• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story of Jesus Christ was a HOAX designed to control the people

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
@EtuMalku

Let me take this rare opportunity to agree with you about something. :)

Although I wouldnt say the scam itself was orchestrated by Rome, it was certainly polished up as a tool for controlling the unthinking masses at 1st Nicea in 325 ad.

The scam itself I would attribute to Saul of Tarsus, who was opertunistic beyond measure. Did you know his epistles actually predate the Gospels?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
That's IT!
I'm throwing in the towel and becoming a pagan.
Thanks to the O.P. for a totally unbiased report with almost
ZERO credible sources.
WOW!
Opinions are like anal orifices and worth as much.
Some are not one bit afraid to display theirs in public.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tend to think Christianity aa being a Roman invention. An unconventional psychological experiment.

It would certainly explain a lot concerning passages touting submission, obedience, and authority under the venier of creating a centralised "controllable" figure that people would follow.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

It is a pet project, but one that's amazingly plausible nonetheless.

jeager106

Premium Member
Your source of one: Joseph Atwell
The staunch atheist who claims to know God does not exist is as guilty as the far right fundamentalist. Both claim to possess information they don’t have.

Hey buddy. Check out your sources prior to posting the preposterous.
Or at least post another side of the argument. If you do so you won't seem to
be someone swayed by simply reading something preposterous.

More...................
This is a serious flaw in Atwill’s work. He makes claims but doesn’t seem to realize how ridiculous they actually are; it is that scholars find his work “outlandish”. It is just plain wrong. I mean it is still crazy talk, but it is more that his whole premise is wrong.

For example, like all sensationalist crap-dealers, Mr, Atwill claims to have discovered the secret, super-dooper, hidden code in the text. Amazing! I self-proclaimed “Biblical scholar”, with no formal training in the material, has used his magic decoder ring and stumbled upon a code! How clever of him.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/...-proven-that-jesus-was-made-up-by-the-romans/

Extra ordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Please research claims and post that extraordinary evidence.
Atwill will is a shill.
All here should google him up and learn what a shyster he is.

I could post, and post, and post, more, and more, and more, WITH citations but the onus
is on you.:D:D

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Your source of one: Joseph Atwell
The staunch atheist who claims to know God does not exist is as guilty as the far right fundamentalist. Both claim to possess information they don’t have.

Hey buddy. Check out your sources prior to posting the preposterous.
Or at least post another side of the argument. If you do so you won't seem to
be someone swayed by simply reading something preposterous.

More...................
This is a serious flaw in Atwill’s work. He makes claims but doesn’t seem to realize how ridiculous they actually are; it is that scholars find his work “outlandish”. It is just plain wrong. I mean it is still crazy talk, but it is more that his whole premise is wrong.

For example, like all sensationalist crap-dealers, Mr, Atwill claims to have discovered the secret, super-dooper, hidden code in the text. Amazing! I self-proclaimed “Biblical scholar”, with no formal training in the material, has used his magic decoder ring and stumbled upon a code! How clever of him.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/...-proven-that-jesus-was-made-up-by-the-romans/

Extra ordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Please research claims and post that extraordinary evidence.
Atwill will is a shill.
All here should google him up and learn what a shyster he is.

I could post, and post, and post, more, and more, and more, WITH citations but the onus
is on you.:D:D
You can attack the author of this book / theory all you want, the theory itself remains and is certainly worth looking into as it makes ahelluva lot more sense than some omnipotent dude in the sky theory.

. . . oh, and I'm not your 'buddy' :smilingimp:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Actually, it's not, but I'm sure he'll sell a few books. *Yawn*

I'd probably buy his book too. I'm a sucker for anything like that. *grin*

I just find it interesting to think about. Its just something I think could possibly have happened.

I haven't found any peer review yet on the subject. Atwill or otherwise.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
controversial Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill.
His theory doesn't add up, he claim the Flavians made jesus fit with their narrative... Yet 200 years after the Flavians; Constantine didn't accept Christianity until the end of his life.

It really has so many holes in the case, i don't deny allot of Christianity comes from the Roman Empire, yet it is more on Paul's letters.

http://caesarsmessiahdebunked.com/ etc

Laika

Premium Member
Christianity is a baseless religion that was designed by the Roman empire to justify slavery and pacify the citizens, according to controversial Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/693817/Jesus-Christ-HOAX-Biblical-christianity-roman-empire

I think this is projecting 21st century propaganda techniques, the power of the mass media and the ability to repeat lies till people believe they are true back into the 1st century AD.

It is hard to see how anyone in the Roman Empire could have created a religion to unite most of Europe under Roman rule when the fastest speed of disseminating ideas is horse power and word of mouth. It's not impossible but very unlikely as it took until 380AD for Christianity to become the official religion of the Roman Empire. That is nearly four centuries later- and that would require an extreme level of hindsight.

If I got this right, the Romans polytheism was how they would co-opt local tribes by making the local god part of the religion. The issue with Judaism was its monotheism and exclusivity meant it wasn't comparable with the Roman pattern. Christianity was therefore originally a threat to this system when it began.

True, Christianity was used as a political weapon throughout its existence, but that isn't the same as saying it originated for that purpose.

In essence, this is a conspiracy theory combined with denying the historical existence of Jesus. In fairness, I would have to look into it in more detail to know whether it's right or wrong, but the present period is one in which conspiracy theories are disseminated extremely easily and fit a desire to believe in hidden and powerful forces governing behind the scenes in order to feel a sense of control and security. I am reluctant to accept it at face value for that reason because, whilst this may appeal to my anti-religious prejudices, that is not the same as saying it is actually objectively and historically true.

jeager106

Premium Member
You can attack the author of this book / theory all you want, the theory itself remains and is certainly worth looking into as it makes ahelluva lot more sense than some omnipotent dude in the sky theory.

. . . oh, and I'm not your 'buddy' :smilingimp:

Awwww. Not nice. You hurt my feelings.:(:(
Please bear in mind these posts are not to be meant as personal attacks.
Thank you.

I think this is projecting 21st century propaganda techniques, the power of the mass media and the ability to repeat lies till people believe they are true back into the 1st century AD.

It is hard to see how anyone in the Roman Empire could have created a religion to unite most of Europe under Roman rule when the fastest speed of disseminating ideas is horse power and word of mouth. It's not impossible but very unlikely as it took until 380AD for Christianity to become the official religion of the Roman Empire. That is nearly four centuries later- and that would require an extreme level of hindsight.

I was about to say something similar but you already did it. :D

All of these 'religions were designed to control the masses' type arguments vastly overestimate the power of the state to impose their will on the masses. It's not like he was the only prophet to appear in the ME and all you had to do was tell people to follow him and they would kindly oblige.

They also play into a psychological need to believe in order and structure rather than accept the randomness and caprice of many of the things that shape the world we live in. They are presented as 'free thinking' and 'liberating' but are actually very conformist views that believe human society to be rational and controllable.

I'm also unsure about why they suddenly felt the need to justify slavery; a world without slavery would have been unthinkable back then to most people.