• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange question but.....

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If time itself hasn't existed for an infinite amount of time before present day, and were X years old, would it still be accurate to say that a person ceased to exist an eternity before being born? Or would a person had ceased to exist for X years before birth?

Hypothetical, regardless of this being true.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
If time itself hasn't existed for an infinite amount of time before present day, and were X years old, would it still be accurate to say that a person ceased to exist an eternity before being born? Or would a person had ceased to exist for X years before birth?

"Ceased to exist" sounds like death. I don't see how a person could die before they were born, unless you believe in reincarnation or something.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

You're one step closer to understanding the illusion. Congrats.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I like this question and is an issue I have with time. Me and time are going have some words later.
An eternity ago doesn't make practical sense because this point in time could never be reached. The point in time that someone begins to exist could never happen, unless one is conveniently referring to infinity as just some astronomically huge number.

Our conception of time appears to have a beginning but not time itself which is quite the conundrum. Its like saying it took an eternity for time to begin, which doesn't appear to be too far from the truth.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

The latter would be the more accurate of the two. Not existing for eternity is a pretty tough thing to accomplish for beings that are X years old. :D

"Eternity" includes then, now, and what's to be. But only "now" exists.