• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stories to inspire

FineLinen

Dope on a Rope

There once was a criminal who had committed a crime

He was sent to the king for his punishment.

The king told him he had a choice of two punishments.

He could be hung by a rope.

Or take what’s behind the big, dark, scary, mysterious iron door.

The criminal quickly decided on the rope.

As the noose was being slipped on him, he turned to the king and asked:

“By the way, out of curiosity, what’s behind that door?”

The king laughed and said:

“You know, it’s funny, I offer everyone the same choice, and nearly everyone picks the rope.”

“So,” said the criminal, “Tell me. What’s behind the door?

I mean, obviously, I won’t tell anyone,” he said, pointing to the noose around his neck.

The king paused then answered:

“Freedom, but it seems most people are so afraid of the unknown that they immediately take the rope.”

FineLinen

Louis Zamperini

Initially, Louis Zamperini’s greatest obstacle was his own mortality. During World War II, his entire focus was on surviving, and the odds continued to be against him. He joined the Air Force in 1941 and was stationed on the Pacific as a bombardier on a B-24 Liberator bomber. At that time, flying into combat was only half the danger. Due to numerous technical problems and inadequate training, more than 50,000 airmen died in non-combat related accidents. So it was not unusual that Louis’ plane crashed into the ocean as he and his crewmates flew on a search and rescue mission for another plane that went down earlier.

What was unusual, however, was that Louis survived the crash and the subsequent 47 days on a raft.

“The odds of being rescued if you ended up on a life raft were terrible,” Laura Hillenbrand, author of Zamperini’s biography Unbroken, told NPR in 2010. “The rafts were very poorly equipped.” Louis and his crewmate survived at sea longer than any other known survivors, drinking rainwater and eating the fish they managed to catch.

But his ordeal and struggle to survive had only just begun. Emaciated and weak from sitting in the lifeboat, Louis was discovered and captured by the Japanese and eventually sent to a brutal POW camp where he was beaten, starved and overworked.

Due to his fame—he had competed in the 1936 Olympics and was one of the fastest distance runners in the world—a jealous and sadistic prison guard, Mutsuhiro Watanabe, whom the prisoners nicknamed “the Bird,” singled Louis out for particularly cruel treatment.

These events are dramatized in the movie Unbroken, based on Hillenbrand’s best-selling book. Amazingly, he survived two years in the POW camps before being released when the war ended.

At last he went home—he was free and no longer living under the threat of death every day. But now he faced a new and unexpected obstacle, living with the trauma of the past two years and the inescapable memories of the brutal treatment he received. “Louis came home a deeply, deeply haunted man,” Hillenbrand says.

Once his physical needs were finally met and the brutality of the war was over, Louis had to confront his feelings about what had happened to him. Every night he would wake up screaming from horrible nightmares about the cruel guard who had nearly killed him and tried to break his spirit. His thoughts would return to his horrific experiences and he would relive the beatings in his mind. Coping with the traumas of the past—what would now be diagnosed as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)—was an obstacle he had not prepared for. He began abusing alcohol and soon his marriage began to suffer.

Fortunately, true to his resilient spirit, Louis found ways to overcome this new obstacle, just as he overcame the odds during the war. Louis overcame PTSD and went on to live nearly 70 more fruitful and happy years, free from the terrors of the past.

FineLinen

Jaime Georgi

When I think of the definition of insurmountable, which means “something too great to overcome”, the first thing that comes to mind is that all things are possible and nothing in life is too great to overcome!

When life gets heavy (whether you are chasing a dream, having personal challenges, etc.) it is simply a sign that it is time to grow a little more, a test of your faith or signal that an area of your spirit needs healing and it is time to level up. Ultimately, these things only come about to take you to the next level of alignment that is awaiting you.

Personally, I have definitely had my share of challenges that I thought were going to break me. There were days I did not even want to leave the house because my spirit was broken and I knew it would reflect in my energy towards others… Especially when I decided to step into my purpose. I almost gave up many times (in the moment), only to remind myself that at the end of the day I do not want to look back on this time and space and realize I folded no matter how intense the pressure was. I constantly reminded myself of this daily, and had a few trusted friends & family to support me along the way.

