• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Storms over Europe

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yesterday and over night storm Elsa hit Europe with over 140 kph winds and torrential rain. Now the storm is weakening and heading for Britain but it leaves behind a death toll of 2 in Portugal and 6 in Spain.
Death toll rises to eight as Storm Elsa wreaks havoc across Europe

We have been protected from the worst the storm could throw at us because we are in a valley. The usually placid River Ceou that meanders through the valley is currently a raging torrent that has burst its banks in several places. Our delightful village Christmas tree has snapped at the base and is now lying on its side with the top 1/3 in the fountain. And woe of woes, we were woken by the loud clattering and scraping of metal at 3:30am. After prising the cat from the ceiling light we checked to see an errant bbq range sliding merrily along the road propelled by ferocious gusts of wind.

Now we have a lull before the more powerful storm Fabien hits with 170+kph winds

sooda

Veteran Member
Yesterday and over night storm Elsa hit Europe with over 140 kph winds and torrential rain. Now the storm is weakening and heading for Britain but it leaves behind a death toll of 2 in Portugal and 6 in Spain.

We have been protected from the worst the storm could throw at us because we are in a valley. The usually placid River Ceou that meanders through the valley is currently a raging torrent that has burst its banks in several places. Our delightful village Christmas tree has snapped at the base and is now lying on its side with the top 1/3 in the fountain. And woe of woes, we were woken by the loud clattering and scraping of metal at 3:30am. After prising the cat from the ceiling light we checked to see an errant bbq range sliding merrily along the road propelled by ferocious gusts of wind.

Now we have a lull before the more powerful storm Fabien hits with 170+kph winds

Stay safe … Have you seen the raging fires in Australia?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
"Move to a quiet French valley...", they said. "it will be safe...", they said....

Seriously, stay safe.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Stay safe … Have you seen the raging fires in Australia?

Cheers, the house walls are over a metre thick so indoors is the place to be.

Yes, i have relatives close by but they are not effected (yet)

I think a couple of Atlantic storms are needed "down under"

sooda

Veteran Member
Cheers, the house walls are over a metre thick so indoors is the place to be.

Yes, i have relatives close by but they are not effected (yet)

I think a couple of Atlantic storms are needed "down under"

Wow... I think the US will get hammered next year. I no longer doubt climate change and human impact on it.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

Meter thick walls sounds like a really good idea. Is this type of storm new for your area?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Meter thick walls sounds like a really good idea. Is this type of storm new for your area?

They are becoming more frequent. Used to be a big one every few years, now... Well lets wait and see how many more we get

The worst in recent memory were Martin and Lothar in 1999. Between them they killed 140, caused €10 billion in damage and destroyed so many trees that firewood was given away for almost 10 years

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Sorry to read that. Hope you stay safe and dry.

I've been binge watching a show called World's Wildest Weather, which features various extreme weather phenomena such as tornadoes, hurricanes, runaway wildfires, mudslides, etc.. This show frequently refers to global warming, which I like very well. That phrase should be attached not just to abstractions like CO2 ppm counts and sea levels, but to also these graphically visible and concrete manifestations of global warming.

It was on this show that I learned about storms Desmond and Eva in late 2015 and early 2016 in Cumbria, England, and a devastating water event with mudslides in Lima, Peru in 2017. What amazes me is that these things are so common now that I hadn't heard about either of these disasters when they occurred.

Anyway, this is apparently the future of weather on earth more and more, and nothing will be done about it until people who deny that there is a problem here suffer personally and directly.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
They are becoming more frequent. Used to be a big one every few years, now... Well lets wait and see how many more we get

The worst in recent memory were Martin and Lothar in 1999. Between them they killed 140, caused €10 billion in damage and destroyed so many trees that firewood was given away for almost 10 years
Hopefully not any more. However, it seems climate change is effecting the entire planet at this point. We are all going to need meter thick walls soon.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sorry to read that. Hope you stay safe and dry.

I've been binge watching a show called World's Wildest Weather, which features various extreme weather phenomena such as tornadoes, hurricanes, runaway wildfires, mudslides, etc.. This show frequently refers to global warming, which I like very well. That phrase should be attached not just to abstractions like CO2 ppm counts and sea levels, but to also these graphically visible and concrete manifestations of global warming.

It was on this show that I learned about storms Desmond and Eva in late 2015 and early 2016 in Cumbria, England, and a devastating water event with mudslides in Lima, Peru in 2017. What amazes me is that these things are so common now that I hadn't heard about either of these disasters when they occurred.

Anyway, this is apparently the future of weather on earth more and more, and nothing will be done about it until people who deny that there is a problem here suffer personally and directly.

We had moved to France before Desmond hit. My parents were essentially on the edge of it but it was a worry for them as they watched the River Ribble rise and begin to flood land in front of their house. Closer and closer until they had to evacuate the animals from the barn then the house. It took 6 months to dry out the walls and put the damage right.

The only good side to come from it, abandoning the farm (and selling the stock) meant they could spend the holiday season with us. Their first break for several years

ChristineM

Premium Member
What's with naming storms, for Pete's sake. I look forward to hearing some day on the news about 'Sunny day Fred' or 'clear night Kate'...just sayin'.

Actually a bit more than storms. More cyclone than storm but you know us Europeans, we don't like to mouth off?
A trend i think began in America

Tropical Cyclone Names