• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest things you've eaten?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Chicken feet, hearts, ostrich burgers (OMG they were delicious), and beef tongue.

I have run into people in these parts that think sushi is uber-strange, which I happily enjoy once a week at least.

But these are the same people that will fry up chicken gizzards without a second thought. LOL

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Squirrel was a regular part of my diet growing up.

Some people look at me like I've flipped my lid when I say that.
Mountain living, FTW!

All natural, free-range, organic, acorn fed, dark, lean meat.
Beauty.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian now though :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Strange, maybe but not icky depending in your p.o.v. Of course one doesn't get to be 230 lbs (yes, I was up there) by being a fussy eater:

'Gator in spicy tomato sauce.
Snails (OK, escargot :rolleyes:).
Beef tongue.
Beef heart.
My grandmother used to make them, but I've never had brains (take that any way you want :D).
Pigs ears (and feet, of course).
Tripe (stomach).
Frog legs (yes, tastes like chicken).
Eel, fried and/or pickled.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I've eaten zebra, odile and tarantula before now, but I'm wondering if anyone can beat this for the weirdest thing to eat.

So, go!

The strangest ever thing i have ate is the ballot egg (balut) while i was in the philippines,
Yak,my advice don't ever think to try it.

balot-penoy-half-shelled%20balot-duck%20embryo-food-Philippines.PNG

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Gelatinous fish; lutefisk.

Garrison Keillor and Jeffery Steingarten describe it.

Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.
Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren’t on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people.
It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm.
Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.
source

There's nothing like eating fish with a spoon.

201010-w-strangestdish-lutefisk.jpg

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Chicken feet, hearts, ostrich burgers (OMG they were delicious), and beef tongue.

I have run into people in these parts that think sushi is uber-strange, which I happily enjoy once a week at least.

But these are the same people that will fry up chicken gizzards without a second thought. LOL
Ostrich meat is fantastic!
And I agree about the hearts, I am a big fan of internal organs. Anything from hearts and livers to kidneys and other anatomical wonders.

Last edited:

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Squirrel was a regular part of my diet growing up.

Some people look at me like I've flipped my lid when I say that.
Mountain living, FTW!

All natural, free-range, organic, acorn fed, dark, lean meat.
Beauty.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian now though :D

Someone over here published squirrel recipes online and got death threats from animal rights activists for cruelty.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ostrich meat is fantastic!
And I agree about the hearts, I am a big fan of internal organs. Anything from hearts and livers to kidneys and other anatomical wonders.

Tried to explain just how luscious hearts taste, and I keep getting looks from some folks who think I've fallen off the deep end.

I'd ask, "You like dark meat?"

They'd say, "Oh yeah, I prefer it because it's more rich."

I'd say, "Well, imagine dark meat times ten, and for me that's eating hearts."

They'd say, "NOOOO! Not the HEART! What are you, somebody that sacrifices virgins and eats their hearts raw like a savage?" Hilarious.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Tried to explain just how luscious hearts taste, and I keep getting looks from some folks who think I've fallen off the deep end.

I'd ask, "You like dark meat?"

They'd say, "Oh yeah, I prefer it because it's more rich."

I'd say, "Well, imagine dark meat times ten, and for me that's eating hearts."

They'd say, "NOOOO! Not the HEART! What are you, somebody that sacrifices virgins and eats their hearts raw like a savage?" Hilarious.
Hahaha. Whenever you're touring our holy land I'll take you to specially selected BBQ joints and a few high class restaurants for a culinary experience which boldly goes where no Hindu chef dares venture!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hahaha. Whenever you're touring our holy land I'll take you to specially selected BBQ joints and a few high class restaurants for a culinary experience which boldly goes where no Hindu chef dares venture!

Sweet! :bounce