Long story short, if you ever find yourself feeling like you want to give up, I challenge you to remember these things:

-Pray & Believe! Prayer changes things.
-Words have power; watch your words.
-Trust the process!
-Everything is mental! Your mind will believe whatever you tell it; so stay positive even when you are unsure.
-Always practice gratitude & keep a gratitude journal. There is always something to be grateful for.
-Feelings don’t matter! Too often we make permanent decisions based on temporary feelings. Think before you act! Feelings change from day to day and sometimes you may actually discover that what you felt was not as detrimental as you thought.
-The time will pass no matter what, so always strive to do your best.
-Always bet on yourself and have faith!
-Create a list of goals that you have faith for and execute the work by listing action items. Then release it to the universe and move on to the next.
-Trigger points/challenges are often an indicator of an area in need of healing. Be willing to heal!
-Pressure makes diamonds, and you were born to shine!!
-Growth is uncomfortable and a part of life. Anything not growing is dead!
-When feeling overwhelmed, its okay to rest & reset. Each day is chance to start over!
-Be kind to yourself!
-Be resilient!

The race is not given to the swift. Even if you feel like you are all alone, keep going. It is all about endurance and getting back up again, again & again!!

FineLinen

Tenille Johnson

Your thoughts are some of the most powerful tools you have at your disposal. Our thoughts and what we believe to be true about ourselves and our lives, most often dictate the trajectory of our future. So, start with changing what you believe about the challenges you face and your ability to meet and overcome those challenges. Whether it’s reciting affirmations until you believe them, asking for guidance from your Creator, or drawing strength from recalling times in your life when you’ve met and successfully overcome similar challenges, choose an action you can take to strengthen your approach to overcoming the challenge.

Remember that challenges are opportunities to grow and expand.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, my mother passed away after battling cancer. I wasn’t where I wanted to be emotionally, financially, or mentally. I had no idea how I would be able to face all that I was up against. I chose to take it day by day, seek wisdom from my Creator & be more equipped to shoulder the new responsibilities that would accompany the many new blessings showing up in my life.

FineLinen

When God Works through Weakness

Paul David Tripp entered the hospital with what he thought was a minor issue and began a journey with pain and suffering for which he felt completely unprepared.

Through his weakness, he grappled with his loss of control, wondering what God was doing in his life, and what good could come from his trials.

Because I did not have the power or control to make Mr. Hardship leave, I ran to the place where I have always found wisdom, hope, and rest of heart. I ran to the gospel of Jesus Christ, and in so doing, into the arms of my Savior.

As I dove into the narrative of the gospel, which is the core message of God’s Word, I realized something profoundly important and wonderfully comforting: I wasn’t unprepared after all. The message of God’s sovereign control over me and my world, the gospel’s honesty about life in this fallen world, the comfort of the right-here, right-now presence and grace of the Savior, and the insight into the spiritual war that rages in my heart had prepared me well for the entrance and presence of this unwelcome stranger.

FineLinen

History of I Have Decided to Follow Jesus.

About 150 years ago, there was a great revival in Wales. As a result of this, many missionaries came to north-east India to spread the Gospel. The region known as Assam was comprised of hundreds of tribes who were primitive and aggressive head-hunters.

Into these hostile and aggressive communities, came a group of missionaries from the American Baptist Missions spreading the message of love, peace and hope in Jesus Christ.

Naturally, they were not welcomed. One missionary succeeded in converting a man, his wife, and two children. This man’s faith proved contagious and many villagers began to accept Christianity.

Angry, the village chief summoned all the villagers. He then called the family who had first converted to renounce their faith in public or face execution.

Moved by the Holy Spirit, the man instantly composed a song which became famous down the years.

He sang: “I have decided to follow Jesus. I have decided to follow Jesus. I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back, no turning back.”

Enraged at the refusal of the man, the chief ordered his archers to arrow down the two children. As both boys lay twitching on the floor, the chief asked, “Will you deny your faith? You have lost both your children. You will lose your wife too.”

But the man sang these words in reply:

“Though no one joins me, still I will follow. Though no one joins me, still I will follow. Though no one joins me, still I will follow. No turning back, no turning back.”

