• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest things you've eaten?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
1211.jpg

Pretty tasty with saltines.

I ate several times a cooked fresh octopus with its ink soup, but the taste wasn't that great.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Canned octopus? That sounds super awesome, actually.

The strangest thing I've eaten was probably frog legs. Although, in the Southern US, it's kind of common. I haven't really eaten anything really strange, but I'm always trying new things.

As cliche' as it is, frog legs really do taste like chicken, which is why I would rather just have chicken. :p

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I've eaten squid and raw shrimp.

These too:
7pyr.jpg

Caught them with my bare hands my self.

I always wanted to eat crocodiles. Are they chewy?

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Some parts in my country eat locust (not grasshoppers) and some lizard similar to iguana. It looks like this:
91970.jpg
I'm not in one of these parts and never tried them... yet :D

Vanakkam,

Just had a steak a few days ago. It's... strange. Looks like ordinary meat, but the taste and texture is a weird mix between meat and fish.
With a nice sauce it wasn't bad at all

Greetings to you too Ma'am.

Nice combination of taste. I'd love to have one well done one day. I hope the bite feels like T-bone or Porter House steak. I love foods with a moderate toughness in its bite.

Always wanted to visit France specifically to eat the variety of crustacean sea foods.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Ah yes, I had forgotten that I had also eaten octopus at a Chinese restaurant.
I never realized so many people considered sea food (such as crabs or octopus) to be so exotic.
As far as octopuses go, I enjoyed how octopus is prepared in Maltese cuisine more than my dinings during my time in Greece. However, I'm always opened for second chances.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
My friend's Korean mom had me try dry seaweed, picked radish, raw fish (and I mean fresh raw) and this wasabi-esque horseradish sauce.

It was really good. :) But, good God, it will clear your sinuses.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My friend's Korean mom had me try dry seaweed, picked radish, raw fish (and I mean fresh raw) and this wasabi-esque horseradish sauce.

It was really good. :) But, good God, it will clear your sinuses.
I had a similar experience when I had fermented shark meat in Reykjavik a couple of weeks ago. I realized the dish may be considered traditional not for its great taste (because it doesn't taste great), but because it opened up my sinuses.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I had a similar experience when I had fermented shark meat in Reykjavik a couple of weeks ago. I realized the dish may be considered traditional not for its great taste (because it doesn't taste great), but because it opened up my sinuses.

Fermented shark? What was that like?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Fermented shark? What was that like?
Weird.

But more into the detail, it had the same qualities of wasabi in terms of 'hotness', as it did opened my my airways in an instance. The texture is particular, and I am not sure what to compare it to, the same goes to the taste which I have no idea how to define. Definitely not eaten for its taste, in my opinion.
It isn't served like any fish or meat course, as in a fillet, grilled piece of fish, etc. Instead it is served as a side dish, where you get several sliced cubes. At least that's how they served it to me.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
The other day I ate these:
m0ee.jpg

Yeah I know, my pealing skills are really bad.

They looked like this before pealing:
yrs8.jpg

Yup, they are eggs, not stones ha ha.

Here is the actual size compared to my hand:
7z2y.jpg

b3hw.jpg

Please don't stare at my hand too much. It's shy
redface.gif

In case you wonder, they are eggs of this animal:
gator.jpg

Ooops, I made a mistake, I mean these tiny, puny, little, sweet, adorable, cute and um - delicious animals:
gWa46945.jpg

Called samman birds in Arabic. Dunno of the English name.

Okay every one, jump right in
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Locusts in honey, I got a live batch and prepared them fresh in my kitchen. All in all it was pretty good, fried nicely with butter.
Cow brain, very tender and quite tasty. It's a traditional dish in the Moroccan side of my family.
Snails, at my wife's parents' in France. I thought it was incredible, it was cooked with garlic and herbs.
Turkey testicles, often on our local BBQ menus, but not often eaten. Not bad actually.
Beef and horse tongues.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, or that I simply don't consider strange enough to list.

Are you sure it was cow brains and not sweetbread? I know a lot of people that used to think sweetbreads was brains.
I don't think beef tongue is weird at all.

We eat sweetbreads, tongue and chicken gizzards. There's a wonderful artery-clogging aspic made out of cow feet and lots of garlic. There used to be a dish made out of stuffed intestines. Chicken soup made from chicken feet is pretty common.

The worst I think is fried rendered chicken fat.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Are you sure it was cow brains and not sweetbread? I know a lot of people that used to think sweetbreads was brains.
I don't think beef tongue is weird at all.
No, it's brains. A traditional delicacy
As for tongues and the like, I see people think internal organs are a weird thing to eat. I consider internal organs such as hearts and livers to be very tasty.

Tumah

Veteran Member
No, it's brains. A traditional delicacy
As for tongues and the like, I see people think internal organs are a weird thing to eat. I consider internal organs such as hearts and livers to be very tasty.

Really? People think eating liver is weird? I didn't even put that on my list because I thought it was normal.