• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest Thoughts You Had as a Kid

Rational Agnostic

I'm curious to know about the strange or irrational thoughts/beliefs that you had as a child.

For me, my strangest thought revolved around my family's next-door neighbor. He was a very eccentric man with extreme mood swings, a fiery temper, and unpredictable personality changes. He could be very kind and giving to his neighbors on one day, and the next day would be issuing violent threats against various neighbors. As a young child, I remember watching him mow his lawn one day, and suddenly a powerful thought occurred to me: What if he is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and is actually God himself? I'm not sure exactly why I thought this, but I have some idea. He actually fit the description of Jesus quite well, in that he had both a good and a bad side that people could be on. Since the bible describes Jesus as being capable of both immense love and forgiveness, as well as extreme wrath, this may not have been a strange thought after all. The bible depicts Jesus as having an irrationally extreme temper. When he was hungry and found a tree with no fruit simply because it was not the right season for trees to bear fruit, he yelled at the tree and said he hoped no one ever ate fruit from it again (see Mark 11).

Nevertheless, I think that the thought that my neighbor was actually God was still a very irrational and funny thought to have as a kid, but a more interesting thought than believing in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, or any other traditional irrational beliefs of childhood.

So, what was your most strange or irrational thought you had as a child?

Erebus

I remember thinking that the whole chickens in the supermarket were babies. There was a weird, uncanny horror to supermarket trips as people bought headless babies to eat and nobody seemed to notice or mind. I vaguely remember imagining some dark place where people cut the heads off unwanted babies and gave them to the supermarket.

On a lighter note, it took me a long time to understand why people going to ATMs with a "Free Cash" sign on them didn't make the most of it. If there are machines that give you free cash, why would you ever need to work again?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought Santa Clause was a lie, and that my parents were dishonorable for promoting it.

Oddly enough, it was their own fault I felt this way. I was rather bookish (and it was my mother that taught me to read) and several of the books my parents had given me contradicted the myth of Santa Clause.
I was even enjoined (threatened) to keep this revelation to myself, and not reveal it to my younger brothers and sister.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There was this supernatural creature on the side of my garage that kept growling every time I went close enough.

I remember my older cousin taking me back there to show that there is nothing there.

I heard a snap and his foot started bleeding and he never took me back there again after I kept repeating, I told you so! I told you so! True story.

Now as an adult, I think the growling was just a neighbor's dog nearby that I couldn't see and my cousin coincidentally just scraped himself on some debris that's on the side of the garage, but as a little kid, you kind of put two and two together which for me at the time was that supernatural creature.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My dad was a carpenter so obviously I thought I was the new Jesus at one point. Didn't last long though - as I didn't seem to have any magic powers or even any special ones. :oops:

MonkeyFire

That I am the living embodiment of FAITH. I believe God is passive and we can only rely on our own divinity for safety as a pact with God, or nothing is making you supreme, and you won't go to heaven.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In high school, I became convinced that all future human behavior could at least in principle be mathematically modeled and predicted, then reduced to a laser light show set to music.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought that after a pet died it went to Heaven and was shown a video of its whole life, but now with the ability to understand what was said and done to it by humans.

Jedster

I remember thinking that the whole chickens in the supermarket were babies. There was a weird, uncanny horror to supermarket trips as people bought headless babies to eat and nobody seemed to notice or mind. I vaguely remember imagining some dark place where people cut the heads off unwanted babies and gave them to the supermarket.

On a lighter note, it took me a long time to understand why people going to ATMs with a "Free Cash" sign on them didn't make the most of it. If there are machines that give you free cash, why would you ever need to work again?

I always wondered about pubs being free houses:eek:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Probably because of Michal Jackson, I used to think skin color was something that could just randomly and spontaneously change.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some kid once asked me if I '...used to be a boy.'

Perhaps not that strange. I was 9 or 10.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I'm curious to know about the strange or irrational thoughts/beliefs that you had as a child.

For me, my strangest thought revolved around my family's next-door neighbor. He was a very eccentric man with extreme mood swings, a fiery temper, and unpredictable personality changes. He could be very kind and giving to his neighbors on one day, and the next day would be issuing violent threats against various neighbors. As a young child, I remember watching him mow his lawn one day, and suddenly a powerful thought occurred to me: What if he is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and is actually God himself? I'm not sure exactly why I thought this, but I have some idea. He actually fit the description of Jesus quite well, in that he had both a good and a bad side that people could be on. Since the bible describes Jesus as being capable of both immense love and forgiveness, as well as extreme wrath, this may not have been a strange thought after all. The bible depicts Jesus as having an irrationally extreme temper. When he was hungry and found a tree with no fruit simply because it was not the right season for trees to bear fruit, he yelled at the tree and said he hoped no one ever ate fruit from it again (see Mark 11).

Nevertheless, I think that the thought that my neighbor was actually God was still a very irrational and funny thought to have as a kid, but a more interesting thought than believing in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, or any other traditional irrational beliefs of childhood.

So, what was your most strange or irrational thought you had as a child?
Living in So CA, a big lighting storm came across the desert when I was on recess in 4th grade.

I thought for sure Jesus had come down in spirit and zapped the huge cross in the sky which I witnessed. I was so happy Jesus was really with me and giving me signs. Seriously.

Jedster

Re: Money
When I was about 4, I heard my mother ask my brother(aged 7) to lend her 2 shillings. She said "I'll give it back to you next week".
I just could not understand how she could possibly give it back if she was going to spend it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Me too, i think i was about 7 when santa started to become dad, and 14 when my faith was stolen.
That was about the same age I was for those, though I was 16 when I filled and eviction notice against the holy ghost.
And, come to think of it, Young Earth Creationism, Conservative Literalist Christianity, global flood, those stories are more strange to believe than not knowing anything about vitiligo and instead thinking skin color can and sometimes does just change. That's way more sane than zombies, talking donkeys, and someone surviving being eaten by a whale/large fish.