FineLinen

Amazing Grace, John Newton

Most of us have heard the familiar words, “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.”

The author of the hymn was, by his own admission, a “wretch.” He was a slave trader, a blasphemer, a rebel, an immoral man, a torturer, and as far from grace as anyone could ever be.

As a boy, John was captivated by the adventure and risk of life on the high seas.

When he was eleven, young John Newton launched into that exciting life of voyaging, sailing, and living his dream. But the dream turned out to be a nightmare.

Later in life he wrote, “I sinned with a high hand, and I made it my study to tempt and seduce others.”

Newton lived a hard life with hard consequences.

God got his attention though. In 1748, Newton’s slave ship was nearly wrecked by an intense storm. In the tempest, surrounded by crashing waves, cutting winds, creaking timbers, and the cries of onboard slaves, John fell to his knees and pled for mercy, and for grace.

God’s grace, which reaches anyone, anywhere, saved a wretch like John Newton.

Newton wrote the song years later while serving as a pastor in Olney, England.

During America’s Second Great Awakening, the song was paired with its familiar tune and was widely used in camp meetings and revival services.

Today, its lyrics still inspire, encourage, and instruct people about the radical reality of God’s amazing grace.

FineLinen

What a friend we have in Jesus

In 1844 a young Irishman, Joseph Scriven, had completed his college education and returned home to marry his sweetheart. As he was traveling to meet her on the day before the planned wedding, he came upon a horrible scene—his beautiful fiancée tragically lying under the water in a creek bed after falling off her horse.

Later, Scriven moved to Canada and eventually fell in love again, only to experience devastation once more when she became ill and died just weeks before their marriage. For the second time, this humble Christian felt the loss of the woman he loved.

The following year, he wrote a poem to his mother in Ireland that described the deep friendship with Jesus he had cultivated in prayer through the hardships of his life.

The poem was published anonymously at first under the title, “Pray Without Ceasing.”

Ten years later, he finally acknowledged this well-loved text had been written by him and his friend, Jesus.

In 1868, attorney Charles Converse set the text to a tune and renamed it “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.”

FineLinen

Tell Them

Some 14 years ago, I stood watching my university students file into the classroom for our opening session in the theology of faith.

That was the day I first saw Tommy. He was combing his hair, which hung six inches below his shoulders. My quick judgment wrote him off as strange – very strange.

Tommy turned out to be my biggest challenge.

He constantly objected to or smirked at the possibility of an unconditionally loving God.

When he turned in his final exam at the end of the course, he asked in a slightly cynical tone, “Do you think I’ll ever find God?”

“No,” I said emphatically.

“Oh,” he responded. “I thought that was the product you were pushing.”

I let him get five steps from the door and then called out.

“I don’t think you’ll ever find Him, but I am certain He will find you.”

Tommy shrugged and left. I felt slightly disappointed that he had missed my clever line.

Later I heard that Tommy had graduated, and I was grateful for that. Then came a sad report: Tommy had terminal cancer. Before I could search him out, he came to me. When he walked into my office, his body was badly wasted, and his long hair had fallen out because of chemotherapy. But his eyes were bright and his voice, for the first time, was firm.

“Tommy! I’ve thought about you so often. I heard you were very sick,” I blurted out.

“Oh, yes, very sick. I have cancer. It’s a matter of weeks.”

“Can you talk about it?”

“Sure. What would you like to know?”

“What’s it like to be only 24 and know that you’re dying?”

“It could be worse,” he told me, “like being 50 and thinking that drinking booze, seducing women and making money are the real ‘biggies’ in life.”

Then he told me why he had come.

“It was something you said to me on the last day of class. I asked if you thought I would ever find God, and you said no, which surprised me. Then you said, ‘But He will find you.’ I thought about that a lot, even though my search for God was hardly intense at that time. But when the doctors removed a lump from my groin and told me that it was malignant, I got serious about locating God. And when the malignancy spread into my vital organs, I really began banging against the bronze doors of heaven. But nothing happened.

Well, one day I woke up, and instead of my desperate attempts to get some kind of message, I just quit.

