. I know that if I do come back to beliefs, whatever beliefs they will be, I will want them to be of my own free choice and not something that I do because I am guilt-tripped into it or because I am expected to.

I like how you mention "a pilgrimage of sorts", that is a good way of seeing it. Thanks once again for sharing!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Thanks for sharing!

I was raised with the bible, raised having all the facts drilled into my head, memorized large portions with chapters after chapters, had to read history book after history book relating to bible, learned a bit of the Hebrew language even. I probably could debate anyone about the bible and come back with logical answers in support of a lot of different concepts because of this, but now it all makes me feel sour and resentful. Not sure what happened exactly or how I got to the point where I am at. Not really logical I guess considering with how I was raised. This last year I even tried to start viewing the bible from a different perspective for a time, and it seemed to help for a bit, but didn't last for long, so I probably will take a break for a while from it all, and maybe after that look at it again from a fresh perspective, maybe someday.

It is good to know though, that you were found in it and have the answers that you are looking for! :)

Thank you!!

Thank you for sharing your experience! It sounds like you went through a very rough time for a while. I am glad that you have found a place to stand in your faith after all that.

Yeah, I don't think I am the type to go too extreme, though I do think I really need to take another break from religion for a time, thanks for your input on that too. I feel pushed around whenever I am around certain religious people in my day to day life, and the smug attitude has been driving me up the wall, even though they were directing it more at other people than me. I know that if I do come back to beliefs, whatever beliefs they will be, I will want them to be of my own free choice and not something that I do because I am guilt-tripped into it or because I am expected to.

I like how you mention "a pilgrimage of sorts", that is a good way of seeing it. Thanks once again for sharing!

My pleasure.

Patience

I have been through all these , I understand how tough confusing and disheartening it becomes.
But I believe at the end of all these confusions , there are some great spiritual realization , behind these clouds is a bright sun . Just wait for these clouds to pass by.
I am glad that you can understand, it always makes me feel better to hear this from another!

I like how you worded all that, very poetic! I hope so. :)

You sound like a lot of modern folks to me. As this was placed in the Seekers DIR, have you considered things from traditions outside of the Judeo-Christian world, say eastern traditions like Buddhism and Hinduism? I personally have found peace with my Advaita non-dual (God and creation are not-two) beliefs. I really don't feel the Abrahamic religions satisfy the spiritual and intellectual needs of many people in today's world. We have entered a New Age of understanding for many.
I would like to look into other belief systems someday. I did study a lot of them in my own spare time some years ago, but mostly from a biased perspective I guess. I would like to learn about them more from the perspective of the religion itself. Glad that you found your peace in beliefs!

Actually your post is very interesting. It's best not to be angry at those who practice a religion, even if you disagree with them. Most people cannot cope with the idea that this life is all there is, and so must take up some form of belief system to deal with it. I wouldn't worry about how to label yourself, just enjoy your life and focus on what makes you happy. Personally, I prefer to remain agnostic about many of the deep unanswerable questions, but I do feel a sense of reverence and awe when contemplating the vastness of the universe, perhaps identifying "God" with the universe itself.
This is true. I know I should't let myself feel this way towards others. Thanks for saying that! Yeah, it is something that is hard to cope with. I definitely feel very similar about the universe, its vastness, everything about it, truly is awe-inspiring! I find it very interesting how you think of it that way. I find that appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Patience

Hi Patience

I can relate 2 your story. I was very angry and cynical for many years!

I have reached a peace-of-mind that I never thought possible. So people can and do change ...

Anger is a very tricky emotion - especially if you feel like lashing out at others in frustration.

Not sure if the following would help you in your particular situation and mind-set but I highly recommend mindfulness -

http://www.mindful.org/mindfulness-of-anger/

I have more links if you was interested but don't feel like I should "preach" or try to convert you into my way of thinking :)

Best of luck resolving your anger - it can seem overwhelming at times. I know!

Cheers.
Thank you for sharing!

I am glad to hear that you have found such a deep peace!

Also, thank you for sharing that link on mindfulness! I have heard of mindfulness before, but never have actually read anything on it. It looks like a good way to analyze one's feelings and get to the root, and looking at it in a different way.

I would be interesting in hearing anything that you'd like to share! I don't have anything against sharing things with others, so no worries! I don't always read everything that others share, but I usually do glance over things, but definitely am interested.

Thank you for that! I appreciate it! :)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thank you for sharing!

I am glad to hear that you have found such a deep peace!

Also, thank you for sharing that link on mindfulness! I have heard of mindfulness before, but never have actually read anything on it. It looks like a good way to analyze one's feelings and get to the root, and looking at it in a different way.

I would be interesting in hearing anything that you'd like to share! I don't have anything against sharing things with others, so no worries! I don't always read everything that others share, but I usually do glance over things, but definitely am interested.

Thank you for that! I appreciate it! :)

You're most welcome - glad you enjoyed the link.

Thich Nhat Hanh is great teacher if you want to check out his books.

Here is a sample -

https://www.lionsroar.com/loosening-the-knots-of-anger/

Easier said than done when you are overwhelmed by anger ...

Wishing you the best of luck!

whirlingmerc

I think God might put or allow dissatisfaction in our hearts in something to cause us to reevaluate things
People are 'idol factories' and we make ways of approaching God that are not the best and God might knock them down occasionally as the Father prunes every branch that bears fruit so they bear more

so don't give up

As far as religion not being hierarchical... yes and no... there are bad hierarchies and good leaders and well... find the right ones where a plurality of godly elders might lead. I also don't think people should be pushy but should share the gospel in the site of God appealing to conscience... so it depends there are right ways and wrong ways to do it

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
New I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Thanks for sharing!

No one should be someone else's version of themselves. We all have to be who we are in our own heart. God does not force us to worship him....we have to choose that of our own free will because we love him and appreciate the gift of life we have been given. Understanding how everything fits into the big picture was the big clincher for me. No church ever taught me that. I had endless questions that they could never answer. I didn't understand how or why God would keep us in the dark about so much. But it wasn't him....it was how the churches were interpreting scripture. Nothing made sense.

I never understood the reasons why God allowed things to go so horribly wrong here on earth....and for so long. Was it all just a training ground for heaven? :shrug:

I never understood the meaning of the Lord's Prayer even though I recited it 'parrot fashion' every week.

I never understood why death felt so wrong if it was the gateway to a better life with the Lord. Grieving makes no sense if that is the case, yet we all do it.

I never understood why Jesus had to be born as a human child and then die a sacrificial death if he was God? Who can kill God?

I don't know where your breaking point came, but I came to abhor the blatant hypocrisy I saw all the time, especially when it came to political issues. If Jesus told us to be no part of this world, then we are all the churches in it up to their necks?
Jesus said to love our enemies, yet the churches always supported the military, even blessing the weapons that would be used to kill innocent ones. Christendom has a lot of blood on her hands. (Isaiah 1:15)

Rational Agnostic

This is true. I know I should't let myself feel this way towards others. Thanks for saying that! Yeah, it is something that is hard to cope with. I definitely feel very similar about the universe, its vastness, everything about it, truly is awe-inspiring! I find it very interesting how you think of it that way. I find that appealing. Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome.