• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Storms over Europe

Notanumber

A Free Man
We had moved to France before Desmond hit. My parents were essentially on the edge of it but it was a worry for them as they watched the River Ribble rise and begin to flood land in front of their house. Closer and closer until they had to evacuate the animals from the barn then the house. It took 6 months to dry out the walls and put the damage right.

The only good side to come from it, abandoning the farm (and selling the stock) meant they could spend the holiday season with us. Their first break for several years

Was your farm anywhere near here?

Fishwick Local Nature Reserve and Recreation Ground

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Its a beautiful bright, blue sky but chilly day and his morning i ventured out to Gourdon, about 25km.

First i passed a friends house on the edge of the village close to the river. It was sitting in a lake. Luckily, 250 years ago the builders had floods in mind when they raised the foundations up to 1/2 a metre above ground level. Water up to the second step but the house is dry

Next came a large tree across the road. "Damn, mega diversion to get round this" as i was slowing to turn round i noticed, some enterprising local had cut a couple of metres out of the trunk, enough to allow a car to pass.

Through the gap, through a village, round a bend to another friends house which was not so lucky, i would guess the home sits about 1/3 metre deep in water. The house is a holiday home with no one home. I phoned with the bad news but they already knew.

Most of the way to Gourdon it seemed as though the road was built over a gigantic lake, with the odd bush, farm building and waterlogged forest.

But the floodwater is receding until next time