• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strawberry Rhubarb pie query

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
There are a lot about at the moment. Yesterday a knock on the door saw a rather large pumpkin thrust at me. It will make soup, it will be roast with potatoes to go with sunday lunch, what's left will be frozen.
What? No pumpkin pie?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What? No pumpkin pie?

There will be many more...

Last year we were given 6 along with 6 squashes plus a lot of other new winter veg. I love living here

Since I posted that, what!!! 10 minutes ago a ginormous butternut squash has appeared. Maybe the squash will go towards Sunday lunch with pumpkin pie for desert

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
There are a lot about at the moment. Yesterday a knock on the door saw a rather large pumpkin thrust at me. It will make soup, it will be roast with potatoes to go with sunday lunch, what's left will be frozen.

easy-pumpkin-carving-102822226-1.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Who wants to have a gluttonous one on one public debate with me on whether strawberry rhubarb is the best pie? I will be taking the stance that it is. Subjects we'll tackle:

1. If a space alien ship landed, would or would not the space aliens like strawberry rhubarb pie?

2. Can eating strawberry rhubarb pie be considered a spiritual experience?

3. Will there be strawberry rhubarb pie in heaven?

4. Are the pyramids a result of eating strawberry rhubarb pie?

Looking for a willing debate opponent subject to my approval.
Well, strawberry rhubarb pie is very popular up here in Canada, and I list it quite high on my list of favourites, but sorry, at the top is a nice pumpkin pie, which I make with the addition of some rye whisky -- makes a huge difference.

I suspect the space alien might prefer something that we'd consider a little less appetizing -- perhaps a nice pie made of pressed human.

All pie eating can result in spiritual experiences -- if you just try a little.

No pie in heaven. No heaven. Tragedy, really, but there it is.

The pyramids are impossible, and so can't even exist. Not sure how we've all been misled by them.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There is no debate.
Better fruit pies....
1) Blackberry (wild variety)
2) Blueberry
Where do you live? You don't say "wild variety" with the blueberry, but there is just no comparison. Lovely, small, wild blueberries are so much better than those near-grape-sized things that you get from farms. I've been picking them up here in Ontario and Quebec for over 60 years, and don't intend to stop.

(Actually, nearly got wiped out one year in the Gatineau Hills in Quebec, near Ottawa, when a beaver dam burst and all these logs and water are rushing down straight at me on the hill I was picking on. Got out of the way with literally only about 3-4 seconds to spare! Hasn't cured me of my love for wild blueberries.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where do you live? You don't say "wild variety" with the blueberry, but there is just no comparison. Lovely, small, wild blueberries are so much better than those near-grape-sized things that you get from farms. I've been picking them up here in Ontario and Quebec for over 60 years, and don't intend to stop.

(Actually, nearly got wiped out one year in the Gatineau Hills in Quebec, near Ottawa, when a beaver dam burst and all these logs and water are rushing down straight at me on the hill I was picking on. Got out of the way with literally only about 3-4 seconds to spare! Hasn't cured me of my love for wild blueberries.)
Wild blackberries are readily available here.
Wild blueberries aren't. Thus farmed ones
are better....also less dangerous.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Wild blackberries are readily available here.
Wild blueberries aren't. Thus farmed ones
are better....also less dangerous.
I remember once when I was driving a motorhome (Fiat) around England, Wales and Scotland, stopping all over the place to pick wild blackberries. They're everywhere. The best was at Glastonbury, where I climbed the Tor afterwards, eating berries to fuel my ascent. Lovely! :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember once when I was driving a motorhome (Fiat) around England, Wales and Scotland, stopping all over the place to pick wild blackberries. They're everywhere. The best was at Glastonbury, where I climbed the Tor afterwards, eating berries to fuel my ascent. Lovely! :p
Tis a problem picking blackberries for a pie....
So many disappear before reaching the pail.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Ha! I've had that stuff, actually. It's just a normal beer, albeit with a joke about having sex with sheep. Australians and New Zealanders throw that one back and forth at each other all the time.
But, since you raised it, here is an actual lamb flavoured beer. Lamb is infused in the brewing process. Never tried it, but...

sunday-toast-beer.jpeg

And you mentioned pumpkin pie earlier. There are hundreds of those beers, perhaps thanks to America's halloween obsession...!!

b671_almanac_pumpkin_pie_1.JPG

[/quote]

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ha! I've had that stuff, actually.

I hear it doesn't travel well.

Australians and New Zealanders throw that one back and forth at each other all the time.

Yeah, happens in the UK too, Lancashire and Yorkshire friendly rivalry (they stopped actually killing each other over 500 years ago)

More commonly used as a derogatory term against the Welsh

Sheepshaggers ale is made in Scotland where beef and haggis are the usual farmed animals...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear it doesn't travel well.

I doubt it would. Darker beers generally travel better than lighter ones.
And no-one is going to bother air freighting Sheepshaggers Gold to Australia. But it's sold in a couple of the major bottleshop chains, so certainly see it around a lot.
Not my style of beer.

Yeah, happens in the UK too, Lancashire and Yorkshire friendly rivalry (they stopped actually killing each other over 500 years ago)

My paternal grandfather was from the Midlands, so not quite north enough for me to claim a background in this area. But I think it's common to a lot of places, huh? Melbourne and Sydney have a friendly rivalry in Australia. Norway and Sweden have some pretty interesting insults they throw at each other, etc, etc. Human nature I suppose.