I decided I didn’t really care about God, an afterlife, or anything like that. I decided to spend what time I had left doing something more important. I thought about you and something else you had said: ‘The essential sadness is to go through life without loving. But it would be almost equally sad to leave this world without ever telling those you loved that you loved them.’ So I began with the hardest one: my dad.”

Tommy’s father had been reading the newspaper when his son approached him.

“Dad, I would like to talk with you.”

“Well, talk.”

“I mean, it’s really important.”

The newspaper came down three slow inches.

“What is it?”

“Dad, I love you. I just wanted you to know that.”

Tommy smiled at me as he recounted the moment. “The newspaper fluttered to the floor. Then my father did two things I couldn’t remember him doing before. He cried and he hugged me. And we talked all night, even though he had to go to work the next morning.

“It was easier with my mother and little brother,” Tommy continued. “They cried with me, and we hugged one another, and shared the things we had been keeping secret for so long. Here I was, in the shadow of death, and I was just beginning to open up to all the people I had actually been close to.

“Then one day I turned around and God was there.

He didn’t come to me when I pleaded with Him. Apparently He does things in His own way and at His own hour. The important thing is that you were right. He found me even after I stopped looking for Him.”

“Tommy,” I added, “could I ask you a favor? Would you come to my theology-of-faith course and tell my students what you told me?”

Though we scheduled a date, he never made it. Of course, his life was not really ended by his death, only changed. He made the great step from faith into vision. He found a life far more beautiful than the eye of humanity has ever seen or the mind ever imagined.

Before he died, we talked one last time. “I’m not going to make it to your class,” he said. “I know, Tommy.”

“Will you tell them for me?

Will you . . . tell the whole world for me?”

“I will, Tommy. I’ll tell them.”

FineLinen

There’s Always Room at His Table

In September of 1985, when I was 24, my folks decided to get divorced. I was taught that to be a good son, I needed to be supportive and loving to each parent and to my siblings. But nobody was talking to anybody.

If you were nice to one parent, the other one would get mad at you. So when October came, I thought, What’s going to happen at Thanksgiving? And I just did not like the thought of being home alone—or anywhere alone—on Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is not about gifts or fireworks or hoopla. It’s a meal around a table where you give thanks for the blessings you have, and you really can’t do that by yourself and have much fun.

I decided to put an ad in the local paper: If people thought they would find themselves alone, they could give me a call, and I would make a Thanksgiving dinner. That first year, a few people came, and they had a good time. I was nervous about making a mess out of the food and disappointing people. But the food was OK, and I didn’t burn anything.

I’ve held the dinner every year since.

Last Thanksgiving, 84 people showed up. Sometimes they’re new to town; sometimes they’re recently divorced or widowed. I’ve had people who were new to the country and didn’t speak any English, but they enjoyed my Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve had poor people, people who come from AA, old people. Also, not counted within that number: I always feed the police. The firefighters and EMTs are in buildings with kitchens and can have their own Thanksgiving dinner among themselves, but the police officers are in their cars, driving around town on call.

Two years ago, a woman with Parkinson’s disease came, and she was not good on her feet. She had been in a nursing home for seven years and had never been out. Somebody told her about the dinner, and she hired an ambulance to bring her, at $200 plus mileage. She had a great time, and she cried when the ambulance returned to get her. She didn’t want to go home.

Most of the people who come don’t know who I am.

They know that there’s some skinny guy in the kitchen, but they don’t know my name. I think the theme of my life, and everything I do, could be summed up with the name of an old hymn called “Brighten the Corner Where You Are.” I hope my legacy will be that I came into the world, I brightened the corner, and then I quietly left the world unnoticed.

Recorded on October 21, 2010. This year, Scott will host his 28th Thanksgiving dinner, which will be held at the First Baptist Church in Melrose, Massachusetts. He’ll spend the day before the feast decorating the room, and on Thanksgiving, he’ll arrive at 4 a.m. to put the turkeys in the oven. -Scott Macaulay-

FineLinen

My mom only had one eye. I hated her… She was such an embarrassment. She cooked for students and teachers to support the family.

There was this one day during elementary school where my mom came to say hello to me. I was so embarrassed.

