• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Straight Pride Parade

HonestJoe

It always seemed odd to me to take pride in something you haven't actually accomplished. Sexual orientation isn't an achievement, any more than left handedness or blue eyes.
I can appreciate such parades as celebrations, perhaps, but I wouldn't take any personal pride in my orientation, race or nationality.
That’s a common misunderstanding (and often intentional misinterpretation) and in hindsight, Pride might not have been the best choice of name for the events. It came about based on the previous established social principle that homosexuals should feel shame for what and who they were and the literal opposite of shame would be pride. In practice though, it’s about that middle ground of neither shame or pride, just being.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It always seemed odd to me to take pride in something you haven't actually accomplished. Sexual orientation isn't an achievement, any more than left handedness or blue eyes.
I can appreciate such parades as celebrations, perhaps, but I wouldn't take any personal pride in my orientation, race or nationality.

But that's just me.
The point of gay "pride" events is to show they have nothing to be ashamed of, to overcome stigma. It's not about being proud of being gay, per se.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Enoch07 , Maybe this was already addressed ( I haven't read the entire thread ), but I'm curious about your opinion:

The article references "Super Happy Fun America, a group that advocates on behalf of the straight community," In your opinion, does the straight community need advocacy? If so, why?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point of gay "pride" events is to show they have nothing to be ashamed of, to overcome stigma. It's not about being proud of being gay, per se.
Understood, and I agree with the sentiment. I've marched in pride parades with gay friends myself. But, as HonestJoe pointed out, "pride" isn't the best term for the movement. IMHO, pride is more than a lack of shame. It should be reserved for achievements.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
My point is that if the Gay community wants their rights, then the same counts for the straight community too. But there will not be peace between those groups as long as someone makes fun of the other groups. why not try to work together to celebrate being a human being, instead of pulling the sexuality on to the streets? Just be a human being, that is enough
Well the thing is, "the straight community" already have the rights that gay people had/have to fight tooth and nail for. That might be the difference.

HonestJoe

Understood, and I agree with the sentiment. I've marched in pride parades with gay friends myself. But, as HonestJoe pointed out, "pride" isn't the best term for the movement. IMHO, pride is more than a lack of shame. It should be reserved for achievements.
I said it wasn’t the best choice in hindsight. It is the commonly recognised name for this kind of event now and the purpose is perfectly understandable by anyone who doesn’t want to wilfully misrepresent it. I don’t think the effort they’d have to put in to agree on and establish a new name for the events would be worth it. It isn’t going to change anyone’s attitude and would only serve as ammunition for those who would misrepresent the meaning in the first place.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Amanaki ,

This is something that I have mentioned in the past; isolation can lead to a lack of empathy. Perhaps the reason you are not aware of why LGBTQ+ people feel persecuted is because, literally, you are not aware of it.

Also, aversion is a form of attachment. If a person feels uncomfortable in the presence of people showing affection for each other, the discomfort ( in my opinion ) is a distraction. On a deeper level, isn't the affection people express for each other more significant than the physical activity?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Not unnatural, but maybe some, not all do act a little over the top to get attention. But i do not judge them, i only asked a question, but now it look like you turning against me because i dare to seak and ask questions
I saw the same thing in your reply, my friend. Determining that 1 form of physical affection between adults is natural, and another form of physical affection is unnatural specifically based on venue is an attachment.

Whether or not this attachment is constructive or destructive depends on an indidivual's goals for themselves.

This isn't an attack, I'm trying to help you. Using the word "unnatural" when describing people engaging in physical affection with someone of the same gender is **very painful** for some people to read/hear. I think it's something you should keep in mind.

And

If seeing people engage in this activity renders discomfort; I think that should be examined. It could be an unrecognized anchor.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not unnatural, but maybe some, not all do act a little over the top to get attention. But I do not judge them, I only asked a question, but now it looks like you turning against me because I dare to speak and ask questions
You're basically asking in a way that blames the victim. It doesn't matter how they act, being gay is enough to be "unnatural" and deserving of violence in the eyes of some, put to death according to some. But it wouldn't have happened if they just acted as I expected them to, just as I beat my wife because she doesn't behave and I raped that girl because she asked for it the way she was dressed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have deleted all my previous posts in this treated. because it turned in to an attack of my personally, and that will not benefit this thread.

I understand even i am not against Gay people, there will not be a rightful discussion
I am trully sorry if i offended any of your guys, that was not my intention.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I have deleted all my previous posts in this treated. because it turned in to an attack of my personally, and that will not benefit this thread.

I understand even i am not against Gay people, there will not be a rightful discussion
I am trully sorry if i offended any of your guys, that was not my intention.
No one was attacking you personally, all I wanted is to clarify what you meant.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It would have been better to delete them because their words would have been painful for others to read.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You need a french-sounding term.

Like the La Cage aux Folles parade.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What is the difference between physical affection and exhibitionism?

When people are engaged in physical affection, their enjoyment is derived from each other. When people are engaged in exhibitionism, their enjoyment is derived from other people watching or the risk of being caught doing something naughty.

When people are involved in a physical activity in public, if it's exhibitionism, A negative reaction nurtures the exhibitionism.

Because of this, if exhibitionism is something that is deemed morally unfavorable, the best thing to do is ignore it.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
What is the difference between physical affection and exhibitionism?

When people are engaged in physical affection, their enjoyment is derived from each other. When people are engaged in exhibitionism, their enjoyment is derived from other people watching or the risk of being caught doing something naughty.

When people are involved in a physical activity in public, if it's exhibitionism, A negative reaction nurtures the exhibitionism.

Because of this, if exhibitionism is something that is deemed morally unfavorable, the best thing to do is ignore it.
We can be a passionate species. Spontaneous displays of joy and affection should not surprise or disgust anyone, rather we should be happy that people can find joy and display affection towards each other in this world.