• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stretched out?

King Phenomenon

Question to those who believe a “void” has always existed and will always exist. In other words no end no beginning. My question is if you go back in time, how can it be infinite when we’re still moving forward? It conflicts with an infinite future. It makes no sense. The past does exist, does it not?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Question to those who believe a “void” has always existed and will always exist. In other words no end no beginning. My question is if you go back in time, how can it be infinite when we’re still moving forward? It conflicts with an infinite future. It makes no sense. The past does exist, does it not?
It does if one considers infinite beginnings and endings have been around. I suspect life itself is technically immortal and view everything as a continuum.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Eternity in the past is possible if time did not exist before time was created.
A state of changelessness where all that existed was a changeless God.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The past exists in the sense that we can remember the past or examine evidence of past events which occurred. It's my understanding that the Earth is calculated to have existed around 4.5 billion years and the universe itself around 13 billion years (give or take). As to what, if anything, happened before that time, no one seems to know.

But if we're considering all of eternity - an infinite past and an infinite future, then even billions of years would just be a tiny fraction of time.

Eternity is a long time - trillions, quadrillions, quintillions of years. I've heard some believers say that God always existed and that no one actually "created" God. This means that God was ostensibly sitting alone in the dark for quadrillions of years before He decided to create the universe. What was He doing all that time?

Brian2

Veteran Member
The past exists in the sense that we can remember the past or examine evidence of past events which occurred. It's my understanding that the Earth is calculated to have existed around 4.5 billion years and the universe itself around 13 billion years (give or take). As to what, if anything, happened before that time, no one seems to know.

But if we're considering all of eternity - an infinite past and an infinite future, then even billions of years would just be a tiny fraction of time.

Eternity is a long time - trillions, quadrillions, quintillions of years. I've heard some believers say that God always existed and that no one actually "created" God. This means that God was ostensibly sitting alone in the dark for quadrillions of years before He decided to create the universe. What was He doing all that time?

An eternity of time could not have existed in the past or we would not be at this point in time yet.
God who does not change, existed in timelessness and was not alone because in God there are 3 persons.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
An eternity of time could not have existed in the past or we would not be at this point in time yet.
God who does not change, existed in timelessness and was not alone because in God there are 3 persons.

What does one do in "timelessness"? It doesn't seem that there can be any thought or action, since that would indicate a duration of time between beginning and end.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What does one do in "timelessness"? It doesn't seem that there can be any thought or action, since that would indicate a duration of time between beginning and end.

I doubt that God thinks as we do. He knows, but that is not the same thing.
But really I don't know what one does in timelessness. But God did not change.

King Phenomenon

It appears that most responses to my question are faith based. Totally understandable. After all it is senseless to the human mind.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Infinity is a bit of a fault line for human consciousness, I would argue. It is almost literally incomprehensible.