• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange offerings

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I thought of this after reading @Spiderman 's thread on masturbating. What's the strangest thing you ever offered or done as a devotional act to a deity? I've heard some very strange ones. Like I've heard of folk who masturbate as an offering, some who give semen, tears from crying, dead roaches, banging someone as a devotional act, and even offering feces to a deity. The weirdest item I've ever given was a protection jar with one drop of menstural blood to a deity.

Edit after @Rival 's response technially most of these aren't strange unless you are from an outside perspective as it depends on the deity. For instance some deites are associated with sexuality and blood and of feces. So those could be normal considering the religious beliefs

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I thought of this after reading @Spiderman 's thread on masturbating. What's the strangest thing you ever offered or done as a devotional act to a deity? I've heard some very strange ones. Like I've heard of folk who masturbate as an offering, some who give semen, tears from crying, dead roaches, banging someone as a devotional act, and even offering feces to a deity. The weirdest item I've ever given was a protection jar with one drop of menstural blood to a deity.
I have never done anything strange like those things you describe.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Semen isn't strange. Pharaoh masturbated ritually into the Nile as a fertility ritual.

Last edited:

VoidCat

An act that some would see strange I've done(which isnt strange if you know it was to a death deity) is cleaning an animal skull covered in vomit and burying it.

VoidCat

Other offerings I've given both to Loki is a piece of trash, a squishy toy, and a stuff animal.. Odd but not that odd. After all it's to a mischief god

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Not strange IMO.

But I've offered my homegrown vegetables to the Gods.

I've also offered blood; I typically will prick a finger or two for this.

I've offered a drawing I made as well. All these offerings are usually ritually burned in a fire.

I've never offered semen, but I've used self pleasure as an aspect of a Magick work.

VoidCat

Not strange IMO.

But I've offered my homegrown vegetables to the Gods.

I've also offered blood; I typically will prick a finger or two for this.

I've offered a drawing I made as well. All these offerings are usually ritually burned in a fire.

I've never offered semen, but I've used self pleasure as an aspect of a Magick work.
Agreed none of that is strange. But it might be to an outsider. In fact nothing I listed seemed strange to me but I put cuz others might think so.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Whenever I see an Oak leaf and an acorn, I place the latter on top of the former and say:

"Great Pan, be revived in that forest inside of me."

I call it the "Hoofprint of Pan" and consider it my own little offering to a deity I symbolically get a lot of inspiration from.

syo

What's the strangest thing you ever offered or done as a devotional act to a deity?
Deities don't need offerings. It's a completely useless act. Worthless. All deities are deists, anyway. Also, they don't need rituals. Our rituals are a circus full of clowns to them. Worthless.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Deities don't need offerings. It's a completely useless act. Worthless. All deities are deists, anyway. Also, they don't need rituals. Our rituals are a circus full of clowns to them. Worthless.
Good. I shALL DO YOU ONE BETTER. (nevermind those big letters...a diety perhaps?) I think that a deity is such because he/she/it doesn't actually need* anything. If, in case, a diety might want something, then, never mind, you shall become its diety. OK. Peace everybody. Hell, why not?

* italics mine, all mine

VoidCat

Of course they don't need offerings. Doesnt mean you cant make them if your practice allows it to show appreciation. As for needing rituals and such again they don't need them but rituals can show appreciation and help you as a person to set intentions among other things even if it doesn't affect the deity much. They aren't worthless to the person doing them. Don't mock other people's practices by calling their practices circuses full of clowns. Maybe that's how you feel about it but firstly you arent the gods. Second it just isn't nice to mock other folks practices. I wouldn't do that to you don't do that to me. Just say you don't make offerings you find it useless in your practice so you don't do offerings instead of mocking a person's practice.

syo

Of course they don't need offerings. Doesnt mean you cant make them if your practice allows it to show appreciation. As for needing rituals and such again they don't need them but rituals can show appreciation and help you as a person to set intentions among other things even if it doesn't affect the deity much. They aren't worthless. Don't mock other people's practices by calling their practices circuses full of clowns. Maybe that's how you feel about it but firstly you arent the gods. Second it just isn't nice to mock other folks practices. I wouldn't do that to you don't do that to me. Just say you don't make offerings you find it useless in your practice so you don't do offerings instead of mocking a person's practice.
I don't mock. And I am not the Gods. All Gods are DEIST, of course I am not the Gods. And no, Gods do NOT appreciate, they are deists.

VoidCat

@syo it is an interesting thought what you wrote. Gods being deists. Makes sense that you wouldn't make offerings as a result. I can understand that.