How could she do this to me? I ignored her, threw her a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school one of my classmates said, “EEEE, your mom only has one eye!”

I wanted to bury myself. I also wanted my mom to just disappear. I confronted her that day and said, “If you’re only gonna make me a laughing stock, why don’t you just die?”

My mom did not respond… I didn’t even stop to think for a second about what I had said, because I was full of anger. I was oblivious to her feelings.

I wanted out of that house, and have nothing to do with her. So I studied real hard, got a chance to go abroad to study.

Then, I got married.

I bought a house of my own. I had kids of my own. I was happy with my life, my kids and the comforts. Then one day, my Mother came to visit me. She hadn’t seen me in years and she didn’t even meet her grandchildren.

When she stood by the door, my children laughed at her, and I yelled at her for coming over uninvited. I screamed at her, “How dare you come to my house and scare my children! GET OUT OF HERE! NOW!!!”

And to this, my mother quietly answered, “Oh, I’m so sorry. I may have gotten the wrong address.” – and she disappeared out of sight.

One day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house. So I lied to my wife that I was going on a business trip. After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity.

My neighbors said that she died. I did not shed a single tear. They handed me a letter that she had wanted me to have.

“My dearest son,

I think of you all the time. I’m sorry that I came to your house and scared your children.

I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion. But I may not be able to even get out of bed to see you. I’m sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were growing up.

You see……..when you were very little, you got into an accident, and lost your eye. As a mother, I couldn’t stand watching you having to grow up with one eye. So I gave you mine.

I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my place, with that eye.

With all my love to you,

Your mother.

Last edited:

FineLinen

In December 2001, Barry Parr was working as a window cleaner in a tiny UK village.

One afternoon, just as he was finishing a job, he heard a yell and looked up to see a 14-year-old girl preparing to hang herself from a nearby tree.

Already showing signs of his incipient heroism, Parr grabbed his ladder and raced across the road to try and talk her down.

And that’s when things got real.The moment Parr started to climb his ladder, the girl jumped.

Luckily, Parr managed to catch her in his arms, holding her far enough off the ground to save her life.

Less luckily, he found himself now stuck up a ladder, holding a violent teenage girl desperate to squirm out of his grasp and finish the job.

Bear in mind this was the middle of a very cold winter, and the two were all alone in the village.

How long do you think Parr managed to hold her up for? Ten minutes? Twenty?

It was a whole hour.

For an entire hour, Parr balanced on his ladder, holding a hysterical, suicidal girl aloft in the searing cold.

Eventually someone realized this wasn’t performance act and called the cops—but not before Parr had proven how far the world was ready to go to keep this one lonely girl alive.

FineLinen

I was in my 30's, and had ended up losing everything, lost my family due to tragic circumstance, ended up with two types of cancer, and was homeless ( I had basically just given up on life).

I had decided that cancer was my death sentence and had relegated myself to living in the woods ( Bad choice, it turned out to be the coldest winter on record in my area for 30 years ).

One day, I had a few dollars in my pocket, ( Literally ) and I schlepped down to McD's ( Something I normally avoid like the plague ) because I had gotten tired of crawling into dumpsters looking for food.

I bought several burgers, and as I sat in the corner, observing the lunchtime crowd come and go, I noticed a man come in, and go from person to person, engaging each in a short conversation then moving to the next.

He was trying to sell some posters he had hand drawn, but there were no takers.

He looked over, saw me watching, then came over to give me his sales pitch. I calmly listened to his pitch, which was essentially " I'm hungry, I'm trying to sell these so I can get some food. "

Now,... I am well familiar with the rough life of being homeless, as not only was I myself homeless at the time, I had spent most of my teen years on the streets, hooked on drugs, being a hellion child, etc, but,..I also know that due to outreach programs, churches, and food banks, that even if one is homeless in my town, 3 squares a day is easily had for free, so there's no reason to sell things to eat.

So, I just gave him 2 burgers, which he sat down and inhaled, and after he was finished, I asked what his story was, how he'd ended up in this situation ( I hadn't told him I was also not doing great ), and he told a tale I've seen and lived firsthand, and that is an addiction to crack ( My teen years ).

