• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stress

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How many of you are stressed-out?

How do you handle it?

I found the following article almost by "accident" -

What does it mean to be “good” at stress? Does it mean you don’t get stressed out? That you stay calm under pressure and bounce back from adversity?

Actually, no. The truth of stress as I’ve researched it shows two important things. Firstly, that trying to avoid it is fundamentally counterproductive. Secondly, that thinking that we can emerge from stressful circumstances unscathed and unchanged is precisely the wrong way of thinking about things.

Instead, we need to start thinking about how to have the courage to grow from stress. This view of resilience was first described by the psychologist Salvatore Maddi, who founded the Hardiness Research Lab at the University of California Irvine. He dedicated his career to identifying what distinguishes people who thrive under stress from those who are defeated by it. The ones who thrive, he concluded, are those who view stress as inevitable, and rather than try to avoid it, they look for ways to engage with it, adapt to it, and learn from it.

The idea that we grow through adversity is not new ...

The full article & video are here -

How to be good at stress

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Depends on the day and whether or not I'm properly prepared.

Either I meditate or I succumb to my ego self and seek other (less effective and more malevolent temporary means).

I can relate! :)

I am making slow progress - it takes more to "stress me" than was the case previously.

I am learning to take my ego less "seriously" than I did for much of this particular lifetime ...

All the best!