• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Straight Pride Parade

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
We can be a passionate species. Spontaneous displays of joy and affection should not surprise or disgust anyone, rather we should be happy that people can find joy and display affection towards each other in this world.
I think that's true from most people. I think there is a potential subjective problem which is determined by each person's individual goals.

If, for example, a person's goal is to be chaste; then it might be useful to maintain an attachment to the discomfort that comes from seeing people engaged in physical intimacy.

If, for example, a person's goal is to do no harm and be chaste, then feeling discomfort is useful, but choosing how and when to express this to others becomes important.

If, for example, a person's goal is detachment; then the **cause** for feeling discomfort may be something that should be examined.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I think that's true from most people. I think there is a potential subjective problem which is determined by each person's individual goals.

If, for example, a person's goal is to be chaste; then it might be useful to maintain an attachment to the discomfort that comes from seeing people engaged in physical intimacy.

If, for example, a person's goal is to do no harm and be chaste, then feeling discomfort is useful, but choosing how and when to express this to others becomes important.

If, for example, a person's goal is detachment; then the **cause** for feeling discomfort may be something that should be examined.
Maybe not giving a damn that some other people are kissing in public and minding your own goddamn business should be a goal. I have achieved that level of enlightenment.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Maybe not giving a damn that some other people are kissing in public and minding your own goddamn business should be a goal. I have achieved that level of enlightenment.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. ( and a role model, at least for me :) )

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
@Enoch07 , Maybe this was already addressed ( I haven't read the entire thread ), but I'm curious about your opinion:

The article references "Super Happy Fun America, a group that advocates on behalf of the straight community," In your opinion, does the straight community need advocacy? If so, why?

You are taking a group called Supper Happy Fun America seriously?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I guess I was. :oops::rolleyes::)

Are they satirical? Do they make fun of themselves? Is the parade a farce?

A quote from my article in the OP.

"I really like his movies and his lawyers sent us a letter asking us to take his stuff down but, you know, you're allowed to do satire," John Hugo, president of Super Happy Fun America, told the newspaper."

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

"I really like his movies and his lawyers sent us a letter asking us to take his stuff down but, you know, you're allowed to do satire," John Hugo, president of Super Happy Fun America, told the newspaper."
Brad Pitt would have made a good grand marshal.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Are they making fun of themselves? Here is the definition of Satire from Wikipedia. Do you see why the parade is in poor taste, even if it is satire?

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.

Using the definition above, if you agree with it, what is the "greater purpose" behind the humor? What is the "constructive social criticism"?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Frankly, if Boston weren't so far away I might well join the throngs. Milo is just a hoot! I'm sure he will be FABULOUS!
I find gay pride parades a little tiresome.
Tom

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Agreed. Unfortunately, that seems to be a thing of the past. Nowadays everyone feels righteous in dictating to others how they should believe, how they should think and how they should live.