He had been a successful contractor, had his own business, 20 or so employees, married, kids, and had lost it all in a few short months.

I felt so bad for this man, because I knew what it was like to end up at the bottom, so I in turn told him my story, I admitted to being homeless, sick, etc, and for some reason he was just shocked that I would have given him 2/3 of my food when I myself was scraping bottom.

We sat and talked for some time, perhaps 45 minutes, and he told me of wanting to get his life back together, and wanting to go to school to become an architect, I wished him luck and we parted ways.

I trundled back to my little shelter I had built in the woods, and as I sat there, looking out of the doorway and watching the birds eat ( I always feed the birds ), I started to think about what was in front of me.

Little tiny fragile birds, walking around in the snow, in temperatures that were about -10f ....I was partially frozen, yet these little birds were hopping around, happily chirping, seemingly without a care in the world, oblivious to the harsh environment I found myself surrounded by.

I thought to myself, " That's true grit right there, why am I not as tough as a little bird ? "

Then, slowly, the birds had their fill and embarked on their daily flights, leaving me to my silence, but more importantly, the question in my mind.

As I pondered, one small sparrow landed in front of me to feed, and I immediately thought it odd, as these birds usually travel in groups, with family and friends.

This particular sparrow, had a deformity, a club foot, and was basically hobbling around with one foot, and had been ostracized from it's community ( Common with animals in the wild when one has a deformity ).

Realistically, in the wild, animals that have deformities / injuries don't fare that well, they end up being eaten, or die from their inability to feed themselves.

Then, I thought " Why am I not as tough as THAT sparrow ? ", because that was the one I really identified with.

This was the day when I decided I could not give up.

It took several months to eventually find two jobs, then maintain them all the while keeping it a secret that I was living in the woods, had cancer, etc.

I just kept my nose to the wheel and moved on, always remembering that one sparrow.

Now during this time of trying to get it back together, I would occasionally run into the man I met in McDonalds, in the library, where he would come to study ( He had found a residence, gotten stable, then entered school to become an architect ) and every few weeks I would run into him in the library.

I eventually regained my hold on life, and the last time I ran into him, he had just become a certified architect and was getting back together with his family.

All that from a few cheap hamburgers and a crippled sparrow, who would have thunk it.

FineLinen

Hymn: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Robert Robinson was what you would call an “unruly child.”

At only eight years old his father died, and he was raised by his loving mother.

In spite of Robert’s intellectual giftedness, he had a penchant for mischief.

Robert’s mother sent him off for an apprenticeship when he was only 14, but once he got out of the home his life got worse.

Instead of working and learning, Robert chose drinking, gambling, and carousing with the wrong crowd.

Caught up in his reckless life, Robert and his friends decided to go to an evangelist meeting one night just to heckle the preacher, George Whitfield.

Sitting in that meeting, however, Robert felt as if the preacher’s words were meant for him alone.

He couldn’t shake the feeling that God wanted him to surrender his life and serve him.

When he was twenty, Robinson surrendered his life to the Lord of all and entered the Christian ministry.

At the age of 22, he wrote the song “Come Thou Fount,” for his church’s Pentecost celebration.

It was written as his own spiritual story — a story of pursuing pleasure and joy, and only experiencing it when “Jesus sought me.”

Millions of believers can relate to Robinson’s testimony — “Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,” and the glorious testimony, “O to grace how great a debtor daily I’m constrained to be!”

FineLinen

Three Butterflies

My story took place shortly after losing both my parents and I was suffering from a frozen shoulder. It was so painful I wanted to die and I was so depressed because I couldn't call my mom for comfort. All I could do as I waited for my doctor's appointment to come in a few days was to curl up on my bed in the fetal position and cry.

It was dark in the room because I wasn't even able to reach over to turn on the lamp. I thought I was hallucinating from the pain when I saw a glow on the ceiling. I closed my eyes tightly thinking it would go away when I opened my eyes. As I peeked out I saw three beautifully glowing butterflies. Two were fluttering back and forth with each other as if arguing.

Then one moved away from the other and moved near the little one as they fluttered so brilliantly with blue and gold colors. I couldn't believe my eyes and thought it was the pain that was causing me to see things, so I turned over to face away from them.

