• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strawberry Rhubarb pie query

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Since my mom always made good Rhubarb pie since I was little I've always enjoyed it.

I do have to say a good old fashioned apple pie is my favorite though. The crust is important to getting it just right. And a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Put the rhubarb and the apple in the same pie. Trust me on this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who wants to have a gluttonous one on one public debate with me on whether strawberry rhubarb is the best pie? I will be taking the stance that it is. Subjects we'll tackle:

1. If a space alien ship landed, would or would not the space aliens like strawberry rhubarb pie?

2. Can eating strawberry rhubarb pie be considered a spiritual experience?

3. Will there be strawberry rhubarb pie in heaven?

4. Are the pyramids a result of eating strawberry rhubarb pie?

Looking for a willing debate opponent subject to my approval.
There is no debate.
Better fruit pies....
1) Blackberry (wild variety)
2) Blueberry

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Behold!

51f0574f98524.image.jpg

I can do this trick with almost any food you name.

Lamb
beer_15664.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
The strawberry is super sweet to it and the rhubarb is a bit bitter and adds texture.
Bitter? Surely not. Do you mean sour?

I can see it might work, as Bramley apples, which are also sour, work with raspberries. But in both cases you will need to add a fair amount of sugar as well.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Bitter? Surely not. Do you mean sour?

I can see it might work, as Bramley apples, which are also sour, work with raspberries. But in both cases you will need to add a fair amount of sugar as well.

I've experienced sour or bitter or a combination of both with it before.

exchemist

Veteran Member
On apple pie, I like lots of cinnamon.
That is something I dislike. I make apple pie quite often, but I use cloves to give it some spice, in preference to cinammon. I also use soft dark brown sugar, as it adds a caramel taste that goes very well.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Have you tasted MY version?
Obviously not.

But my problem with that sort of thing as a rule is that I always find I want some acidity in the filling, to cut the butter in the pastry. It is traditional to use acid fruit in these pies. On the occasions I have had pies without acid fruit, e.g pecan pie, or, even worse, pumpkin pie, I have found them almost inedible - what the French call "étouffe chrétien".

ChristineM

Premium Member
Obviously not.

But my problem with that sort of thing as a rule is that I always find I want some acidity in the filling, to cut the butter in the pastry. It is traditional to use acid fruit in these pies. On the occasions I have had pies without acid fruit, e.g pecan pie, or, even worse, pumpkin pie, I have found them almost inedible - what the French call "étouffe chrétien".

I have not heard that before and neatly slid off my chair laughing

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Who wants to have a gluttonous one on one public debate with me on whether strawberry rhubarb is the best pie? I will be taking the stance that it is. Subjects we'll tackle:

1. If a space alien ship landed, would or would not the space aliens like strawberry rhubarb pie?

Looking for a willing debate opponent subject to my approval.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

My mom used to make rhubarb custard and gooseberry custard pies. Most people don't develop a taste for them; my family loves them. She tried strawberry-rhubarb a few times, but with mixed results. My wife makes them, but it's better to go buy from a local baker...

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Put the rhubarb and the apple in the same pie. Trust me on this.
I endorse this post. If you don't trust lewisnotmiller, than trust me. If you don't trust either of us, then the more apple-rhubarb pie for lewisnotmiller and me.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

They'd hate it......everyone knows that space aliens much prefer apple pie over all others

possibly, but doubtful, rhubarb is known to be spawn of Satan

No, see previous comment about Satan

Well duh, of course they are.....as was the Great Wall of China...the Colossus of Rhodes....and the sinking of Atlantis

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Give me a good sliced pumpkin pie and i am yours ,-)
Pumpkin is actually great baked, with butter and garlic, or whatever other flavour one might favour. It's good for far more than pies and jack-o'lanterns. I buy one every year as a protest to stupid consumers.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Pumpkin is actually great baked, with butter and garlic, or whatever other flavour one might favour. It's good for far more than pies and jack-o'lanterns. I buy one every year as a protest to stupid consumers.
I can certainly believe it would benefit from being cooked with something assertive and savoury. But it's not something I feel inclined to experiment with - it's just too bland.

When my son was small we used to buy a pumpkin at Hallowe'en, just to make a lantern from. But we've stopped that, as it's a blessed relief not to have the kids ringing the bell all evening, demanding sweets.

I do cook with courgettes quite often, but that's about as far as it goes in this house, on the squash front.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can certainly believe it would benefit from being cooked with something assertive and savoury. But it's not something I feel inclined to experiment with - it's just too bland.

When my son was small we used to buy a pumpkin at Hallowe'en, just to make a lantern from. But we've stopped that, as it's a blessed relief not to have the kids ringing the bell all evening, demanding sweets.

I do cook with courgettes quite often, but that's about as far as it goes in this house, on the squash front.

We grow those. I like acorn squash for its nutty flavour.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Pumpkin lasagne (where you puree the pumpkin with ricotta cheese to make the sauce) makes a delicious lasagne.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Pumpkin lasagne (where you puree the pumpkin with ricotta cheese to make the sauce) makes a delicious lasagne.
My mother, at the urging of my father, once upon a time, made a turnip pie for Thanksgiving, when some cousins were coming over for dinner. They didn't even know it wasn't the traditional pumpkin until after they ate it. My brothers and I could hardly contain the giggles. Stupid fun stuff ... buy yeah that sounds good. There is so much to experiment with, and what can possibly go wrong?

ChristineM

Premium Member

There are a lot about at the moment. Yesterday a knock on the door saw a rather large pumpkin thrust at me. It will make soup, it will be roast with potatoes to go with sunday lunch, what's left will be frozen.