• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest things you've eaten?

HiddenHijabi

No, it's brains. A traditional delicacy
As for tongues and the like, I see people think internal organs are a weird thing to eat. I consider internal organs such as hearts and livers to be very tasty.

Here's a useless fact which comes to mind seeing this post- a traditional ancient Roman sacrifice involved burning the internal organs, as well as the fat and small portions of the actual flesh. This was done because the Romans believed that the internal organs were the best parts of the animal to eat, whilst the flesh was seen as secondary. So to them, it was like offering as a sacrifice a piece of prime fillet steak would be to us.

I personally think liver, heart and brains are quite nice to eat.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Called samman birds in Arabic. Dunno of the English name.
It's a quail ;) they sell their eggs here as well though I never bought it because they are small and more pricey. Would you say they taste better than ordinary chicken eggs? Better enough to try them?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
It's a quail ;) they sell their eggs here as well though I never bought it because they are small and more pricey. Would you say they taste better than ordinary chicken eggs? Better enough to try them?

Hmm, quail. Has a nice sound to it :rolleyes:

Plumbers... I mean mechanics here pronounce coil as quail... losers :)

The taste is similar to chickens' but with a little twist of sweetness.

I wouldn't say it is worth it since the difference is just some extra sweetness.

When I was little, I had lots of it because we had a farm with quails near by. My father had connections :eek:

But it is worth it to eat the birds them selves (from my RF albums):
smart_guy-albums-all-picture4978-roast-quail.jpg

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
It wasn't something I ate, but when I was in Spain, a classmate of mine didn't expect her fish to have it's head and eyes still intact.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It wasn't something I ate, but when I was in Spain, a classmate of mine didn't expect her fish to have it's head and eyes still intact.
My wife still has issues with that, since commonly when not serving a fillet, fish here are served like that. Pretty much intact.
I'm not sure I told her that in my Maghrebi side eating the eyes is considered a good luck. Pretty much something you would offer to honor a guest ;)