In a few minutes, I heard a whisper in my ear saying, "Don't cry. You're going to be alright. Keep praying for the strength to get through this. I love you, my sweet daughter." I jumped up and cried out "What, who are you?"

But they were gone. The pain had left me momentarily as I sat on the side of the bed crying because it hit me who the butterflies were. The two larger ones were my mom and dad and the smaller one was my oldest brother who had drowned when he was just seven. To this day I'm not sure if that really happened but it inspired me to write a poem called "Pain's Inspiration" -Jessica Dumas

Dedicated to my dearly beloved brother, mother and father (the 3 butterflies).

FineLinen

An Abandoned Baby

Rodger Prater, who works at Abba's House of Worship Center in Ada, Oklahoma, had a van full of kids when he made the discovery. He and his wife, Nancy, were taking the kids back to church after an outing to an amusement park.

They were cruising down a rural, wooded stretch of I-40 when he spotted a car seat on the side of the road.

"I couldn't fathom it at first," he says. "Then the little boy's feet moved. I told my wife under my breath, ‘I think I see a baby."

Rodger pulled over, and his worry only grew when he didn’t see any movement from the baby boy. The car seat was about 10 feet away from the white line on the shoulder of the busy, two-lane highway."

"His eyes were shut," he says. "I was freaking out. I thought, ‘Don't let there be anything wrong with him.'"

But as soon as Rodger picked up the car seat by the handle, the little boy’s eyes popped open. Rodger rushed to the van, cranking the air conditioning to help cool him down. Nancy held him while he dialed 911.

The 1-month-old boy didn’t show any signs of distress when Rodger found him. Police arrived and estimated the car seat had been sitting on the side of the road for about a half an hour.
"He was just a little fella," Rodger recalls. "Thank God we got there in time."

Emergency personnel took the infant straight to the hospital. Sgt. Gary Knight of the Oklahoma City Police Department confirmed the little boy is just fine. In his car seat, police found a birth certificate, a social security card, and $5,500 in cash.

Of course, the situation could have easily become much more dire had more time passed. But thankfully, the youth pastor found this sweet boy — a miracle he credits to our Heavenly Father.

"All I know is that God intervened," he said.

"One day when the baby is old enough to understand, he can call me and I will tell him that it was no fluke that we found him.

We found him for a reason. I will tell him that God has a plan for his life.

FineLinen

How to change the world

The ninth week of SEAL training is referred to as Hell Week. It is six days of no sleep, constant physical and mental harassment and one special day at the Mud Flats.

The Mud Flats are an area between San Diego and Tijuana where the water runs off and creates the Tijuana slues—a swampy patch of terrain where the mud will engulf you.

It is on Wednesday of Hell Week that you paddle down to the mud flats and spend the next 15 hours trying to survive the freezing-cold mud, the howling wind and the incessant pressure from the instructors to quit.

As the sun began to set that Wednesday evening, my training class, having committed some “egregious infraction of the rules” was ordered into the mud. The mud consumed each man till there was nothing visible but our heads.

The instructors told us we could leave the mud if only five men would quit—just five men and we could get out of the oppressive cold.

Looking around the mud flat, it was apparent that some students were about to give up. It was still over eight hours till the sun came up—eight more hours of bone-chilling cold.

The chattering teeth and shivering moans of the trainees were so loud it was hard to hear anything. And then, one voice began to echo through the night—one voice raised in song.

The song was terribly out of tune, but sung with great enthusiasm.

One voice became two, and two became three, and before long everyone in the class was singing. We knew that if one man could rise above the misery then others could as well.

The instructors threatened us with more time in the mud if we kept up the singing—but the singing persisted. And somehow, the mud seemed a little warmer, the wind a little tamer and the dawn not so far away.

If I have learned anything in my time traveling the world, it is the power of hope.

The power of one person—Washington, Lincoln, King, Mandela and even a young girl from Pakistan named Malala—can change the world by giving people hope.

So, if you want to change the world, start singing when you’re up to your neck in mud.

-The commencement address by Admiral William H. McRaven, ninth commander of U.S. Special Operations Command, at the University of Texas at Austin on 17 May 2014